• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This lunch time I sliced a loaf on a bread board that I made 65 years ago. I was 13 years old at the time and at Berridge. I turned that bread board on a lathe and the piece of 'deal' was scrap from t

Mr Wren outside the old nesting box,he has some nest building material in his beak     Rog

It seems our little feathered friend are looking to join the housing market so to give them a helping hand or should that be wing I built these for them out of some scraps of wood that was knocking ab

I followed my Zeus book as well but the nearest drill bit I got was 2.5mm. (and just for Bens benefit the cutting medium used was paraffin, I find that best for all soft materials)

Rog

18 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Must get me ''Tapps'' out later........is it still legal?

perfectly legal just don't get your BSF mixed up with the BSW or UNF mixed up with UNC, then you'll be fineslywink

Rog

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Woodworking

Unlikely to get coarse mixed up with fine but the one to beware of is Whit (BSW) vs. UNC.  Both coarse threads, mostly same pitch (so they may appear to fit).  However, Whit is 55 degree thread angle whereas UNC is 60 degree.  The different head size (so different spanner required - Whit vs. AF) is one way to differentiate.

• Like 3
On 11/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, benjamin1945 said:

''Men in sheds'' my worst nightmare.....why ever would men need to get together with their so called ''Pieces of Kit''........when i need summat doing i get somebody in......and i go out..........

Must go got a chap coming round to mend me 'Puncture' on t Bike............:crazy: lol..........

The person who mended my bike has just returned it....gave it a full service mended Puncture and even cleaned it......when the person collected it had a long chat about bikes in general......didnt bore me at all.....had another chat just now when it was returned very interesting person.........''Men in sheds'' eat your heart out......this person was a Lady.......lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

The person who mended my bike has just returned it....gave it a full service mended Puncture and even cleaned it......when the person collected it had a long chat about bikes in general......didnt bore me at all.....had another chat just now when it was returned very interesting person.........''Men in sheds'' eat your heart out......this person was a Lady.......lol

slywinkslywink

Did a bit of woodworks yesterday. Removed a rotted rowlock mounting from one of our club boats while still docked. Replaced the mounting using G clamps then drilled through existing holes so that new bolt holes aligned. Bit tricky using the battery drill from outside of the boat while sitting in the boat. Then did a bit of fishing and caught nowt.

• Like 1

When starting as an apprentice at the ROF straight from school I was faced with these funny measurements - millimetres!? Was not taught anything in metric at school.

The reason for using metric at the ROF was that most drawings were based on Bofors designed guns.

Then there was the mystery of different thread sizes and standards. unc, unf, bsf, bsw, bsp, ba, buttress, acme, square and even a 'bicycle' thread among others!

• Like 1

Not much Whitworth about these days except perhaps for building bridges and repairing beam engines, Fred Dibnah would have known. Even huge ships are now welded together. I started in 1960 at Syd Smith's and some of my work in the gauge shop involved tapered threads to American Petroleum Institute (API) affectionately known in-house as IPA. I guess there's a good reason for the plethora of differently threaded thingies but the differences between some are very small and a pain for stocktaking.

PS I always measure in metric.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

When starting as an apprentice at the ROF straight from school I was faced with these funny measurements - millimetres!?

Never had any issues working in metric except when it came to tightening nuts and bolts. If someone said the torque was 15 ft/lbs of 10inch/lbs you had a rough idea how tight it was, but when they said 45 newton/metres how tight was that?

• Like 2

I still use my old Starrett 0-1" mic for small stuff and automatically convert to metric 'in me ed' . Don't often have to resort to a conversion chart. The training done as a teenager sticks with you forever.

At the ROF most instruments and machines were imperial and the drawings that were in metric were sent up to the drawing office to have key dimensions converted to Imperial. I did my own conversions which caused a problem at the inspection table. The inspectors would not trust 'the lad' so sent the drawing upto the DO for conversion anyway. Seems incredible now that skilled men could not (or would not) do the conversions themselves.

Can't tell you offhand what a rod, chain, gill, bushell or cord is though :) 

• Like 1
On 11/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, benjamin1945 said:

''Men in sheds'' my worst nightmare.....why ever would men need to get together with their so called ''Pieces of Kit''........when i need summat doing i get somebody in......and i go out.......cant hold a conversation with any bloke that wants to talk how he ''Arched a wall'' or ''Bevelled'' summat...or even put a shelf up ........then there are them that want to tell me about how their car engine works.......no wonder ive got no mates is it.......plus dont want any...

But there you go we all different aint we.......

Did i tell you about me new dancing shoes or slim fit Jeans?........

Must go got a chap coming round to mend me 'Puncture' on t Bike............:crazy: lol..........

@benjamin1945Everyone has something they like to do in their shed, the dance hall is obviously your shed! Don the appropriate workwear and go to it.....

• Like 1

In all my time at school there were only 2 Teachers i disliked....and both were 'WOODWORK' Teachers......

Yes.. i was crap at it and being left handed didnt help..

These two seemed to go out of there way to make sure i didn't enjoy the lessons......for instance i made a football 'Rattle'' which was very poor....and the Teacher seemed to take great delight in front of the class in putting it in a 'Vice' and smashing to pieces...i got my own back when i added a certain substance to his Tea  though..lol.....

The second Teacher was even worse...he took charge of the School   football and cricket teams......and the first thing he did was take the 'Captaincy' of me...and give it to a lad who was brilliant at Woodwork but crap at sports..........

Got me own back on him too ..by still bossing everyone about in both games.........Glad when he left after one season in charge....:crazy:

• Like 2

For teachers to be so deliberately unkind to children, they must be very unhappy people themselves - something really bad must have happened to them in their lives to make them behave in this way.  
I was very fortunate to have great teachers at C le W.  There was only one who I wasn’t happy with and, to be honest, I wasn’t very nice to her either (I was a stroppy teenager at that time !!!).  She once wrote on my school report:  “Margaret lacks concentration, consideration and manners”. 

Apart from the two Woodwork Teachers i can honestly say i liked all the others....even the Science Teacher who arranged to have a Motor bike in the classroom after school hours so us boys could 'Strip it down'' and reassemble..:wacko:...........we were all invited to take part......and all did ''EXCEPT ME''...........

Honestly had no interest in anything Mechanical (still don't) Mr James the teacher and the rest of the class could'nt believe my lack of interest......Never tried to repair any sort of engine.........I mean...''what do you wear?''