Photographic Group

Now that I have retired I will be getting out more with my new camera.

Myself and friends from my old camera club are forming up a group to go out during the summer.

Friends from work are also interested.

Members of the group so far are pro, semi pro and amateur photographers.

Here's a chance to improve your photography, whatever camera you own.

If anyone is interested in joining us, you would be welcome.

Its quite possible that the group may get access to place where public are not normally allowed to take photographs.

Break out that Kodak Brownie, Send a PM if you wish to be included.

I think film cameras are just about dead, cost of processing is getting higher every year now!

I know it was a project for website construction, then posted as an April fools joke, but the idea was fabulous and creative, a digital module to fit in 35mm film cameras!! Now if only one of the camera manufacturers would take the idea up and market at a reasonable price, we could utilize our old 35mm cameras once more.!

Thought of it for many years.

I'd love to use my old Canon bodies and FD lenses.

Youd think the Chinese would do something?

Would be nice, as I have some lenses that are useless without 35mm camera bodies!

Here's the link Here Like I say, the original site was a test for web page building students, and as the material never existed, they decided to use it as an April 1st joke. BUT, the concept is excellent and well within todays technology!!

Great idea !!

I too came up with a brilliant idea a few years back (You can ask SWMBO if you don't believe me !!)

I was at a footy match and was looking at this photographer taking some shots, then pulling out his memory card and putting it in his laptop to review them. It got me thinking that whilst he was doing this he could miss "The money shot" as that controversial ball went in the net !!

I thought , wouldn't it be a good idea to just have a slab type touch screen, no key board that you could review pictures on (Plugged in to your camera) that you could view immediately, maybe a quick crop and then send them to your editor who could them put them straight into that nights edition of the Football Post with out having to waste time waiting for you to get to the office (Or a PC) to edit and input them manually.

I told SWMBO about it when I got home and told her that I'd have to make an appointment with Alan Sugar or Dragons Den, anyway (And obviously) I did nothing , a year or so later out comes the "ipad" and it does exactly what I wanted it to do !!!

Bugger!!

A USB cable hooked up to his laptop would have worked perfectly, or was that before USB???

As I said this was a few years ago !! I'm not 100% , but I don't think WiFi existed at the time (After all, that was part of my invention !!)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I mess about with Photography a bit and video, heres a couple of videos of mine. At our local Dance with our Keyboard Player John Westlake and Troops returning from war.

I use Cyberlink Power Director for editing. I have a fairly decent Kodak DX6490 and a JVC video Camera GRD34E.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zHga1Sa13h0

A few Stills ( Autumn Leaves )

https://picasaweb.go...tumnLeaves2010#

I see Kodak's introduced their newest DSLR camera, try 30Mp, but you'll have to plonk your $10,000 down and wait a few months!!

Someone asked a while back on Steve's Digicam website if anything over 8Mp's is really worth the extra expense, "only if you want to produce poster sized prints was the concensus of opinion by many of the Pro Photographers.

It appears a few years ago the camera companies dug themselves a huge hole they now cannot climb out of with fancy advertising.

Most of the pros on that site use from 10 to 14Mps....It comes back to the several thousand bucks Hassalblad V the Kodak box camera pre digital days In a none pros hands, they both produce mediocre images, in a pros hands both can produce excellent photos.

I wonder if the new Kodak has a full "35mm" sensor????

I haven't kept up with the sensor technology, but one of the big drawbacks to more and more resolution was processing time and, of course, storage. At 15Mp you can print poster size without seeing distinct pixelation which was probably why the claim was that higher was not needed. But with more pixels, it is possible to crop more without losing image quality!

Amazing stuff!

Processing time is due mostly to memory speeds, there's newer faster memory cards available...At a price... Another factor is how large a file is being downloaded to memory, then it comes down to processing and memory speed together. But for "Fine" or below, it's about memory card speeds.

I believe Hasselblad top of the range at $27,000 has a "35mm" sensor.... But at that price I don't think I'll be able to budget for one in the near future...

There's still debates on whether a CMOS is better than CCD's

• 3 weeks later...

I did it, I cleaned my ccd sensor bit scary but its now pretty clean.

I went to a airshow & the wind was very high & as a guess i think the bayonet mount on the Nikon dosn't seal very good & within a few shots some spots appeared on the pics

but you cant see them until you view them on the computer

I bought a blower but that made it even worse.I mean really worse, To be honest i thought i would be buying a new camera sooner than i expected.

OK so down to the real way to do it , Go buy a silicone spatula & cut it down to about a little smaller than the CCD & cut the end square then take a lens cleaning wipe & double fold it & place over the end of the spat then fold the sides back at a angle & secure with a rubber band then lock up the mirror & wipe the sensor from left to right only one stroke

Then repositon the wipe to a different area on the wipe & repeat the left to right stroke remember only once dont scrub as you might scratch the surface

I had to do this 4 times before the sensor was clean enough or as near as dammit, Each time it got a little better

The way i checked was to take a picture of a white wall with the shutter set at 6 secs & keeping the camera moving in a circle while the shutter was open

As i said it was a little scary but its not a $2000 camera + there are no camera shops local , The one i did call in San Francisco wanted $80 + gas + ripoff parking + I always get lost even with Sat-nav.

Anyway even wifey said Holy cow batman you did it

Spatula $1.99 2 pack gave the other one to the wife

Lens cleaning wipes 200 pack $6

Blower $11 waste of money i learned a lesson dont blow inside a digital camera

Laggy band stole one of the dogs hair band

From what I gather, it's the filter that's easily damaged. Doesn't your's have the auto clean system??? I have the D5K and it auto cleans on power up and down, plus I can set it to a clean cycle.

They still don't clean the sensors as they say they should John. Both my cameras have them , but before each 'season' starts I have my cleaning kit out and open them up for a bit of TLC. Which reminds me , my best camera has Banana smeard on the back (Don't ask!) which is going to take some getting off!

From what I gather, it's the filter that's easily damaged. Doesn't your's have the auto clean system??? I have the D5K and it auto cleans on power up and down, plus I can set it to a clean cycle.

No my camera is a older one but i think the shaker thing dosnt stop mould from humidity growing on the sensor or sticky tar from ciggies, Sooner or later you will be cleaning it or having someone do it

I think my prob was jet fuel in the air combined with dust blown up with the high wind

If you see a speck its prob dust if its a rounder darker area its oil/mould or some other sticky substance

Just do a test shot like i did & you will see if your cleaner system works.

My cousin said his pics were loosing color over time cleaned his sensor color back to normal,Most of his pic are taken in smokey nightclubs

• 2 years later...

I did it, I cleaned my ccd sensor bit scary but its now pretty clean.

I went to a airshow & the wind was very high & as a guess i think the bayonet mount on the Nikon dosn't seal very good & within a few shots some spots appeared on the pics

but you cant see them until you view them on the computer

I bought a blower but that made it even worse.I mean really worse, To be honest i thought i would be buying a new camera sooner than i expected.

OK so down to the real way to do it , Go buy a silicone spatula & cut it down to about a little smaller than the CCD & cut the end square then take a lens cleaning wipe & double fold it & place over the end of the spat then fold the sides back at a angle & secure with a rubber band then lock up the mirror & wipe the sensor from left to right only one stroke

Then repositon the wipe to a different area on the wipe & repeat the left to right stroke remember only once dont scrub as you might scratch the surface

I had to do this 4 times before the sensor was clean enough or as near as dammit, Each time it got a little better

The way i checked was to take a picture of a white wall with the shutter set at 6 secs & keeping the camera moving in a circle while the shutter was open

As i said it was a little scary but its not a $2000 camera + there are no camera shops local , The one i did call in San Francisco wanted $80 + gas + ripoff parking + I always get lost even with Sat-nav.

Anyway even wifey said Holy cow batman you did it

Spatula $1.99 2 pack gave the other one to the wife

Lens cleaning wipes 200 pack $6

Blower $11 waste of money i learned a lesson dont blow inside a digital camera

Laggy band stole one of the dogs hair band

Hi - Just read your method of sensor cleaning with interest. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and as my camera was nearing the time for replacement I simply did not want to spend money on having it professionally cleaned.

Having chatted to a knowledgeable employee at a reputable camera repair shop I decided to do the job myself. His words were on the lines of " Go and get yourself some Swan - or similar - lighter fluid and using a lint free swab impregnated with the fluid, gently clean the sensor. Actually the front cover to the sensor (forget its technical description)." He was adamant that it was all that their professional cleaners used (highly refined petrol, in effect) . It worked very well for me and has saved a lot of money too. Hope this helps someone else too.

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...