still have the newspapers from the day of the moon landing

Bit of a surprise to see my old thread come back to life. The Evening Post I lifted it all from wasn't the only edition I kept. I also have a couple of Daily Expresses and a couple of Daily Telegraphs (from the two days after the event), and a Sunday People.

Like me, they've survived but are a bit faded and rougher around the edges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Digging around I came across the Evening Post which I'd saved from the day of the moon landing (the edition is dated Monday July 21st 1969) So here's a few examples of life back then

I recall July 21st 1969 very well, my first (official) day at work. First job was to replace a bypass hose on a Mini.

1969, first holiday to the Med, this sums it up:

• 9 months later...

Digging around I came across the Evening Post which I'd saved from the day of the moon landing (the edition is dated Monday July 21st 1969)

So here's a few examples of life back then

ents.jpg

Just noticed Ad for Union Stewards Gordon Road.

I used to go to that disco in 69 :)

Did anyone spot the Notts.CCC score? 1st inns 87 for 8 against Worcs. Worcs. 1st inns 253. I wonder who won that match <g>

Jackie Bond led the way. Then along came the big hitters like Sobers, Hadlee and Rice. I was a member at Trent bridge during those wonderful days of transition from mediocre to top of the shots :)

What year was the newspaper strike, the one in the late 50's, and did anyone save those two page or so papers the NEP and the other paper printed to keep us appraised of things???

Jackie Bond led the way. Then along came the big hitters like Sobers, Hadlee and Rice. I was a member at Trent bridge during those wonderful days of transition from mediocre to top of the shots :)

Jackie Bond was captain for just one year in 1974 after a successful career with Lancashire - Sobers last season at Notts. Remember the the time well as I left school to work there that year. A year later Rice came to shake the club by the scruff of the neck and things were never the same again! Great days!

• 1 month later...

Oh wow! Those newspaper cuttings are so interesting to me. But first of all, I watched the moon landing at The Elm Tree, Hoveringham with a crowd of friends. Never realised until recently that it was middle of the night ...... We must have had a lock-in!!

Anyway, the Clerk/Typist vacancy at Thorn Bendix was MY job! I'd had that job for 2 years and was given a promotion, not sure why they wanted somebody a lot older than me in the position though! On to the cricket score cards ....... I went out with 2 of the cricketers a couple of years later. I can't believe that clicking on this link could bring back so many memories, thanks.

• Upvote 1
the Clerk/Typist vacancy at Thorn Bendix was MY job! I'd had that job for 2 years and was given a promotion, not sure why they wanted somebody a lot older than me in the position though!

£12 a week in those days was pretty good money. I hope you didn't spend it all at once.

It was me who originally started this thread over 18 months ago, and it's always nice to see it come back to life after a rest, especially when it brings back so many memories to someone.

I started there in that position on £6 8s 6d and got a 10 bob pay rise within weeks, that was in 1967. After giving my mum board I spent the rest on going out clubbing and clothes, as all teenagers did then (and now!) Mind you, I did manage two holidays in Majorca that summer of '69. Looking back I did quite a lot on £12 a week, lol.

That's fab - may I pinch the image with the Berni Inn mention on it, and add it to the retronaut capsule? Will credit you if you tell me how you'd like to be known?

• 2 months later...

BUMP

From the Evening Post of January 1966 , note Charlie and Inez Foxx and Lee Dorsey at the Dungeon .

The Who at the Brittania Rowing Club and even Tommy Cooper at the Parkside Club .

8600664459_3f73721ba5_z.jpg

8601763658_beaaa3fe07_z.jpg

I never ever saw The Who live, but as mentioned on another thread, I did get their autographs outside the George Hotel one Sunday afternoon. I do remember seeing Charlie and Inez Foxx at the Dungeon though. I frequented the Parkside Club around 1969 to 71 with friends who had a lot more money than I had! Had good times there but a lasting memory is the ladies loos which seemed to me like padded cells, all quilted silk and very odd! I heard that a few years ago that 'Miss Kathy' who was in charge of the 'hostesses' in the Parkside had a big funeral through the middle of town with the horse drawn hearse and all the trimmings.

my sister worked at thornes in 60s too ill ask her if she knew izabel too.

Wish I had a time machine !

A 1950 Bentley for £295 or a 1962 3.4 Jag for £695 . Then theres an Austin A40 Somerset for £45

Or a 3 bed detached house in Wollaton with conservatory for £3495 .

8601922765_ebb2d2834d_b.jpg

• Upvote 1