73 Red Lion St, Nottingham St Mary

Hi all

I am a newbie on this forum, and I am researching my family history of Collins.

I have just looked up my Gt Gt Grandfather, who was named John Collins. According to the 1881 census he was lodging at 73 Red Lion St, Nottingham St Mary. which I understand was previously called Narrow Marsh. However, this address at the time, had 1 head of household and 26 lodgers. John was listed as married but his wife was not in this lodging. They had children subsequently, so I assume the marriage was intact. He was aged 36 and unemployed at the time.

I am not sure what kind of lodging this was.

Can anyone please shed any light on this place?

I would be so grateful of any info

Thanks

Chrissy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Red Lion street area only 97 years ago

Welcome to Nottstalgia Amyamelie1. There's a lot about the Red Lion Street/Narrow Marsh area in various threads here, and if you want to get an idea of what it all looked like in your grandad's days g

This is Byron Yard (running down the side of Lord Byron pub) and Kirk’s Yard.    The road across the top is Narrow Marsh, aka Red Lion Street, and now known as Cliff Road. For a present day

I have just looked up my Gt Gt Grandfather, who was named George Collins. According to the 1881 census he was lodging at 73 Red Lion St, Nottingham St Mary. which I understand was previously called Narrow Marsh. However, this address at the time, had 1 head of household and 26 lodgers. George was listed as married but his wife was not in this lodging. They had children subsequently, so I assume the marriage was intact. He was aged 36 and unemployed at the time.

Hello Chrissy. You've come to the right place to find the answers to slightly obscure questions like yours

Here's my contribution to it. This is 1899, and No.73 seems to be under the name of Thomas Murphy

narrow.jpg

Oh you star Cliff!

I knew John had fallen on hard times, and was just a lodger there but its good to know it was actually a lodging house. But I wonder why his wife wasn't with him. Hmmmmm. But you have answered my question. Thank you so much :-)

Chrissy

Just a guess, but maybe she moved in with family while he went out looking for work.

• 1 year later...

you can see my great grandfathers name on that list he owned the logging houses from 71 to 107a narrow marsh at this time and lived with his wife four children plus up to ten lodgers at no 71 and had a family plus lodgers in the other houses my day told us as kids how bad the conditions were down thereand that the lodgers used to sleep in shifts some working day afternoons or night shifts so shearing beds so it was only the saturday and sunday nights that there was a problem

sorry just look again 71 was mygreat great grandfather henryclemets 99 to 101 was great grandfather george clements my grandfather was henry and my father was george henry named after all of these george and henry being family names for generations his mothers father was also george so i suppose that stopped arguments, dad was the only boy in his family as well as the eldest chiled.

chrissy have you checked radford workhouse cencus for this time for wife and childrenits possible he lived in a lodging house to have a addressas even in those days employers looked more favorbly on peoly who had an address than no fixed abode or workhouse this way once he was in work it would be easier to find accomidationand be reunited with his familyif they were in a workhouse or living with family members

Its only because the picture is black and white that it looks depressing.

Well perhaps the rain as well... and the uneven road... Oh and the smog...

and the miserable faces... and the drab clothing...

and the oss tods!

Folks ud give their hind legs for good unlimited parking like that nowadays.

If I'd been the photographer, I'd gone back on a better day.

yes narrow marsh has agreat history jack son with it being so close to the lace market and city centre and lots of leather workers also in this area some leather works in the caves nearby . my grandfather henry was a leather dresser his father a maker of fine shoes and his father too was also in leather work of some kind and i think that was why they first moved to narrow marsh took in lodgers and gradually brought more propoties

been thinking of doing something on my memories of netherfield in the fifties have a few things written in rough but have never looked into it seriously.

• 1 month later...
This particular photo is not of NarrowMarsh/Red Lion Street but of one of the many side yards that went down to Canal Steet/Leen Side.

There was no gutter down the centre of Red Lion Street & ther was a pavement there too.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I just chanced upon this forum after googling "Red Lion Street, Nottingham". Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread!

My grandad, William (Bill) Russell used to live in Red Lion Street in the 20s. He lived there with his Jamaican father, German mother and his numerous siblings He's 91 today and still going strong! He often speaks about what life was like back then and recounts (as best he can) stories from those days.

Would the previous poster be able to see if there are any records of the Russell family having lived in Red Lion Street? Would be much obliged.

Mark

A problem of directories of this period is that they don't generally list private citizens but do list shop keepers,businesses,lodging house keepers, etc

I have "Kellys" directories dated 1916 & 1928 & there is no-one by the name of Russel listed as living on Red Lion Street in either Directory.

you could check the censuses dated 1911,1921 & 1931.

But by 1931 demolition of red lion street had begun.

• Upvote 1

I have a large scale map of the "Broad/Narrow Marsh" areas dated1881 scale 1 inch = 41 feet the map is 42" x 28" mounted on linen.

The map also features Canal Street & Leenside.

It has 21 public houses on it.

• Upvote 1

Not directly connected with the Russell family, but this might be interesting just to look at

http://cms.nottingha...nstreet1923.pdf

Thank very much, just shared this with my grandad - his face lit up!

He actually lived at 22 Knotted Alley (he was born there in 1921). He recalled many of the streets. The schools he attended were Leen side school. St John's, and St Mary's. I asked if it was as rough as the reputation suggests, and he said "well it was all I was used to", in other words, yes! He recalls lots of fighting. Men taking their shirts off to fight outside the pubs, of which he remembers that the Loggerheads was run by an old lady named Mrs O'Connor, while her son ran The Woodman pub.

hi mark hope your grandfather has a great birthday.

as you live in nottingham you could go to the nottingham archives on london rd 1921 cencus not yet available for public read but you could try electrol registers that are available.

it can be a hard slog to find this information buti have always found the saff and other people who are doing family history reserch very helpful if you get stuck.

good luck with your search.

babs

• Upvote 1

my dad used to tell us about the steps behind his gradfathers houses that ran to the lace market area , you can still see the out line of long stairs or steps on the wall at the back of cliff rd piggys cousin lives in the flats that now stand were these houses stood and you can see them clairly from her bedroom window.i often wonder when i go to see her how many of my relitives ran up and down or played on them steps, but i also know they were frequented by the criminal eliment that lived or frequented the area.

it sure would be nice to hear some of your grandfather memories mark . wish i had taken more notice of my dad when i was younger or better still taped some of his memories.

• Upvote 1

my grandfather was henry clements and great grandad was george who can be found on this list.