Tesco & Sainsbury's take over the world

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: I think things have changed forever. I don't we'll be going back to just a handfull of supermarket groups dominating. There has just been a business report on the TV about how Aldi and Lidl ha

As a committed Tescophobe and although experiencing an initial burst of schadenfreude having heard the news this morning, I do agree with Benjamin that in this post industrial country that we live, re

Don't think we should celabrate,shopping habits are changing and it does't help the image of our towns,villages or cities to see all these empty units and the job losses that go with it.

Another brand name just came to mind.

VG STORES

The first time I saw this chain was a small village store in Hampshire Circa 1961.

I believe it was an effort by local shops to buy in bulk to compete with the growing supermarket chains.

I have been trying to think of their food brand 'NISA' comes to mind?

They were a national concern AFAIK.

Do they still exist?

Does anyone remember them?

VG STORES where a national franchise with over 2000 shops,ABGibsons of Daybrook where the suppliers for the Midlands,Lincs and East Anglia.

I Joined them in 1969 and my role was to persuade Mace,Spar and other independant retailers to join the VG set up, Nottingham was not as abundant in VG stores as the other places mentioned.A few i remember are beaumonts of Cotgrave,Walthams at East Bridgford,Johnsons on Carlton Hill.

Gibsons sold out in the 80s to Laxons of Coventry who in turn sold out to some international set up .who wer,nt interested in the smaller business and the concept of Voluntary Groups.

There is nothing really new is there,Sainsburys etc are only doing what the small independants were doing years ago,beer-offs used to be opeen till 10pm,then shops like Mace,VG,Spar,Vivo,APT,Wavy line etc copied the American 7-11 stores.

• 4 months later...

Well I should think so, there are too many of them and they are not cheap either...........

Don't think we should celabrate,shopping habits are changing and it does't help the image of our towns,villages or cities to see all these empty units and the job losses that go with it.

• Upvote 3

As a committed Tescophobe and although experiencing an initial burst of schadenfreude having heard the news this morning, I do agree with Benjamin that in this post industrial country that we live, retailing does account for much employment nowadays and any loss is a disaster for those poor folk who will be thrown out of work with little chance of finding employment elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps some of these closures will be filled by the discounters, Aldi and LIDL in due course. Its worth remembering that the big supermarkets are having a bad time because they have been "found out" and are now having to offer good value to survive. As soon as they regain their market share, they will, no doubt increase prices again.

Hot off the press from Mabo, 120 new houses being built at the top of Golf Road, also new pub, petrol station and Tescos, guess which one has pulled out.

Re:

Perhaps some of these closures will be filled by the discounters, Aldi and LIDL in due course. Its worth remembering that the big supermarkets are having a bad time because they have been "found out" and are now having to offer good value to survive. As soon as they regain their market share, they will, no doubt increase prices again.

I think things have changed forever.

I don't we'll be going back to just a handfull of supermarket groups dominating.

There has just been a business report on the TV about how Aldi and Lidl have 'stormed into the market', but I think that analysis is flawed. The behaviour of Tesco's in particular forced people to go to the German discounters. They were here already.

As soon as the big supermarkets put the prices up ridiculously and started selling shoddy, low quality goods - they forced people to go elsewhere.

Tesco have only got themselves to blame. Lying cheating bastards.

All people want is a decent product for a decent price.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

But we have to be careful about just chasing prices downwards, we can easily become (if not already there) a society which knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. I do not mind paying extra for added value and service.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 months later...

I suppose there will be a lot more rubbish in Clifton then. Little brown bags and empty drinks containers blowing all over the place, dumped from the ' hot hatches '.

• Upvote 1

If these chavs who frequent these establishments take the trouble to put their rubbish in the little bags, then why the hell can't they deposit the said bags in bins.

Btw, I'd round up these hot hatches and crush them. ..... Metal shortage solved overnight.

McDonalds in Chilwell retail park even have to employ someone to nip down to Attenborough Nature Reserve and clean up the crap deposited by these morons.

• Upvote 1

We're getting more like America every day. Difference is that the litter problem isn't as bad over there, I think they have more respect for their environment, the places I've been to anyway.

• Upvote 2

Shows what their living rooms must be like then.....LOL

A few years back, a mate of mine was a manager at a supermarket, and he told me the mark up price in fresh fruit and veggies was 100% to cover wastage through over buying.