• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Digging around I came across the Evening Post which I'd saved from the day of the moon landing (the edition is dated Monday July 21st 1969) So here's a few examples of life back then

I recall July 21st 1969 very well, my first (official) day at work. First job was to replace a bypass hose on a Mini.

1969, first holiday to the Med, this sums it up:

I'd not long been married then, was working for J.Jones Rewinds at their Daleside Road works.

I was peering through the CO Op window in Gedling !!

But Jeys , I feel old looking at that.

I know my mum saved all the papers too , I'm going to have a good scout round next time I'me over there !!

Thanks for starting this one Cliff.

Didn't they actually land on the 20th? or was that usa time? am reminded of such every year as it's wife's birthday (21st) Might be me but as regards prices those cars seem expensive in relation to wages? then again they are dealers prices,

It was exam time at school (mock A-levels) - I remember sneaking out and going to Gilbert's TV showroom in Long Eaton to watch the moon walk on colour TV!

No, it was by the "new" market place, across the market entrance from the Blue Bell. They also had a store on the opposite side of High Street where the TV showroom was upstairs.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the situations vacant page & it reminder me of where my dad worked Richard Simon after York refrigiration closed

Wow looking at those wages told me my job really sucked, A 5 year apprenteship & i was still on 7 pound 2/6 & that was with a City & Guilds pass with credit

• 8 months later...

:)

Just remembered how we used to be be able to get a (slightly fuzzy) viewing of the Anglia or Yorkshire TV channels depending which way your aerial was facing.

Don't forget Skippy at 4.55pm on ITA with his weekly excursion to raise the alarm at a disused mineshaft with people stuck down it.

I bought a copy of every newspaper when we landed on the moon...Rolled 'em up in brown paper and taped it up for future grandkids.

Hid it in the attic away from my Mother who had a mania for chucking things out.Some years later it was 'discovered' by a plumber who handed it to Mother...that was the end of them...straight in the bin.

We had about a thousand old family photos going back to Victorian days....she chucked the lot out..I could have cheerfully strangled her.No thought for future generations.

I have a mother exactly the same , she's thrown thousands , and I do mean thousands, of pounds worth of old records away. Along with photos, autographed ticket stubbs from loads of concerts I went to in the 70s early 80s, autographed Beatles posters and old electrical stuff (all my old CB radios and gear) Although she did still have the newspapers from the day of the moon landing last time I asked !!!