73 Red Lion St, Nottingham St Mary

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Red Lion street area only 97 years ago

Welcome to Nottstalgia Amyamelie1. There's a lot about the Red Lion Street/Narrow Marsh area in various threads here, and if you want to get an idea of what it all looked like in your grandad's days g

This is Byron Yard (running down the side of Lord Byron pub) and Kirk’s Yard.    The road across the top is Narrow Marsh, aka Red Lion Street, and now known as Cliff Road. For a present day

Thanks to all for telling me about "loggerheads" date being closed. Maybe it's age that make's time go so fast.

• 2 months later...

Just joined hellothere, and reading all these comments with great interest as I've just found out Crosland St was around the Red Lion St area, when my GG Grandad John Lowe got married in 1875 on the cert he was living on Crosland St his dad was Charles Lowe, as was my GG Grandma Elizabeth Marson can't find John on the 71/81 census only Elizabeth at her Dads in Stanton on the Wolds with my great granddad and his sister 81 census. There was a Lowes yard on 1 map I looked at, just behind Red Lion Street don't no if there's a connection ,come to a stand still with the Lowes ,so looking at the pictures & reading the messages has gave me a great incite to the area

• 6 months later...

Blimey, it looks more like 400 years ago.

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2013 at 9:35 PM, VWGolf said:

Mark - where did your Grandad live in Clifton? And did he used to sing?

I remember a Bill Russell who lived on Ellerby Avenue and he was Jamaican (I think) and he had two children and a fine singing voice. He'd be about the age of my parents who lived nearby.

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying (only 4 years late...!) 

My grandad, Bill, lived on Ellerby Avenue and yes i am told he used to like to sing in the pubs of Clifton! Winning Post was his favourite i think.

Dianne is my mum and Pete my uncle. What's your family name if you don't mind me asking?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 7/24/2016 at 10:57 AM, radfordred said:

The Red Lion street area only 97 years ago

CleKgcvWIAAYTMI.jpg

This picture cropped up again on a Facebook page of the 15th/16th Century half timbered property called Marsh Farm , in Kirk's Yard off Byrons Yard that was to the rear of Narrowmarsh.

I read that Kirk's Yard was hidden behind a heavy wooden door.

Is there a map showing these yards Cliff Ton ? 

Reading old newspaper articles,  its last use was as storage place for an Italian man call Theo Garribaldi who stored his street barrel organs there. Apparently they were rented out to various street vendors who roamed the city streets.

• Like 1

This is Byron Yard (running down the side of Lord Byron pub) and Kirk’s Yard. 

The road across the top is Narrow Marsh, aka Red Lion Street, and now known as Cliff Road. For a present day reference, at top-centre is Loggerhead Inn. That building is still there today, but no longer a pub.

Yt9DTMU.jpg

And this is the scene today, with Loggerhead on the right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tLD1CwPcesAj6Ncu9

• Like 2

Thanks very much Cliff Ton , that helps understand the layout.

If fact your arrow I think touches what was Marsh Farm in Kirk's Yard (L shape building) as it backed on to a house and provisions shop owned by a Mr. Dale in Narrowmarsh (according to a sale advert from 1893).