Fancy a LITTLE camping ???

Here in this tourist town of ours, gas is $3.94-$3.99, what a rip off. Consequently I get my gas in Flagstaff as I go over once a week anyway. 40c a gallon cheaper. They are 2nd most expensive in Az, the further south we go the cheaper it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bedford Motor Home,Yorkshire Sep 2012.The only way to go Camping.

First trip of the year - to Florida to thaw out! Took three days to get down here, but it is a lot easier that way when you are towing a house. First location in Florida is Bonita Springs for a week

Well, after getting the dog, we decided the old truck wasn't big enough for us, but that rather than buy a new one we would just look for a good deal - well, I found it at the local Dodge dealer! Sam

Posted Images

OK got the money together for the new tires now to make the choice

Maypops $2460

Toyo $2840

Goodyear $3820

Michelin $ dont ask

Av a feelin i'll be getting the Toyo's

I can diversify. (As long as I can find a good fishing lake some where!!)

I think a non resident fishing licence is about....................................................................................$600 in Ca

Dont get caught without one fine about 20yrs ago was $1000

My son just got a ticket for a underage flagger in the boat & one too few floatation cushion $720

Can you get Maxxis tyres... sorry tires, in the US?

We use them on the Kart when racing

Not seen them for cars & trucks but they are a very good tire for our racing

I put Firestones on the Wendy House - but they may not be available in your size. We are now 700 miles from home in Onawa, Iowa (no, I do not know how to pronounce Onawa!). If you would like to follow our adventure, Mary has set up a blog HERE. Complete with photos! Big day tomorrow - a 400+ mile drive to Deadwood, SD.

ON-OWA at a guess.... Or ON-AWAR?

I put Firestones on the Wendy House - but they may not be available in your size. We are now 700 miles from home in Onawa, Iowa (no, I do not know how to pronounce Onawa!). If you would like to follow our adventure, Mary has set up a blog HERE. Complete with photos! Big day tomorrow - a 400+ mile drive to Deadwood, SD.

All i could find was tires called Double coin which my son nicknamed Maypops lol

Khumo, Yoka & mich in my size & i forgot i needed 9 if i replaced the spare its never been used but more than 5 years old i think i will risk it

By the way watch out for the gas stops they are a long way in between if you push your luck on the gas guage, that is kind of scary when it says next gas 125ml & you only have 1/4 tank

When i did it from Chicago to California i only had 3 days,2100 miles I do remember well the Black hills of Dakota ,Laramee & Bonneville salt flats .

Talk about Nackered i was delerius.

Doing really well - made it to the Black Hills on Sunday. Visited Mt. Rushmore on Monday and Devils Tower on Tuesday. Both amazing places and great motorcycle roads too - not to mention very friendly speed limits (75mph on freeways, 65 on other major roads)! Left there this morning and am now setup in Ranchester, Wyoming. Great views of the Bighorn Mountains which still have a surprising amount of snow - considering the heatwave we have been seeing!

Off into Sheridan to check out my old haunts!

Oh, and I think it is pronounced ON-A-Way! Flooding on the Missouri was spectacular!

I read your blog & it looks like you are really having fun it looks a lot better than i remember it, I did it in the middle of winter,

I seem to remember that the Mt Rushmore rock carving was on the right hand side going down a mountain siding on the ice with my wife saying "wow look at that" & all i could do was a quick glance & back to the death grip i had on the wheel .

Maybe one day will be able to do the trip a little slower & be able to take in the views.

One thing that i did notice when we pulled in to get gas in some of the towns it was like you stepped back in time ,Old Model T's & horse & buggy's & John boy clothes.

I did get my tires put on today boy does it drive nice, Now i have to see if i have enough left to fill it up with gas.

Well, we made it back home! A fun trip, but having a deadline to get home was a little nerve-wracking. I do NOT recommend driving an RV with a trailer through Chicago on a Sunday afternoon - not a pleasant experience!

Amazing variation in fuel prices - from $4.05 on the Chicago toll roads to $3.61 in South Dakota. even at the lower prices it was over $100 to fill up the beast. Luckily, the bike does 45 mpg so the local touring offset driving the RV!

Now I have to wash it, clean up the inside and get ready to head out again on Thursday - but only "up north" for the weekend!

Could be worse Eric, I've got to drive the 4 of us to Cornwall via South Wales , in a smaller car than we used to have , so I've bought a set of roof bars and a roof box (Not cheep) just to make sure I can get all the luggage in. On the plus side it does do about 150 miles to the 60 quid fill up more than the last car. On my recent trip to RIAT I achieved over 500 mile from one tank of motion lotion, in the old car it would have been closer to 350 miles , roughly the same size tank too!

On the down side , I sit that bit higher up and tend not to notice I'm "Cruising" along at around 100 MPH !! thus negating the extra MPG that I should be achieving !!!

Beefy, one of the things I have noticed about rental cars over there is that they NEVER have cruise control. I find that using CC (set at 5mph over the limit in a car) helps a lot with the fuel economy. I also find that on long trips it stops me getting tired so quickly. On the RV it is a MUST HAVE since it cruises comfortably at 65!

LOL - you need two bungy cords in order to go to the bathroom!

Every rental I've had in the States has had cruise control, even the (cough, cough) bottom of the range one SWMBO and I had last time over to Florida. (Didn't half P155 off the rental clerk as she was trying her hardest to sell me umpteen upgrades and I wouldn't be budged, I ended up with a mid range Chrysler for no extra cost ,as this was all they had left ..................LOL

I dont think i was ever going long enough to use CC in england it was always 0 to 90mph to 0 every few min

$ 239 to fill tank from 1/4 full , 3 times on the debit card as the pump only lets me have $100 at a time

Got tires got gas now find time to go somewhere , But wifey booked ticket to Uk today so all my plans out the window.

Beefy putting stuff on the roof knocks your petrol milage down a bunch

No contest distance wise but in 1970 did 300 miles to Dumbarton then 300 back the next day on a 350cc Norton, no problem with the bike other than the silencer completely splitting into two, the back 12" or so shearing off, I suspect with the constant hour after hour vibration, luckily weather was fine but last 150 miles or so coming back a right ordeal, had to push ourselves to do 25 miles between stops, cold too (summer evening) by time we got to Sherwood Forest area, recall us making a fire at side of a layby to thaw out frozen fingers!

Beefy putting stuff on the roof knocks your petrol milage down a bunch

Get away!!.........LOL........slywink

Seriously though , I did notice a significant reduction in MPG with just the roof bars on, but when I fitted the (Extremely ) streamlined roof box it was more or less back to how it had been.

The secret is to ensure the front of the roof box is level with the top of the windscreen , thus continuing the flow of air (Aerodynamically) over the box without it causing the extra drag.

It's amazing how many cars you see with the box hanging over the front of the car causing umpteen miles of lost MPG.

Me and the old lady tried to drive route 66,starting in Chicago,gave up second day, it was all Interstate,now and again a couple of miles of the old 66,touristy BS. Drove home with a tin route66 sign a CD,and 4 wasted days,should have gone to the keys.