:) Very much missed in Nottingham's City Centre are Quality Class shops, such as: Toby's, Pearson Bros, Waring and Gillow, Farmer's - all were lovely to browse around............ and giving that 'extra little bit of something' within their service.

It's a truism that we have to move with the times but I wouldn't be surprised if shops similar to those I mention, make a welcome return to the High Street one day. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I married my uncle gave me £10 00 to buy a wedding present. I went to Pearson's and brought a sliver plated tray, tea pot, milk jug, and water jug. It cost all of my ten pounds, I had never spen

I once had me a little part-time job with 'Smith Englefield'; just a few hours a week whilst I was at college. I didn't last long; too much like 'Hard Selling' - pestering the customer into a sale,

Thomas Pearson died in 1962 and his address was 22 Carisbrooke Drive.  He left £29000 - a sizeable sum for the time and Probate was granted to Laurence Herbert Pearson and Alan Stewart Pearson (his so

:) I once had me a little part-time job with 'Smith Englefield'; just a few hours a week whilst I was at college. I didn't last long; too much like 'Hard Selling' - pestering the customer into a sale, not for me!

Now here's an interesting snippet: a cousin to the family - they were West Bridgford based - was Colin (?), a well established actor; he played the part of Arthur Seaton's friend in 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'.

PS: I'll check Colin's Surname on 'Google', then add to.........

:hand: I'm Back. Yes, the name of the actor related to the family was Colin Blakely. He was considered an actor of a wide range. Tragically he died young.

Colin used to pick up his cousin, the *Manageress, from the Smith Englefield shop in his Super little sports car; 'Vroom, vroom, vroom and off they'd disappear out of Parliament Street.

Tragically Colin died at an early age from leukaemia.

*The Manageress was trained in retail at Harrods. :)

• Upvote 3

:) Very much missed in Nottingham's City Centre are Quality Class shops, such as: Toby's, Pearson Bros, Waring and Gillow, Farmer's - all were lovely to browse around............ and giving that 'extra little bit of something' within their service.

It's a truism that we have to move with the times but I wouldn't be surprised if shops similar to those I mention, make a welcome return to the High Street one day. :)

Ah, Waring and Gillow - now that was a lovely store. Some beautiful furniture in there.

Remember when I moved into my second home many years ago after a lot of struggle. Had a few pounds earmarked for a little nice furniture after starting home ownership sitting on deck chairs and having little spare cash and would peruse there frequently as I worked in town in the Lace Market at that time.

They don't make furniture stores like that any more... with the possible exception of Hopewells maybe.

Christine

It was incumbent upon me to give you a 'like' for that post @#35 :)

Me too. What an evocative post, Christine. Lovely stuff.

What was the furniture shop top of Market street on the right, Late 70s early 80s?

And dont forget Baker & Plum Derby Road, which had a sign outside "The Cash only furniture store"?

above it was some sort of knitting company, remember it catching fire, all the roof went etc, think rebuilt minus the top floor? wasn't there a pyklet factory in that complex too? thinking back was amazing just how many factories etc went up in flames in old and new basford over the years!

I worked at the end of Beech Avenue from 1967 to 1975 and walked by Gold and Dunn warehouse every day. I don't remember there being a fire there but maybe it happened after I'd left Nottingham. My parents bought loads of furniture from G & D when they could finally afford to get rid of their 'utility' furniture. The chaps in there were very good at their job, knew their stuff and made good friends with their customers so they would return time and time again.

When Waring and Gillow had their closing down sale some friends of ours were just setting up home in Nottingham. They went into the store and bought EVERYTHING they needed in one go and at vastly reduced prices. Right place right time ;-)

On 7/8/2011 at 2:29 PM, BulwellBrian said:

Were there two shops, Pearson Bros opposite the Odeon and Pearson & Pearson on the same side as the Odeon?

I recall a Pearson & Pearson and thought it was opposite Pearson Bros.

Did Pearson & Pearson sell musical instruments? If not what was the name of that shop.

This link gives a bit more information on the Pearson Bros store, ie. origin, ownership, trading, building and eventual closure: -

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-68323.html?s=040f7d17782172985a4da5f5dfedd4b8

• Upvote 1

Strange...I remembered the maps and looked back to check....In that link several mentions that it was Wigglesworths the ironmongers before Pearsons opened it as a furniture store in 1889...and yet here 7 years earlier it clearly shows that it was already a furniture warehouse in 1882.And already reached from Long Row to Parliament Street.And it shows the pillars that still exist on Long Row that extend onto the pavement,a common occurrence in Nottingham when many shops encroached into the roads before pavements were invented.

xxxxxxxxxxxx_zps3a052fb7.jpg

Interesting link there about the Pearson family. One branch of the family did indeed live on Carisbrooke Drive, Mapperley Park in a large property which is now Carisbrooke Nursing Home. The Pearsons sold it to an Irish family with loads of kids and it then became a nursing home. We live just along the road from there in a house that the Freckletons built ........ now most of you must have had your baby portraits taken in their studio, top of Market Street!!!

This gets more puzzling, poohbear.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM000970&pos=18&action=zoom&id=52417

This link shows that the Bear Inn (next to the Derby Arms Inn in your map) being demolished in 1858 to make way for Foster and Cooper Ltd, a furniture store that occupied the premises extending from Long Row West thru to Upper Parliament until it was converted to a private limited company in 1914: -

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/monographs/nottingham1927/nottingham19.htm

That answers your question as to why your map shows it as a furniture store back in 1882.

The question now is where both Wigglesworth and Pearson Bros were/are because I cannot find any trace of them on PTP back in the late 1890-1900 era. Do we have any street numbers?

I will keep looking though!

Interesting link Trevor S

Lots of info and two more links in there, which I have not got time to peruse at the moment...

http://www.wardcole.co.uk/project-detail.php?id=24&cat=3&str=pearsons%20store

http://www.nlha.org.uk/nottshistn.html (article in Nottinghamshire Historian Number 70: Spring/Summer 2003)

You're right there Trev, I'm too far up towards Chapel Bar. That warehouse is Foster Coopers at No's 63/4

Pearsons in this 1890s directory is further down at 56/7 just one door down from Hurts Yard.

Love the way it describes them as ironmongers and bellhangers??

33344455_zps69c4bb3d.jpg

To my reckoning that puts them here...Which certainly backs up an earlier post that said the place was like a rabbit warren being made up of many seperate buildings over the years.

xxxxxxxxxxxx_zps1baa7082.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another link shows that Shepperly and Pearce had a business where Messrs Pearson the ironmongers now have their business would indicate that that Pearsons could be close to 27 Long Row: -

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1932/itinerary1932p2.htm

A search on Google reveals 27 Long Row currently looks like this:

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-457454-27-long-row-/photos

In 1840, John Wigglesworth - Ironmonger was in partnership with a Middleton in Long Row.

We need to know the number in both Long Row East and Parliament Street of Pearson Bros to extend this search.

Good one poohbear. I think we have proven that Pearson Bros was at 56-7 Long Row West.

However, if their premises extended up to Parliament Street and Hurts Yard remained; did the Fox and Owl Inn get demolished and the large glass facade of Pearsons Bros on Parliament Street take its place????

Compo, re #41, I think that the music shop which was next to Pearsons store was Farmers Music, but can't recall whether this was at some stage amalgamated into Pearsons. Anyone throw any light onto this?

• Upvote 1