• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've repaired a couple of photos in this thread, and added a couple of new ones. In this, Mount Street bus station is the curved area in the lower half of the photo. In the top half you can also see t

Does anyone remember the coach (Trent I think) that left each week for Skegness from Mount St on a Friday evening? From 1955 to 1958 I used it throughout the year to visit my mother who had moved

It's surprising how many of the old buildings around Mount Street have survived.

Posted Images

yes, the X99 went from platform 6 at Mount Street - the front stop nearest to Park Row. Other than the X99 I think platform 6 was the Trent services 8 (Derby) and 60/60A/60B/61/61A/61B (Hucknall/Kirkby in Ashfield/Mansfield).

I could never remember where i caught the x99, even though i used it so often ,over the years lots of places in Notts have faded in my memory, and its so nice to have them brought back to me,Was i right with the Green bus no 25 going up Westdale Lane and 67 and 67a red bus going up Arnold Lane at Gedling back in the 1960s.

Yep - absolutely right, and actually the 25 is one of the few NCT routes that are still recognisably similar to those days - Carlton Road, Dr Parks' Corner, Westdale Lane, Breckhill Road - although it no longer goes from the bus station. Trent 67 and 67A - I think the 70 and 70A went to Gedling as well, but not sure what the difference was. Think I'm right in saying they all went by Colwick Road and Netherfield. The 67 was a strange roundabout route that finished at Arnold (White Hart) all the way up Arnold Lane, across Plains Road and down Coppice Road.

I haven't traveled on either of those two bus routes for 47yrs so i am pleased to remember them, i always remember the red bus route going past Spray and Burgess in Colwick and across the railway line into Sneinton and on to The City for work in the Lace Market,the journey was like a fair ride if you got the front seat upstairs and a fast driver,a bit scary sometimes.Thanks for confirming the bus numbers and routes Steven. Did the trolley buses go to carlton near the cemetery, i have a memory of this as well.

Thanks Steven,the number 39 trolly bus was a last resort for me ,its a long walk to Arnold Lane from Carlton Square,but better than walking from The City if that was the only choice. Im sorry i seem to have strayed off the Mount Street Topic.

• 1 year later...

Mention of the X99 brings back an unhappy memory for me of the evening I used it on the way back from Tamworth in about 1972. I was with my brother in law and we spent an hour or so in the pub rather than wait at the bus stop, downing a few pints.

We had to dash for the bus when it turned up, so I had no chance to rid myself of any of the beer before getting on. We'd hardly got to Ashby when nature first started making urgent demands. These got progressively worse as the journey went on, and I felt as if I was going to burst soon!

At this time, the X99 used Vic Centre, and when we finally arrive there after about an hour and a half, I had to sprint across the station to find the blessed relief I so desperately needed.

Definitely a lesson learned. Never travel on a full bladder.

I used the X99 many weekends from 1964/66 in my Nottm to W-ton journeys and had the same problem. I never learnt to leave enough time :huh: I always seemed to be running towards the bus as it was about to pull off! Thankfully they stopped for me. :)

• 1 month later...

Every time I see a picture of the Mount Street Bus Station like #61, it reminds me of the very early 60s, an innocent young schoolboy at the time, meeting up with my then girlfriend on the lower bus lane, sitting on those hard benches and waiting for the F5 to pull in for our trip home to Wollaton.

Oh Happy Days................. :yowza:

• Upvote 2

Where exactly is the X99 bus standing?

The X99 is standing at the bottom end of Park Row. The building behind it (above the word Birmingham) is no longer there, but the building in the further distance is the Co-op on Parliament Street. The double-decker has just turned in off Maid Marian Way.

Yes, quite a pleasant journey.

Past Clement Pianos up to Canning Circus. Ilkeston Road and past the Players factory. Left at the Wheelhouse and past Wollaton Park, along Bramcote Lane. It usually dropped everyone at the shops before turning round.

The E8 used to turn into Kevin Road to turn round. Can't remember what the F5 did.

Happy days indeed.....

barclaycon......did you use to live up that way??????

We used to get off at the roundabout at the Hemlockstone Pub...She lived in Whitemoss and I lived in Mapledene.

I can't remember where the F5 eventually went to - back in 60-62, there was not much after the shops in Bramcote Lane south of the Pub.

There was nothing west of the pub along Wollaton Vale either....Wollaton Vale ended abruptly in wasteland and apart from the houses on the right, there was nothing but fields up and over the hill....even the old Nottingham Canal was still there and farmland on the other side.

A NCT bus used to terminate at the intersection of Wollaton vale and Arleston Drive before going back down Wollaton Vale again.

Cliff Ton or StephenFord will kindly tell us where the bus routes went..Please..they knows their buses!

Yes Trevor. I lived at the top of Sandy Lane and used to walk over 'the hill' and down to Bramcote Lane to go to the shops or catch the bus into town.

Like I've mentioned before, I used to consider the E8 route (and later the F5) the 'back way' into town, but it was still a pleasant journey.

My memories are from '68 onwards.

Even then roads like Wollaton Vale ended abruptly. I remember the Nottingham Canal from the bridge at Bramcote Moor, it still had water in it even though it had been closed.

If I remember rightly Bramcote Lane had only recently been connected to Thoresby Road - itself previously ending abruptly.

That NCT bus you mentioned, I think I used to catch it to go and see my brother who lived in Sherwood at the time.

Can't remember the number though.

Yes mate, they were good days back then....my memories are between late 61 and late 63 and are memorable and were most enjoyable.

I found a photo of the bus terminus at Wollaton and Arlestan, complete with bus; will try to find it and post it if I can. Seem to remember the number 68. The drivers and concuctors used to leave their bus and come over to our petrol station for a hot cup of tea and use the toilets.

• Upvote 1

When I worked on Mr Softee Ice Cream vans in 68-69,I'd park it just beyond Arleston Drive. It was just waste land then. The Vale ended there. The 63 terminated at the bottom of Arleston. Dr.

• Upvote 1

Yes, the NCT route was the 63. I think I have commented on here before that according to a 1971 timetable, it took (from memory) 15 minutes from town to Arlestone Drive, and then had a 25 minute layover before going back, so there was bags of time for the crew to have a cup of tea - or even a meal ! I think it only ran hourly.

The Midland General routes were E8 and F5, but the E8 was only introduced around the mid 1960s as a variant of the F5. In the 50s the routes serving Wollaton village were D9 (Birchwood Road - extended at rush hours to Ilkeston), E1 (Strelley Lane) and F5 (Wollaton Vale). Those that missed the village, being routed along Russell Drive were B2 (Ilkeston, Cotmanhay, Heanor, Codnor, Ripley) C6 (same as B2 but serving Waingroves instead of Codnor), and F9 (Kirk Hallam - limited stop : no setting down before the Balloon Houses).

• Upvote 1