• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then

mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to ge

Correct.

Somewhere not far from Trinity Square, Burton Street direction, I used to go playing snooker after college, with a mate, arond 1965/6.  As I recall the Snooker Hall was upstairs around there.  We also used to have a couple in the tiny pub called the Golden Key, opposite Vic Station.  Also, I think there was a pub around Burton St area called the Dolphin? Am I right or have I completely lost the plot?

3 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

There was a pub called the Dolphin on North Church Street directly opposite the old Central Police station. It later became Byron’s. It was a modern ugly building with no soul. 

It's only saving grace was that it opened at 5:30pm, well before the rest of the town pubs. The City Treasury was opposite, so any weekday night out started there. Must have had far greater energy levels in those days!

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

We also used to have a couple in the tiny pub called the Golden Key, opposite Vic Station.  Also, I think there was a pub around Burton St area called the Dolphin? Am I right or have I completely lost the plot?

Never went in the Golden Key, but I've seen photos of it. It was next door to the Moulin Rouge cinema.

I never knew The Dolphin but I went there quite often in the 1980s when it was Byrons. Externally it was very concrete, but not bad inside. Civilised and sensible, with no moron element.

It was popular with off-duty police from across the road. I'm sure they thought they looked like 'normal' people when they were in the pub out of uniform, but they stood out a mile.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

There was a pub called the Dolphin on North Church Street directly opposite the old Central Police station. It later became Byron’s. It was a modern ugly building with no soul. 

Interesting, because in my memory it wasn't modern, but was in keepiing with the surrounding architecture.  But then the surrounding architecture changed a lot around that time.

If you scroll down on this link there’s a photo of Byron’s formally The Dolphin. 
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/11-pubs-youll-remember-drinking-172751

I saw an on line reference to a Dolphin Inn on North Church Street way back in the 1850’s but clearly not this one. 
My recollection was it was mainly frequented by students rather than cops who had a bar in the Police station.

That's the Byron's which I remember.

This link is North Church Street a long time ago. The early version of the pub - presumably The Dolphin - would be to the left of the horse and cart.  https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm008875/posterid/ntgm008875.html

Note the spire of Holy Trinity church in the distance.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Around 1968 I worked as an electrician at J & S Farr's corner of Trinity walk and Upper Parliament St. I spent many hours in all the cafes around Trinity Square but my long time favorite was the Empire, you could not beat it for good food and value for money. It was just a basic old style cafe .