My mother used to refer to any illness someone had as DIDLUM TWINK. Conversation went along the lines of "has anyone seen whosit lately" the reply would be "Nah not seen him, think ayz got DIDLUM TWINK"

Has anyone else heard this phrase, perhaps revealing what treatment may be available for the illness, maybe DIDLUM TWINK was the last stage of having partaken of two much falling down water at the local hostelry.

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember the Didlum, when i worked at a clothing factory in town we all used to put in so much a week then we had a fuddle at Christmas

• 1 year later...

Didlum was a sort of savings club where you saved so much per week for an event, Christmas or holiday etc. Never heard of didlum twink though.

My mother & her 3 sisters & her brother would giver grandma some much as a saving for Christmas in the late 50s/early 60s.

As people got better wages the didlum stopped.

I can remember the Didlum, when i worked at a clothing factory in town we all used to put in so much a week then we had a fuddle at Christmas

Not heard the word 'Fuddle' for a long time. Special evenings when the brother and I got to go to the village (RoT) with our Dad and he would buy the comics, Beano, Eagle, Hotspur and the Dandy as well as some assorted chocolates and sweets (Sherbet tubes with the liquorice straw, Mars bars, Frys cream bars, and those picks that were 3 or 4 for sixpence out of the big jars with the screw lids. Back home to read the comics, eat the sweets and argue over whose turn is was to get what comic! Thanks carltongal for reminding me about that one.

It's called a "Tontine" round these parts.

When I first moved here there was a fellow ran one as a Christmas club in the local pub. It was very popular indeed. I used to drop in "early doors" on the way home from work on a Friday and pay in a tenner as that is what I'd seen my mates do (Not realising that everbody else was paying 10 quid a month !!)

It was great at Christmas though !!

The fellow who ran it (John) got bought a pint by everybody who partook of it , it kept him in beer for weeks into the new year !!

Sadly the pub is now closed and shuttered and has been for about six months now!

Beefsteak, I think that you were all lucky he didn't do a runner with all that money. Years ago on London Road, opposite Meadow Lane, there used to be a cafe and the chap that ran it used to get people tickets. My Dad and eldest brother paid him for two Forest tickets in the FA Cup but he did a runner. It turned out that nearly every Forest supporter who my Dad knew had paid for tickets so the chap must have made a fortune.

He'd been doing it for years before I joined it , so it was pretty safe. (But I know what you mean) I think he was just happy to reap the interest that the account gleaned over the year.

when i worked at boots wearhouse in beeston we had two didlums one for gimsoms shop in beeston i used to pay in 2 pounds per week for things for my bottom draw before i got married then when we had saved ten pounds we would be given a credit note for this amountyoou coud save them as long as you liked until you had enough to buy the things you wanted or needed.the other didlum was for nights outso about once every couple of months we would get a trip out to pubs like shoulder of mutton at south normington or the peacock or the windmill at redmileto name but a few. we paid in 1 pound each a week into this one witch paid for the bus and we always got anything over the cost of the bus hire back towards your drinks for the night, we would sometimes go to the theatre or hart of the midlands for a show and a chicken in the basket meal.we had some really good nights out and good company with many a laughand because we paid into this as soon as we got our wages on a friday you did not realy miss the moneyonly had to buy your drinks for the night and for us young ones who whould be going out for a drink anyway it was no different