For sale, Nikon D90 DSLR with Nikkor 18-200vr lens. Low shutter count & in mint condition. Both bought by me from "Jessops".

£600.

More details on request.

DSCN16631144x856.jpg

Recent image.

DSC_3622600x399.jpg

Have you given up photography?

No ! Also have a Panasonic LX2, used as a second camera but lately used more often than not as the main camera.

To be honest I could'nt be A***D to carry a DSLR with a telephoto lens around all day anymore. We were down the Norfolk coast the other week & I had the LX2 with me, realised then this was the way to go !

Last week I bought a LX5, very nice !

Sorry to go off topic but this thread reminded me.

I recently took a picture of my grandaughter in the garden - lovely shot! She ran up to me in excitement saying, 'Let me see!' She was bemused when I told her that the film wasn`t finished and then it would have to go and be developed before she coud see it.

She thought I was teasing as it`s not the first time I`ve 'refused' to let her see the picture in the back of the camera.

That reminds me of a visit to an early Photography Show in London.

On the Polaroid stand the Rep handed me the First Polaroid Land Camera.

"Try it sir its really easy to use"

"What is it"

"Its the new Polaroid Land Camera, it makes instant pictures"

"Really! How do you work it, its not like my Canon"

"Just push the button sir, the camera will do the rest"

After struggling to get the thing to open up, I cradled it very gently in my hand, god forbid If I should

drop the bleddy thing!

"Go on sir, Give it a go, its pretty Idiot Proof"

I turned and pointed it to the crowd who were watching, and pressed the button.

The thing started making a strange whirring noise, those of you who had one of these will know exactly what I mean...

Suddenly and unexpectedly the Camera ejected the exposed print. Or attempted to, as the case may be.

Being cradled for safety in my sweaty palm, the camera could not eject the finished product. The whirring noise turned into a metallic grinding noise, and the print remained concertina'd into the camera works.

The prototype Land cameras was quickly snatched from my grasp.

"Thanks for the demo, I think I will stick with the Canon!"

A lot of photographers used Polaroid cameras to do test shots before "wasting" film way back when.

I found them to be worse than standard film for fading. At least with standard film, you did have the negatives to fall back on.

I found them to be worse than standard film for fading. At least with standard film, you did have the negatives to fall back on.

With the early ones, they came with a "fixer" that you wiped onto the print - which helped stop the fading. The later, more popular camera "film" did not include the fixer. I do believe that somewhere hidden in the small print were the directions on how to buy a spray-on "fixer" that would alleviate the fading problem - but Polaroid film was always expensive by comparison.

You could also get Polaroid film the gave a negative as well as a positive - it was VERY popular for use in metallurgical microscopes, especially scanning electron microscopes - and is probably still in use. Again, expensive, but it did produce a very nice print (B&W) and a negative. The advances in digital imaging have almost completely eliminated it though. (Oh, and it came with the "fixer"!)

I had a Polaroid "Swinger" Mk 2 (Complete with flash cube that you plugged in the side and wound up) way back in the day, trouble was , as a kid I couldn't afford the film for it , so I only took about 3 films on it !!

I seem to remember "Hanging from the ceiling" at one of those "Photo world" shows at Olympia Mick. Have you still got a copy ?? My mother did her usual trick of tidying my stuff up when I went to Ibiza, her idea of tidying stuff up was to throw it in the dustbin !!!!

Polaroid no longer make any film of any type Eric, not sure if it was last year or the year before they ceased production. They were also used to take photos using a special shield/mount on oscilloscopes.

I'd presume that has been taken over with digital cameras now.

I wasn't aware of the spray, never had a Polaroid, but the wife did and used it now and again, most of the old photos are pretty much faded now.