It was at the top end of Maid Marion Way, long gone now...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I married my uncle gave me £10 00 to buy a wedding present. I went to Pearson's and brought a sliver plated tray, tea pot, milk jug, and water jug. It cost all of my ten pounds, I had never spen

I remember The Golden Cage. It was there for years. Also Pennyfeathers on Goldsmith Street, in an old Victorian house that probably isn't there any longer.  They were ideal places for finding theatric

I once had me a little part-time job with 'Smith Englefield'; just a few hours a week whilst I was at college. I didn't last long; too much like 'Hard Selling' - pestering the customer into a sale,

On 4/11/2024 at 1:03 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Muriel's mum, according to my mum, was determined to marry off her daughter to one of the Player family and she bought her the most exquisite clothes, including evening gowns and swanky shoes for the social gatherings Muriel attended in the late 40s and 50s.  Many of them came from a very high class ladieswear shop in the council house arcade in Nottingham, next to Burton's.

I've been trying to remember the name of the shop I was referring to and the name Peter Barrie has suddenly sprung to mind. I'm not sure whether it's the right one. Does anyone else remember it? It was there for many years. The premises are still there but occupied by someone else these days.

I remember another very high class shop on Long Row, I think, where Muriel's clothes came from but, again, the name escapes me. Just remember mum pointing out the place when I was a child and saying that all the taffeta ball gowns and velvet skirts In my dressing up box originally came from there.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2024 at 1:03 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember The Golden Cage. It was there for years. Also Pennyfeathers on Goldsmith Street, in an old Victorian house that probably isn't there any longer.  They were ideal places for finding theatrical costumes.

When I was a child, we lived next door to an elderly couple whose only daughter, Muriel, had been one of my mother's best friends from early childhood.  After attending Berridge and the dreaded Manning Grammar, Muriel went to Millers Business College and then found employment as a secretary to one of the directors of Player's.  Muriel's mum, according to my mum, was determined to marry off her daughter to one of the Player family and she bought her the most exquisite clothes, including evening gowns and swanky shoes for the social gatherings Muriel attended in the late 40s and 50s.  Many of them came from a very high class ladieswear shop in the council house arcade in Nottingham, next to Burton's.

The best laid plans of Muriel's mother went awry and, whilst on holiday in Cornwall, Muriel met a Cornish boat builder and married him instead.  In the early 60s, Muriel's mum turfed out all her daughter's old clothes and donated them to my dressing up box.  I loved parading about in them :rolleyes:

Wondrful memories, Jill. more of this please, Alpha.

22 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember another very high class shop on Long Row, I think, where Muriel's clothes came from but, again, the name escapes me. 

Presumably on Long Row somewhere between King St/ClumberStreet ?

And the name Peter Barrie vaguely rings a bell; I probably walked past the place many times, obviously without going in.

Had a look on Street view at the former Peter Barrie premises. The frontage has been altered and it looks very different now.  Many years ago, I bought a short evening cape from there. It was in the sale. The original price was eyewatering! I still have it.

The other shop may have been nearer to Pearson's than Clumber Street.  I'll have to find a 1950s trade directory and see whether I can track it down.

This from the 1950s :

Peter Barrie, New
Exchange Buildings, a business owned by Barnett Hutton of 3 Broadway , Nottm.
 Mr. Eric Knowles, the manager.

• Like 1