• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then

mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to ge

Correct.

Can anyone remember the name of the cafe in Trinity Square? The name was something like Le Causerie.

My husband can remember the Scottish waitress who served him, what he regularly ordered but cannot remember the name of the cafe!!

Was it The Toreodor? That's the name that springs to mind. They had a skiffle band playing there. I used to go in the late 50's and that's a long, long, long time ago!!!!

Those photos certainly take me back.

I think I used to catch the number 17 back to Valley Road from there in the mid 50's, and I have the figure of 2d in my mind as the fare!

The Toreador also rings a bell.

Both were branches of the Oadby (Leicester) Capucci family business, whose ice cream parlours were prominent in Leicester city centre...they also had a branch in Loughborough.

Capucci family was directly related (and were initially funded) to the Forte organization...

Cheers

Robt P.

Was it The Toreodor? That's the name that springs to mind. They had a skiffle band playing there. I used to go in the late 50's and that's a long, long, long time ago!!!!

El Toreodor home of the old Nottingham Aces, have we got another one on here now if so you will find a few old Aces on this site maybe a few old memories for you to. welcome to a great site.

• Like 1

Both were branches of the Oadby (Leicester) Capucci family business, whose ice cream parlours were prominent in Leicester city centre...they also had a branch in Loughborough.

Capucci family was directly related (and were initially funded) to the Forte organization...

Cheers

Robt P.

And there was a lengthy thread a few months ago which included a lot on the subject of Capucci's HERE

Before I married I was a Miss Pearson. My father was George Pearson (1919 - 1994). He was secretary of the South Notts Hussars Old Comrades Association for many years.

The second photo of Trinity Square is familiar. The cafe was on the left in a row of shops facing the car entrance to Trinity Square car park.At the Kings Walk end was an art shop, and we think then a newsagents/tobacconists, and the cafe was at the other end. It definitely wasn't a Capuccis or the Toreador. Le Coserie still rings a bell!

Hello Annie (or should that be Mrs Pearson?)

Which years are you referring to re: Trinity Square? And which side of Trinity Square?

Could it be on this side of the Square HERE or more like THIS ONE

Am a bit confused as to which "side" is which? Trinity Square was really an upturned U wasn't it, the "open end" being Mansfield Rd where the church was, only shop I recall was an opticians on the left hand side, quite a well known name but forgot it! believe it or not had to go there to have a plate put in a shoe! (fallen arche), me Mam went mad as had to buy an expensive pair with leather soles one of which was removed then replaced after said plate inserted (about 1958). Other memories include trips to the pet shop on either exchange or trinity walk to see kittens on sale when younger(ahhh) and in later years a cafe with an upstairs balcony on the top of the "U", good place for girls! but crap tea in glass cups, ugh

Even though I referred to those old photos, I don't remember Trinity Square when it looked like that. And I don't remember the church which used to be in the middle.

My first memory of it was when the church had been demolished, and the empty space - looking like a bomb site - was used as a car park. That would've been early 1960s. Then the multi-storey car park was built. which existed until a few years ago. If you've not seen the area for the last few years, the recent "developments" are a complete disaster. Worse than anything which was done in the 60s.

And I also remember the highlight of going into the pet shop on Trinity Walk to look at the animals on sale. Have to say, I'm glad that pet shops don't operate quite like that any more, where pups and kittens were treated like packages to be sold.

Digging around in some of my Old Nottingham books I came across this photo. The book says it's 1960. And I don't think it's in Picture the Past

trinity.jpg

This is looking towards Milton Street (where the Welbeck Hotel is).

The buildings in the previous photos have been demolished and you can see the remains running left/right across the centre.

• Upvote 1

Just a thought and may be way off base, but the "cafe" you referred to. Is there a possibility it could be the Moulin-Rouge? It was located on the East side of the square during the 60s.

Just a thought and may be way off base, but the "cafe" you referred to. Is there a possibility it could be the Moulin-Rouge? It was located on the East side of the square during the 60s.

I'm getting totally confused now and used to use the Square regularly in the 50's and early 60s.

Wasn't the Moulin Rouge a cinema around the corner?

Wasn't there a pub the Golden Keys that used to have cheddar, onion and crusty cobs on the counter?

Great picture Cliff. Which book is that from ?

This one

book1.jpg

The date in the front says 1994, but I think I've seen it in various shops recently. Probably quite cheap now, too

I'm getting totally confused now and used to use the Square regularly in the 50's and early 60s.

Wasn't the Moulin Rouge a cinema around the corner?

That's what I would've said. It's been mentioned in various threads on these pages. Not sure if anybody wants to admit having been in the place, with its reputation for "mature adult" films

re the cafe/cinema, I wondered if that was the case, can't recall the former, do recall an old daytime only eating house on Foreman Street, guess it had been there many years, low doorframe and ceiling in the place, glossed walls nothing fancy, used to sell slices of "sinker cake" not sure if right spelling, when I asked why so called was told "well you'll never swim with such inside you" (heavy type fruit cake)

re the missing years, know the feeling, as the old Animals song went "When I think of all the good time that's been wasted having good times"? or whittling and worrying re work etc, end of the day none of it matters, now where did I put that rope? lol

On a lighter note now I think about it I do recall that restaurant, (I think) centre door shop, painted black and white, tables either side of door, lace curtains?