73 Red Lion St, Nottingham St Mary

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Red Lion street area only 97 years ago

Welcome to Nottstalgia Amyamelie1. There's a lot about the Red Lion Street/Narrow Marsh area in various threads here, and if you want to get an idea of what it all looked like in your grandad's days g

This is Byron Yard (running down the side of Lord Byron pub) and Kirk’s Yard.    The road across the top is Narrow Marsh, aka Red Lion Street, and now known as Cliff Road. For a present day

Thank you all for the comments. I will print the maps today, my grandad will love looking at them along with the list of business owners.

He certainly has plenty of stories and has lived a very interesting life. He has loads of tales from growing up in Nottingham, initially Narrow Marsh, then Sneinton, Colwick and later on, Clifton estate. Not to mention the war years - he went off to Liverpool docks aged 17 to serve in the Merchant Navy.

He claims to have a poor memory, but it's amazing how much he recalls when we get talking about his childhood!

Thanks again,

Mark

yes kev my great grandfather owned propoties from 71 to 107a marrow marsh at the time of his death 1920s according to his will my dad got 500 pounds on his 21st birthday in 1929 a lot of money in them days the depression was just starting his two sisters also got 500 pounds each upon reaching 21 from his estate as did other grandchildren from his other children the remainder going to his wife and surviving 3 children my grandfather henry had all ready died .

were abouts in sneinton did he live mark cause there are also good threads on sneinton on this site. its ammazing what old people do remmember about there childhood if you can get some recordings on tape for when he not able to talk to you, there lovey to look back on and hear the voice again. and for your relitives in the future who never got to meet him.

yes kev my great grandfather owned propoties from 71 to 107a marrow marsh at the time of his death 1920s according to his will my dad got 500 pounds on his 21st birthday in 1929 a lot of money in them days the depression was just starting his two sisters also got 500 pounds each upon reaching 21 from his estate as did other grandchildren from his other children the remainder going to his wife and surviving 3 children my grandfather henry had all ready died .

were abouts in sneinton did he live mark cause there are also good threads on sneinton on this site. its ammazing what old people do remmember about there childhood if you can get some recordings on tape for when he not able to talk to you, there lovey to look back on and hear the voice again. and for your relitives in the future who never got to meet him.

He lived at 8 Beckford Road in Sneinton. Slightly off topic, but a story relating to his father and Sneinton...

To set the scene: He was originally from Jamaica. He moved to Germany. Met his wife there. They had four children before moving to Nottingham, England around the time of the First World War. There they had four more children (my grandad being one of them). (That in itself is pretty unique; I wonder how they were treated by others, especially the mother - a German with a coloured husband and kids living in Narrow Marsh during the outbreak of the First World War).

Work was hard to come by so he resorted to playing the organ. I believe it was commonly known as being a 'Hurdy Gurdy' man? One day the tax man caught up with him while he was playing his organ outside The Manvers pub in Sneinton and by all accounts he 'lost the plot' and rather than hand over his organ for non-payment of tax, he proceeded to demolish his organ with an axe!

Pub crawl 1868 style

Starting on the corner of Carrington Street/Broad Marsh - Middle Marsh - Narrow marsh - Red lion Square.

Distance less than half a mile: Pubs..............................................SIXTEEN.

• 4 months later...

on a recent visit to nottingham archives i purchased a book on broad marsh and narrow marsh in that there is a photograph 111/113 redlion st colliers lodging house. only a few doors up from my great grandfathers house i surpose they very similar my sister and brother in law are currently reading it i took it to them today

• 3 months later...

Mark - where did your Grandad live in Clifton? And did he used to sing?

I remember a Bill Russell who lived on Ellerby Avenue and he was Jamaican (I think) and he had two children and a fine singing voice. He'd be about the age of my parents who lived nearby.

VWGolf, nice to see you back because we discovered a number of points in common about Clifton on your previous visits.

You mentioned Bill Russell on Ellerby Avenue; I didn't know him but I remember his daughter Diane who was/is the same age as me. We were both at Greencroft Junior School at the same time....... And there are photos on Friends Reunited to prove it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I too chanced upon this forum and I am hoping that someone can help potentially.

My dad told me that my grandad was born in an 'almshouse' and having searched I obtained his bc which stated his place of birth was 2 Pearsons Yard, Red Lion Street ( July 1907).

Does anyone know more bout this location? Was it a poorhouse of some description, I know that the area was generally v poor.

Many thanks

Amy

Welcome to Nottstalgia Amyamelie1. There's a lot about the Red Lion Street/Narrow Marsh area in various threads here, and if you want to get an idea of what it all looked like in your grandad's days go to this link http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php and in the Search box put Red Lion Marsh. You'll get about 40 photos to look at.

And for a high-res map of the area in the 1920s have a look at the PDF half way down this page http://cms.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/exhibitions/broadmarshandnarrowmarsh/slumclearanceandredevelopment.htm You can see Pearson's Yard at upper left.

• Upvote 2

looking at clifton list pearsons yard is in it there are a couple of lodging houses listed looks like it could be somewere near popom st part of that is still there just of camal st. near were the tram goes over.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank very much, just shared this with my grandad - his face lit up!

He actually lived at 22 Knotted Alley (he was born there in 1921). He recalled many of the streets. The schools he attended were Leen side school. St John's, and St Mary's. I asked if it was as rough as the reputation suggests, and he said "well it was all I was used to", in other words, yes! He recalls lots of fighting. Men taking their shirts off to fight outside the pubs, of which he remembers that the Loggerheads was run by an old lady named Mrs O'Connor, while her son ran The Woodman pub.

Hi Markwilliamlong

you must be proud to have a grandfather of his age. Ask him if he can remember the 9 00 clock horse's?

They used to call at the house's with a cart on the back with very large bucket's on to empty the loos

I find this lodging house subject fascinating because the shop we used to rent in Cornwall seems to have been a lodging house in all the census from 1881 up to 1911 . It was a small shop only 13 feet wide and at one point we lived over it for a few years.

It was a struggle for us , just 2 adults and 2 kids on the first floor ,in 4 rooms and that includes a bathroom and kitchen and wife and me had to sleep on a fold-up bed in tbe lounge . Never enough space .

However back in the early 1900s according to the census , there were 22 adults living in it !

It probably wouldnt have had a bathroom and obviously the shop area would have been rooms .

Assuming 1 room was for the owner and 1 room was a kitchen, that leaves possibly 6 rooms on 2 floors so probably 3 to 4 lodgers per room , can't have been room for hardly anything but beds .

Creepy when you think what must have gone on in there and what life would have been like in those places for all those years !

I find this lodging house subject fascinating because the shop we used to rent in Cornwall seems to have been a lodging house in all the census from 1881 up to 1911 . It was a small shop only 13 feet wide and at one point we lived over it for a few years.

One of the main lodging areas of Nottingham in that era was Broad Marsh/Red Lion Street area. Your place in Cornwall might've looked a bit like one of these.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM001918&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM013476&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM001310&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliff Ton but not really like any of those .

This picture wasnt our shop but same street and I would imagine our old shop would have been like the house on the right of this pic . Front door , single front room window and a bay window above .

I know there are many house of multiple occupation today but just cant imagine what it would have been like in such a small house in the early 1900s with 22 adults living in it , many of them navvies ,no electric , no bathroom , probably one outside privvy ! Grim !

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/88k/87464/38042275/87464_10001950E_1950_IMG_01_0000_max_620x414.JPG

Always amazed me looking through old Census that nearly every property either had servants or lodgers. Poverty and lack of council accommodation leading to people taking up every bit of available space.

Sounds a bit like today. :rolleyes:

Not essential to Notts history but a warning to check when trying to get a modern view of an old property mentioned in the old Census.

All that above about our old small shop in Cornwall being a lodging house was totally wrong .

Just found out after being here for over 35 years that the main street was re-numbered in 1925 . Before 1925 , the numbers went 1,2,3,4 in sequence on the north side , to the top of the street up to 67 and then came back down 68,69, etc on the south side.

Explains why I could never make sense of the census when plotting who lived where .

After the Mansfield Rd re-numbering story of a few weeks ago I should have known !

Red Lion Street A question ?

When was Narrow Marsh renamed Red Lion Street?

In my 1844 Glovers directory it's Narrow Marsh

1860 Drakes it's Red Lion Street

1864 White's it's Red lion Street

1868 Wright's it's Narrow Marsh

1891 Kelly's it's Narrow Marsh

1916 Kelly's it's Red Lion Street

I have a large O.S. map of the area dated 1881 it's called Narrow Marsh

It's Name was further changed in the 1930's to Cliff Road

Not scientific but just a quick look on the old news stories and the earliest mention of Red Lion Street seems to be 1849..

A quick trawl through a few sources seems to suggest it changed somewhere in the last 20 years of the 19th century.

On the 1899 OS reprint it's called Red Lion Street.

On Old Maps (which is an offshoot of OS) 1881 calls it Narrow Marsh; 1901 calls it Narrow Marsh; and 1916 has Red Lion Street.

On other maps I found Narrow Marsh in 1875 and Red Lion Street by 1912.

And where did the 'Red Lion' come from? Presumably a pub?

• 1 year later...

I belive that the "LOGGERHEAD PUB " has now closed it's doors. Use to spend many a Sunday dinner on the steps will bottle pop and packet of crisp waiting for my dad and granddad. Later played in the back yard long ally skittles.

Hopefully I'm right about the closing