That sounds a bit like the way I remember it, Ashley. Took my late wife there when we were dating 1963/64. Wasn't even quite sure of how to conduct myself in a such a place at the time. As previously noted, not your average chippy. Can't remember what I had for a main course now but the Tomato soup was pretty good.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then

mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to ge

Correct.

Wasn't even quite sure of how to conduct myself in a such a place at the time.
Knew that feeling! After only visiting chip shops and BALLS "eating house" corner of Chatsworth Avenue/Nottingham Rd Basford (think of similar in film "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"!) came as bit of a shock first time I "went for a meal" ( wallpaper,carpets, table cloth's etc) plus the cost, think nearly £1! no idea actually re the latter but memorable, also forget the name of the establishment but near Trinity Square, a Chinese near Milton's Head, recall the girl left her umbrella and I had to go back next day for such.
  • 2 months later...

Just a thought and may be way off base, but the "cafe" you referred to. Is there a possibility it could be the Moulin-Rouge? It was located on the East side of the square during the 60s.

You are quite right. Just after the war and well into the 50's. the restaurant was called the Moulin Rouge. The family who ran it (I believe they were Indian) also had another place, called either, The Little John or The Robin Hood. It was somewhere in the area of the junction of Upper Parliament and Derby Road. We used to eat there regularly prior to a concert visit at the old Albert Hall.

Whom, I remember singing the Beatles "When I'm 64" That comes this year!

One more year and you should be good for social security if there is any left. no2

67 for me later this year if I last that long. As noted earlier where did the years go.

Seems like only yesterday I was hanging out at Coleman's and the Palais. Now I figure I'm doing pretty good if I make it out of bed in a morning. Gerrin' old!!!

The Robin Hood cafe was on the Island with the shop in it....Corner of Friar lane And Maid marion Way.....Wonder if that shop is still under there or was it removed ??

One more year and you should be good for social security if there is any left. no2

67 for me later this year if I last that long. As noted earlier where did the years go.

Seems like only yesterday I was hanging out at Coleman's and the Palais. Now I figure I'm doing pretty good if I make it out of bed in a morning. Gerrin' old!!!

You can`t be gerrin old. I`m the same age as you - had the same fun at Coleman`s `n the Palais - thumbsup and I`m just approaching middle age!

O-K ladies. I may have been exaggeratin' just a bit, but one does seem to feel it a bit when, to quote wiser older folks. "Everything hurts and what don't hurt don't work!"

They were happy days though, weren't they? Time does seem to be speeding up too, Don't ya' think?

• 3 years later...

The newsagents tobacconists was GT Cliffes my wife's granddad's shop.Originally near Sam's garage till they pulled the row down and moved everyone into temporary shacks across the road. They all then moved back into the new premises at the back of the Evening Post on the new square.

Sadly they were all pulled down again when the Corner house development was built. I have some pics of the original shop and a unique one inside the shack. Shall I post on here or a new post ?

I'd forgotten all about this thread. As noted in the thread how time flies. One things for sure though, Trinity Square looked a lot better back then than I've ever seen it since. Welcome ptmike hope you keep posting, look forward to reading your memories.

And they terminated as follows, number 6 Arnold rd,Bestwood est, 17 Adelphi pictures,carey rd Bulwell, 28 Leybourne drive,Bestwood est.

• 2 months later...

There was also the Moulin Rouge restaurant at 5 Trinity Square. Subsequently became a takeaway. But in the 1960s and early 1970s ut had a large menu - at the foot of which said something along the lines of 'This menu is only a suggestion, the chef is at your command'.

Tim

• Like 1

##15 etc.

There clearly was a Moulin Rouge cinema, but as Tim in the North East says in #50, equally certainly there was a Moulin Rouge restaurant on Trinity Square (whether at the same time or earlier / later).

The restaurant was there in the late 1960s / very early 70s as I have a very clear recollection of having my first ever Spaghetti Bolognese in there, aged 9/10/11 sort of thing. It was a turning point! One of my clearest childhood memories!

Would dearly love to see a copy of their menu again, or a clear photo of the front of the restaurant from those days.

• Upvote 1

I had a most strange experience in the Trinity Square cafe in the late 60's. Those who frequented it then would recall that it had a balcony section, above.

I was in there with the Mrs one Saturday, when I found myself looking at my reflection. (as all young men are inclined ).. BUT the reflection did not move as I did. After a few seconds I realised that I was actually looking up at the balcony. At which point I realised it wasn't me. By this time, the wife had also spotted me in the balcony. I have no idea why, but I just grabbed my jacket and fled, dragging the wife behind me.

I still cannot fathom what made me "up and run", but it was so eerie to encounter ones own doppelganger.

I had already been told by a cafe owner on Derby Road (opposite the Albert Hall) that I had an absolute double, who hailed from West Bridgford.

He had been calling me 'Paul' for several weeks, when I had to correct him and he could not believe that I was a different guy.

I have frequently met doubles, but it is so different when it is your own.