The Ilkeston Road Electric Picture Palace

Who remembers this wonderful flea pit?

We used to get the 39 trolley bus there from Middleton Boulevard on a Saturday morning for the kids matinee. They showed several cowboy films, usually Tex Ritter or Johnny Mack Brown, and then a serial. If the noise from the kids in the theatre got too loud the manager would put up the house lights, switch off the projector and stand on the stage and announce that the film was still going on but that unless the noise etc were stopped then we would miss it. That usually worked for a while. They also gave out free tickets for next weeks show to the best behaved kids. I got one once only.

Sorry i meant the other right

the kids in the balcony would throw the tubs of ice cream on to the kids below trick was dont go downstairs but then again there was a chance you would get thrown over,Saw that a few times

Everytime there was a chase scene everyone would start cheering

I seem to remember some space thing with rayguns & rockets that made a buzzing sound & like a match flame out the back really corny

Forgot the name of it but it was in installments each week

Wow that picture looks like the stone age but it must have been taken in the sixtys

Are we talking of the now carpet wharehouse (if still there) just above Drapers airgun, machete, hatchet and other killer weapons shop?, If so went in it about 10 years ago, the inside was still original, (less seats of course) even still had the small stage and screen, curtains etc, was amazed how small it seemed once inside

Are we talking of the now carpet wharehouse (if still there) just above Drapers airgun, machete, hatchet and other killer weapons shop?,

Isn't that the Guns-4-U place on Hartley Road HERE ? Why and how does that place still exist?

I think the cinema up from there has been mentioned here before, although I can't remember what it was called.

Some of you are miles out The Ilkeston Road Electric Picture Palace was directly opposite the Willbond showroom on Ilkeston road .

Cliff ton picture is bang on because the top of Salisbury street opposite the old jolly higglers was renamed Stansfield street after the demolition.

Sorry i meant the other right

the kids in the balcony would throw the tubs of ice cream on to the kids below trick was dont go downstairs but then again there was a chance you would get thrown over,Saw that a few times

Everytime there was a chase scene everyone would start cheering

I seem to remember some space thing with rayguns & rockets that made a buzzing sound & like a match flame out the back really corny

Forgot the name of it but it was in installments each week

Wow that picture looks like the stone age but it must have been taken in the sixtys

I think that the serial was probably Flash Gordon, and another one was Cat Woman.

Some of you are miles out The Ilkeston Road Electric Picture Palace was directly opposite the Willbond showroom on Ilkeston road .

Cliff ton picture is bang on because the top of Salisbury street opposite the old jolly higglers was renamed Stansfield street after the demolition.

I guess the title Ilkeston Rd Picture Palace should have given me a clue! lol, know the area well as my last job was based about where that picture was taken from but can't recall any cinema there at all,

Owdace you mean,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRavD_AB8aA

I remember also an early B&W Batman serial, probably made 1940s?

Also this chap who could jump off a wall in the Hollywood Hills and not

hit the ground till he reached Sunset Blvd!

SHAZAM

That's the one, King of the Rocket Men, even at the age of 5 it was so bad we all laughed at it. Hopalong Cassidy was a regular, but anything with Jesse James in the title was seriously good.

I used to go to the Tudor on Central Avenue, West bridgford, 3d to get in and 1d bus fare each way.

I feel really sorry for the kids of today, they will never know the freedom we all enjoyed.

That's not rocketman, it's oldace in his full face helmet! bet a rear view would see a club on his back! (remember the guys at Cottam power station that morning with their helmets and ear defenders,lol)

Remember walking on the roof of Cottam power station with you Ashley, it was bouncing too much for comfort, not sure all of it was meant to be walked on. Nice view though. I remember we walked through the turbine house without ear defenders. Elf n safety?!?!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was pleased to read this thread as I used to wonder about this cinema as we passed it on the bus home in the 50's.

It was always closed when we went by.

I was drawn to it as a kid because it had posters outside with Disney characters on.

It always used to remind me of the The News House at the top of Market St where my mum took me to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in about 1955.

I found the link below with some information about Nottingham cinemas.

It would seem The News House was originally opened so Nottingham people could see newsreels of the war as it came to an end.

http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/writing/how-did-the-second-world-war-affect-cinema-in-nottingham/