Tesco & Sainsbury's take over the world

I can honestly say I've only frequented Mc's a couple of times. Once in London, and once when stranded in Algeciras on a Bank Holiday.

I'd rather starve !!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: I think things have changed forever. I don't we'll be going back to just a handfull of supermarket groups dominating. There has just been a business report on the TV about how Aldi and Lidl ha

As a committed Tescophobe and although experiencing an initial burst of schadenfreude having heard the news this morning, I do agree with Benjamin that in this post industrial country that we live, re

Don't think we should celabrate,shopping habits are changing and it does't help the image of our towns,villages or cities to see all these empty units and the job losses that go with it.

Even with $1000 fines if you're caught littering the highways, we still have a mess alongside the roads Lizzie. LOL And most litter is from those from fast food cups, bottles and dirty diapers.....

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

The Clifton thing is now complete and all operating. On the site which used to be the Clifton Car Co and the Man of Trent pub, there is now a group of three consecutive fast food places. A Tesco Express (within the petrol station), a KFC, and a Macdonalds. Is there anywhere else where you can get all three so close?

LTZv6aZ.jpg

Come to Loughborough in about 50 - 60 yards on the Rushes there are at least six fast food outlets. :(

NOT KFC/McDonalds I know but we have more than our share of fast food places

BTW Loughborough has THREE McDonalds :(

Loughborough is a large town but no that big

We have Three Tescos(1 express)

. Two Morrisons(1 Express

One Sainsburys(at the moment :))

One Aldi

+ Five pound shops/discounters

And 16 charity shops.

Bubblewrap @ 81. I dont want to wind you up but down at the old Lough hospital site is a board bragging about 8 family eating places! coming in. and an 8 screen cinema. The human race will die of eating and sitting. and by the way in Viccy Centre Nottm is a board telling all those odd peeps who can read that in there is planned 12 " family orientated" restaurants. It's going to take some getting used to --- this rejunivated Nottingham

Bulwell Ian ?

1 x Morrison's

1 x Tesco

1 x Aldi

1 x Iceland

1 x Farmfoods

1 x Herons

1 x Fultons

1 x Pound Shop

1 x B & M

1 X Wilko's

1 Rip Off Pay Day Loan Shop (pawn shop).

6 x Charity Shops

1 x Mc Donalds

1 KFC

2 Chinese Take Away's

6 x Chip Shops

5 x Cafe's

8 x Pubs

1 x Job Centre.

• Upvote 3

Yes there is red, can only think of two off the top of my head.

Being a clean living christian Bulwell lad I have never had the desire or inclination to visit one of these "dens of iniquities" !

As such, I can honestly say that I have never put a bet on in my life !

Nipping out to Bulwell soon with Mrs Catfan, will have a look.

Catfan. I would imagine that there are a lot of souls want saving in Bulwell. How many religious outlets are there?

Re #82

It's been a while since I was in Loughborough, but having gone to college there in the 70's and seen it develope over the years, I imagine that the large student population has determined the high number of shops / fast food outlets.

I know that at one time Loughborough had more pubs per square mile than any other town in England. They were still building more when I left - with new developments out towards Hathern (including a Davenports pub).

As an impoverished student I learnt the technique of turning up to bakeries about 5.30 p.m. to get the stuff that they were chucking away. I doubt whether that happens anymore.

Places like Greggs aren't even real bakeries. It's all pre-packeged stuff.

Some Greggs don't even sell loaves.

The 'world takeover' strategy that Tesco's and Sainsburys undertook has been reigned back a lot now.

They closed some stores here in London, and some of the plans for big outlets have been cancelled.

It's really not going to go back to the way it was.

Picture in #79 could be easily any main road in suburban Oz, most if not all our shopping centers have almost identical setups. 2 or 3 food outlets, a fuel station come mini mart, usually attached to one of the big supermarket chains.

I can remember when it had two cinemas and a place you could see women with no clothes on!

I love Catfans banter about Bulwell..then Benjamin jumps in- it makes me cracks me up...should have 'her own thread.Amenities seem all to be accounted for,is there a massage parlour as well as a Polski Slep??