I remember Trinity Café opposite the evening post offices but was that classed as Forman Street. I also remember Will Hills Gents outfitters (I worked there 1970s. Then there was Gunn & Moores (made cricket bats) Peppers Ladies hairdressers at the corner of Trinity Walk. The little Herbal shop that made all sorts of potions to make you better,it always smelled lovely in there.I remember the lady who sat on a stool outside will hills selling EveningPost. She was there all weathers & always a smile & a chat.There was also a jewellers in Trinity Sq & of corse Trinity church such a beautiful building but like everything else was redused to rubble & a car park put in its place.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then

mention of the bus service in the 50s/60s 18, 17, 6 - i caught a 56 or 60 from wigman road back then, my grandma lived at carrington, Babworth St. i would be about 6 or 7 years old and mam said to ge

Correct.

Reading threads like this, where someone has enquired about a certain place, I always think that if the place was correctly identified straight away (which is what the enquirer would have liked), then none of the 'fun' of people giving their differing opinion of where it was, or what it was next door to, or who owned it, or what music was played there, would arise.

Here's to foggy memories.

• Upvote 4

Remember the TSB on the corner. Friendly staff and no security shield!

Yes, I remember now that the 49 was next to the Toreador. I guess it was the Causerie on Trinity Square, but the name doesn't ring a bell to me. Forgotten so much!

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember Peppers hair used to be just gents and above it was Peppers wholesalers on the corner or Trinity Walk, there was only 2 hairdressing wholesalers Pomps and Peppers. Peppers was owned by the Kinnels and as far as I can remember Mrs Kinnel was still running the hair salon in the 90s. Looking at Mrs Kinnel I would put her at about 75/80 but she could still make you shiver. Also the Peppers hair salon on Market Street belongs to them.

I don't know if Mrs kinnel is still with us or not, but she knew how to run a business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/6/2011 at 9:55 AM, taxi ray said:

There is a moulin rouge chip shop, on trinity square, there is some seating, but you would not call it a restaurant, it has been there for at least 25 years.

The Moulin Rouge was indeed one of the most popular french style Restuarnts in Nottingham during the 1970`s and changed hands From Mr Andrew Petsas who used to be involved in the little jhon restaurant he bought it dirt cheap from a Mr chirstagi  who set up the Moulin Rouge and 2 other french style restaurants,he sold the buisness and lease  to the next owner around 1980 until 1984 when he had no choice but turn it into a fish and chip shop as trade was down the main custom was from Judges baristers and when they moved the court buildings and chambers to other side of town as they spent big, so  buisness went down. He owned it until 2004 when he was stitched up over the lease  by Jacob Sergi current owner who was convicted of beating a customer up and Andrew Petsas daughter Helen Petsas who took over the ownership of the freehold when Andrew Petsas died.

All very gangster and true matter of public record so no liabel action can be infered.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/5/2011 at 5:17 AM, piggy and babs said:

El Toreodor home of the old Nottingham Aces, have we got another one on here now if so you will find a few old Aces on this site maybe a few old memories for you to. welcome to a great site.

The Toreador was at the other end of Burton St to Trinity Square ,I spent many happy hours there with the Aces, Ruth was the manageress, a nice European lady.

I  worked as a apprentice electrician at number 3 Burton  St in 1962. O A Whittaker's.Just around the corner from Trinity Square.

There was a very good cafe opposite the Evening Post offices on Foreman St,it was there for many years, always full of workers,  I cannot remember the name,

6 hours ago, Dick said:

There was a very good cafe opposite the Evening Post offices on Foreman St,it was there for many years, always full of workers,  I cannot remember the name,

Are you thinking of the Empire Cafe ?     https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4472-empire-windmill-and-other-cafes/?

Hi Cliff Ton . Yes the Empire Cafe .A good place for a cuppa and a ham buttee. Probably named after the Empire Theatre , but that's

another story.

• 2 months later...

Regarding the Empire cafe. I had a nice meal there for my nieces wedding reception  in 2001 . Still the same building but many changes inside ,quite a posh restaurant  then.

• 9 months later...

The coffee bar I remember in Trinity Square was a bit like a cave with a couple of different rooms inside - sort  of curved white concrete walls.  I think that was the Toreador?  Only went in there a couple of times I think…

Phil, I don’t know the names of many Nottingham streets, so you might well be right !  I just know it was somewhere in that area…

8 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The Trocadero was a cinema on the outskirts of Leicester - sorry, that’s irrelevant …

I remember the Troc up towards Scraptoft.  We used to make forays into Leicester where there was a good mod scene initially at The Burlesque on Humberstone Rd and then at the Niteowl somewhere in the centre. Great times!