Enfield Street, St Stephen's Parish

Hello

Whilst researching the Nottingham part of my family history, I have come across a branch of the family who, in the 1901 census, lived at 2 Enfield Street, in St Stephen's parish. I can't find the street on a current map and haven't (yet) found it on the excellent map posted by bamber. I'm still looking though! Does anybody know definitely where the street was?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Enfield Street (now demolished) was in Hyson Green between Radford Road opposite Belton Street (Belton Street is still there) and ran through to the junction of Plimsoll Street and Gauntley Street (Gauntley Street is still there). This is right next door to St Stephens Church, Bobbers Mill, Hyson Green.

The area was demolished in the 70's and Radford Police Station stands to the north.

Hi Paul,

Enfield Street (now demolished) was in Hyson Green between Radford Road opposite Belton Street (Belton Street is still there) and ran through to the junction of Plimsoll Street and Gauntley Street (Gauntley Street is still there). This is right next door to St Stephens Church, Bobbers Mill, Hyson Green.

The area was demolished in the late 60's and Radford Police Station stands to the north.

Hi littlebro

Many thanks, that's just what I needed to know. One lady - who I didn't know much about, and doesn't appear to be on the 1901 census, and seems to have been another aunt to my mother - maried someone who lived in this road. As her family lived in Red Hill, that seems fairly logical

regards

Paul

Housing in the area was pretty poor compared with today. I bet the community was good though.

Plimsoll Street

Our posts crossed in the ether! Yes you are right. My great aunt (the one I *did* know about) later moved to Edwin Street, Daybrook. I have the estate agents notes from when the house was sold after she died in 1987 (for £13000), and it sounds like it was a similar type of property, although smaller.

Thanks for posting the link to the photo

Paul

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well I'm visiting the area tomorrow & Wednesday to have a look around at the various places where my relatives lived, plus the Notts family history society, archives and Ruddington framework knitters musuem. Hope the rain stops for a bit!!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone got a map of plimsol terrace was it of plimsol st or as i seem to remember noel st thanks

Sorry to be boring but yes I have a map(s) covering this area dated 1954 Scale 50" to the mile.

O.S. SK 5541 NW

Sorry as I have said before I don't have or can afford a scanner.

a map of plimsol terrace was it of plimsol st or as i seem to remember noel st thanks

Babs, there was a Plimsoll Street near Gauntly Street/Radford Road; is that the one you are thinking of? I guess Plimsoll Terrace was somewhere off it.

plim.jpg

thanks for that every one my grandmother lived there 1911 cencus but i remembervisiting itto see her brother 1950s but always thought near noel st but i surpose it was not that far and i think we must have walk up nole st from the forest an gone through side sts.