paulr1949

Enfield Street, St Stephen's Parish

hello I have just joined the forum after searching for Enfield street myself

my relatives were at NO 1 in 1901

Welcome Janetc..........

Cliff Ton

Don't know the date of the map you've posted, but can you show Elson St, please, which is cut off just at the top of the map. I'm looking for an Elson Terrace, where my Dad grew up, which was, I assume, off Elson St. It may have been demolished in the 60's?

Ann, here's Elson Street for you. On both the two lists I normally look at, I can't find any reference to Elson Terrace - although I guess it will be one of the rows of houses somewhere in there.

elson.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's around 1920s. I hadn't realised that Elson Street still exists, although obviously not in its original form.

And then I remembered that "Britain from Above" covered the area - in the days when your dad was probably there. Elson Street is the one going up the middle.

elson1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliff Ton. Had already seen that Britain From Above photo. Yes, he was born in 1922 so would have been there at the time of the map. Actually I remember him mentioning Rawson St, so wonder if Elson Terrace was off that?

thank you for showing the map I will be able to go and find exactly where it was now as I have compared it with a current map and had a look at google earth

Welcome to Nottstalgia, janetc. I look forward to sharing your memories.. hellothere

My dad was born in 10 Enfield Street in 1938. Not sure why, as his mother lived on Goldsmith Street (I’m assuming it’s not the one in Beechdale).

Anyone know anything about who the tenants were then? (Big ask)

Findmypast says it was vacant in 1939, so I’m now at a loss...

:(

Incidentally  a aunt & uncle of mine lived at number 18, must have been just after the war until demolition  there name were Francis & Albert Wilson.

• Like 1

All his working life dahn pit !

• Like 1