Tesco & Sainsbury's take over the world

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: I think things have changed forever. I don't we'll be going back to just a handfull of supermarket groups dominating. There has just been a business report on the TV about how Aldi and Lidl ha

As a committed Tescophobe and although experiencing an initial burst of schadenfreude having heard the news this morning, I do agree with Benjamin that in this post industrial country that we live, re

Don't think we should celabrate,shopping habits are changing and it does't help the image of our towns,villages or cities to see all these empty units and the job losses that go with it.

they are trying to build a tesco in sandiacre , it isnt needed but i am sure after they pay off the local council they will get to build it anyway.

its not a small store either, so we got beeston, long eaton and toton now they want another massive store..

its just so wrong that are allowed so many superstores all so close to one another, then there are all the smaller tesco express stores all over the place.

they are trying to build a tesco in sandiacre , it isnt needed but i am sure after they pay off the local council they will get to build it anyway.

its not a small store either, so we got beeston, long eaton and toton now they want another massive store..

its just so wrong that are allowed so many superstores all so close to one another, then there are all the smaller tesco express stores all over the place.

So do you think Tesco have not done their homework ? Course the have.

If there wasn't a need then they would not build. I don't see many Tesco stores closing. Millions of shoppers use Tesco every week for their shopping, they can't all be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Another brand name just came to mind.

VG STORES

The first time I saw this chain was a small village store in Hampshire Circa 1961.

I believe it was an effort by local shops to buy in bulk to compete with the growing supermarket chains.

I have been trying to think of their food brand 'NISA' comes to mind?

They were a national concern AFAIK.

Do they still exist?

Does anyone remember them?

I got quite a shock to see a "Mace" store the other day , but I can't for the life of me remember where !!

Oh and I saw somebody carrying a cardboard box with the "Fine Fare" logo on it a couple of days back too.

Some body tell me they are both still around and I'm not having acid flash backs to the 70s please!!

I may be wrong, but I think VG is an American concern. They used to own (or supply) a lot of the "mom & pop" type stores. You still see them from time-to-time, but not as often as back in the late 70's, early 80's.

As you all know, ASDA is really Wal-Mart (and it shows), who are regarded as the evil monster over here - but in the end, we all vote with our wallets. If we didn't go there and buy stuff, they would go out of business!

Palmer and Harvey used to do wholesale cigarettes, my mum worked part time at a shop in Basford and I recall going with her to their then warehouse on George St circa 1956, Many moons later I worked for them for awhile or rather an offshoot P & H Glassware on Norton Street, as name suggests they supplied pubs not only with glasses but every other item a pub might need, from cleaning materials, beer mats etc through to complete fitted kitchens (my field)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the reason that tesco and sainsburys are buying pubs is because they already have a premises license for the building generally have carparkign spaces so would be a hell of a lot easier to convince the local planners.

No convincing needed - a pub can become a shop without needing any planning permission and that is being exploited by Tesco and Sainsbury all around the country. Bristol City Council, following the troubles over the Tesco there, have requested Central Government change the legislation but that could take some time if ever to happen. The planners will only be involved in things like new signs and any changes to the exterior (like new windows, door, cashpoints, air cond/ventialtion/heating systems)

• 1 year later...

Another appears.

Not sure how long it's been there but it's not more than a few weeks, at the junction of Canal Street & Carrington Street. To give them credit, they've brought life to a building which had been empty and derelict for many years. Back in the 70s & 80s it used to be a NatWest bank.

sainsbury.jpg

• 1 year later...

We all seem to be ignoring Hitlers Reserve Plan? he knew the common market/EU would take time before all of europe became part of the 4th reich so from his bunker he set up a fifth column to infiltrate and destroy our nation of shopkeepers, ALDI !

• Upvote 1

Whilst touring Austria and Germany the other year, I was amazed how many Spar shops there were. I later found out that it is an Austrian company, and virtually every town and village has a Spar shop. There was minimal competition but the prices seemed reasonable. Austria is a beautiful country, very friendly, no litter, vandalism or graffiti. They must be doing something right.

dont like all these super markets, while very handy at night time especially when little one was a new born for emergancy milk etc... i still prefer to go to local green grocers & the butchers, all we need now here is a bakers and ill be sorted! Although im guilty of doing an online shop with asda once every 4 weeks to 'stock up' on other bits n bobs!

We all seem to be ignoring Hitlers Reserve Plan? he knew the common market/EU would take time before all of europe became part of the 4th reich so from his bunker he set up a fifth column to infiltrate and destroy our nation of shopkeepers, ALDI !

Don't forget Lidl !

• 3 months later...