mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to get to grans get the bus to town then walk to the lions in the square, go up queens st. cross the road up gitty, ( Trinity Walk), we didn't know the name then, to the top and get an 18, 17 or 6. i would get on the 56/60 at the corner of Wigman Road, Bracedbridge Drive and all the way to Trinity Sq would recite out loud 18, 17 or 6. must have looked a right twit, still do. miss me gran though, took dad to Carrington, just before he passed, it was all gone flattened with a school there, but as we walked around there was a grated gutter at side of the kerb, still there now, and from that and the distance to Hucknall Rd he worked out that the grate was situated outside the house that was next door to his, (grans) house, The house next door was were, as a kid, his best mate, Sonny Beardsley, lived, he was killed at arnhem, as a para. in operation Market Garden. I think he was very happy with that visit, we also visited the Gladstone pub just up the road, he said it was where his pop used to take him, as a lad. in my mind i can still walk through grans house and often, as today, recite, 18, 17 or 6 out loud, still look like a twit.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then

mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to ge

Correct.

We used to catch the 28 from the side of the church , after the church was demolished and the car park built we would stand near Smiths dry cleaners at what would be the top of the square , the cafe was at the top right end , i think you could also catch the 17 and no 6 along that row .The Moulin Rouge resteraunt was on the left side near Trinity walk , and if my memory serves me well , which it normally does not ! the Moulin Rouge cinema was on the right side of Mansfield Rd as you came into town , phew

• Upvote 1

Moulin Rouge cinema, so racy, went there once, i was fifteen and handn't a flippin clue, (still don't), saw a naturist film, men and women walking about a camp with towels covering below the waist, but, wow first glimpse of ladies breasts, which at fifteen, with your mates, you called them ssshhh(tits), thought it was bloody fantastic, innocence eh, bless

Yes but Milton Street has always been thus.

Melbourn Street had it's name changed to Mansfield Road around 1895 & Mansfield Road above Blue C.oat Street/Woodborough was renumbered

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12283&hl=%2Bmansfield+%2Broad+%2Brenumbering#entry227118

I think that the coffee bar was facing the bus on the photo that had its side full on?

There was also a sports shop there and just around the corner from trinity sq there was a fabric/curtain shop facing the vic centre.I bought my first curtain material there in 1969

There was also an arts cinema that I think was facing the old Jessops entrance ? Down from there on the way to the square was a small yard that had an antiques shop,as you turned into the yard there was a smart coffee shop on the corner.

I can not remember the name of the cafe on Trinity square but I remember the glass cups and going in there in1965,it was considered very cool and a bit daring then.thanks for the memories !

My dad shopped at Hills! I am sure the church was still there then,thank you and welcome I am a newbie as well but enjoying all these memories and getting old!

• Upvote 1

I bought my first net curtains from Minsons when I got married..............

I can remember going on a date with a guy in my class at school, he helped me with myTechnical Drawing, which I could not do, so I had to agree to have a date with him and he took me to the Moulin Rouge Cinema which was on Milton Street back then, it was one Saturday afternoon - a film called 'Never on a Sunday' was showing .......'X' rated in1960 - we thought we were the daring young things seeing a film like that at aged 15 years, it was in French with Subtitles........ the place was a right flea pit, we sat on the back row, he even bought me Poppets........I can remember going to a cafe on Trinity Square afterwards for frothy coffee - His name was John Gilbert from out East Leake way - wonder where he is now ?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just seen this thread. The coffee bar The Toreador was at the back of the Theatre Royal opposite the technical college (now Nottingham Trent uni). Wasn't the coffee bar in Trinity Square called 49?

In which case, Sue C, The Toreador might be in one of these. This is Burton Street with the Uni building on the left out of picture.

burton3a.jpg

And this is Goldsmith Street to the right and Burton Street on the left.

burton2a.jpg

Just seen this thread. The coffee bar The Toreador was at the back of the Theatre Royal opposite the technical college (now Nottingham Trent uni). Wasn't the coffee bar in Trinity Square called 49?

The 49 was next door to the Toreador coming up the hill. Some of those buildings behind the figures in Cliff Tons picture were demolished and it was a private car park for a time.

Without reading all the posts on here, I think the coffee bar in Trinity Square was the Causerie, seem to remember we referred to it as 'The Cosey'