Fancy a LITTLE camping ???

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bedford Motor Home,Yorkshire Sep 2012.The only way to go Camping.

First trip of the year - to Florida to thaw out! Took three days to get down here, but it is a lot easier that way when you are towing a house. First location in Florida is Bonita Springs for a week

Well, after getting the dog, we decided the old truck wasn't big enough for us, but that rather than buy a new one we would just look for a good deal - well, I found it at the local Dodge dealer! Sam

Posted Images

Carbon neutral??? BS!!! Did it make itself entirely from materials it produced from thin air without any energy input...Dahhhhhh. Then that scooter needs charging everyday..... Where do they come up with such BS???

Of course Kev, I forgot, politicians are a thick bunch of...... well you get the picture.

LOL - Now THIS is how you go camping 'merican style! Queen sized bed, air conditioning, heat, stove, microwave, generator, the lot!

We just bought it - a 2001 model, but only 13,400 miles on it, it looks and drives like new, priced $14,000 below the book value and about 1/4 of the new cost! Downside - a V10 engine so only about 10mpg!

Yes, it is a small house on wheels - and we are looking forward to getting a LOT of use out of it. No, we will NOT be doing much "boondocking" - that is only for those who really can't afford to do it in style!

post-477-0-06434100-1303922964_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-20254300-1303922988_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-53640700-1303923001_thumb.gif

Thats nice, but I prefer the Raddison Orlando, the 'South Coast' or 'New Orleans' in Las Vegas.Or even the Southernmost Hotel Key West.

Someone sent me photos of REAL motor homes Eric, mind you they must have cost a fortune, two even had a car hoist. A platform slid out from under the huge truck frame, lowered to the ground, you then drove your car onto it and it stowed the car safely away. NO towing the car!!

I saw a travel trailer once that was nearly as big as a house. Retired couple had it and lived on the road. What was it towed by??? A huge Kenworth tractor unit!! I think the trailer was well over 50 foot in length.

I'll see if I still have those emails with the luxury motor homes in them. If I still have them, I'll post them here so you can drool over them....

I hear ya, John. We typically go to the RV show nearby and some of those things are amazing - and cost more than our house! They "toy haulers" that have a built in garage in the back are also becoming pretty popular!

We aren't in that league - but with what we didn't spend on the coach, we can spend on fuel so that we can afford to use it - and we will tow a "modest" trailer with a motorcycle for "local" touring.

I can't locate the email, so did a bit of surfing, try this little number for a cool three quarter of a million bucks!!! Note the size of motor!!!

CHASSIS FEATURES

Spartan® K3 Chassis with IFS

Cummins® ISX 600 Hp

Allison® 4000 MH Transmission

Tag Axle

Automatic Traction Control

Comfort Driveâ„¢ Steering with Power Column and Adjustable Control

Alcoa Dura-Brite® ACCU-SHIELD™ Non-Polish Aluminum Wheels

HWH® Four-Point Hydraulic Jacks with Single-Touch Control and Chassis Air Leveling

Power Tilt and Telescope VIP Smart Wheel® with Black Leather

Memory Settings for Driver’s Seat, Pedals, Steering Wheel and Exterior Mirrors

Cruise Control

Recessed Fuel Fills with Crossover to Fill from Either Side

Back-Up Alarm

Anti-Lock Braking System

Front and Rear Tag Disc Brakes

Electronic Chassis Information Display in Dash

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Chassis Service Center

Leece-Neville 270-Amp Alternator

200-Gallon Fuel Tank

55-Degree Cramp Angle

CABINETS AND FURNITURE

Soho High Gloss Cherry Hardwood Fully Overlayed Cabinet Doors

Hidden-Leaf Dinette Table with Corian® Top and Four Chairs (Two Fixed, Two Folding)*

Polished Corian® Countertop in Kitchen with Undermounted Stainless Steel Sink

and Flush Sink Covers

Polished Corian® Countertop in Bathroom

Polished Corian® Countertop on Bedroom Nightstands

Residential-Style Full Extension Ball Bearin Drawer Guides

Drawers with Dovetailed Sides

Concealed Hinges on Cabinet Doors

Villaâ„¢ Furniture

Ultraleather/Vinyl Heated Driver Seat with Eight-Way Power, Power Lumbar and Power Recline

Ultraleather/Vinyl Heated Oversized Passenger Seat with Eight-Way Power, Power Lumbar, Power Recline and Power Footrest

Cedar Paneling in Rear Wardrobe

King Bed with Hardwood Raised-Panel Bed Base

ELECTRICAL FEATURES

12.5 kW Cummins Onan® Diesel Quiet Generator on Hydraulic Slide and Auto Changeover

50-Amp Electrical Service with Flexible Cord on Power Cord Rewind Reel

Four AGM House Batteries on Pullout Tray

Battery Disconnect Switch

5-Watt Solar Panel

2,800-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Automatic Generator Start

Emergency Start Switch

Midship Side Turn Signals

Recessed Docking Lights

Switched Receptacle for Engine Block Heater

Recessed Halogen Lights in Ceiling and Overhead Cabinets

Lighted Wardrobes with Automatic Switches

ICC Light Flasher Switch

Mood Lights in Lambrequins, Kitchen Valance and Bed Base

Daylight Headlight System

Silverleaf® Multiplex Control System

And so many other extras!!!

I wonder if it comes with a full tank of fuel??? LOL

Can just see that reversing into Merebrook Campsite near Whatstandwell lol, Back in the uk I'm surprised no one hasn't pursued the idea of an "artic camper", something along the lines of a pickup with a 2 wheel trailer that has jack legs? as one of the problems with motorhomes in the uk is that is your only form of transport once you get to your destination? ie you get to your site and get settled, then have to pack up, stow everything away again to get to any local town or beaches etc,I think some firm did such 1960/70's? Maybe it's just me "living in the past" in days of converted old ambulances etc? though within last 10 years saw one made from a converted horsebox! however that does not surpass the static "park home" seen in the 1950's on Golden Sands Mablethorpe made from a converted Horsa gilder! (D Day and all that)

There's quite a few of the "artic" type trailers out here in Lincs, Toyota/Mitsubishi pickup truck with fifth wheel fitted, very nice they look too

Rog

There's quite a few of the "artic" type trailers out here in Lincs, Toyota/Mitsubishi pickup truck with fifth wheel fitted, very nice they look too

Rog

drat, another money making scheme gone west! didn't realise that, are such made thus or adaptations?

What about a double decker bus Ashley?

Yes, I saw "Summer Holiday" (twice in one week actually, first was enough but that taught me not to two time girlfriend!)

One of the fair blokes who stayed on the winter quarters on Western Blvd did a very good conversion of a single decker coach, too all the side windows out, sheeted over where they'd been with steel, & fitted d/g units as required, when finished and painted looked very good, another had one of the old extending wagons, said so called as road wheels could be removed and others fitted so could be run on railways, not sure if true but seemed serious about it

Can just see that reversing into Merebrook Campsite near Whatstandwell lol, Back in the uk I'm surprised no one hasn't pursued the idea of an "artic camper", something along the lines of a pickup with a 2 wheel trailer that has jack legs? as one of the problems with motorhomes in the uk is that is your only form of transport once you get to your destination? ie you get to your site and get settled, then have to pack up, stow everything away again to get to any local town or beaches etc,I think some firm did such 1960/70's? Maybe it's just me "living in the past" in days of converted old ambulances etc? though within last 10 years saw one made from a converted horsebox! however that does not surpass the static "park home" seen in the 1950's on Golden Sands Mablethorpe made from a converted Horsa gilder! (D Day and all that)

Those are called "5th wheels" over here and are quite common on the roads. In fact a lot of stock trailers are "5th" wheel types with the "goose neck" hitch.

Here's some Jayco 5th wheel travel trailers.

fifth.wheels.jpg

LOL - Now THIS is how you go camping 'merican style! Queen sized bed, air conditioning, heat, stove, microwave, generator, the lot!

We just bought it - a 2001 model, but only 13,400 miles on it, it looks and drives like new, priced $14,000 below the book value and about 1/4 of the new cost! Downside - a V10 engine so only about 10mpg!

Yes, it is a small house on wheels - and we are looking forward to getting a LOT of use out of it. No, we will NOT be doing much "boondocking" - that is only for those who really can't afford to do it in style!

post-477-0-06434100-1303922964_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-20254300-1303922988_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-53640700-1303923001_thumb.gif

Right that's my back up vehicle organised for when I 'do' route 66 on a "Fat boy" or an "Electroglide" (SWMBO can follow me with the kids!!)

Not much left of Route 66 Ian, you'd probably see all there is in one day.

I can diversify. (As long as I can find a good fishing lake some where!!)

Well if fishings all you want, I'm told all the rivers in this area are good fishing rivers. Not being an angler myself, I can only go by what I'm told.