my sister worked at thornes in 60s too ill ask her if she knew izabel too.

Babs, what's your sister's name? I may remember her but there were over 200 employees and it's a long time ago

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Digging around I came across the Evening Post which I'd saved from the day of the moon landing (the edition is dated Monday July 21st 1969) So here's a few examples of life back then

I recall July 21st 1969 very well, my first (official) day at work. First job was to replace a bypass hose on a Mini.

1969, first holiday to the Med, this sums it up:

lizzie my sister name was jean wilson if you knew her you would remember her because she is very small about 4ft 6 inchand quite petite too, she lived in ntherfield at the timehad 3 daughters.

Can't say I recall her Babs, I worked in the engineering dept offices for the Chief Engineer and the Development Engineers, and then for the Personnel Manager, before they called it the HR Dept !!

DAVIDW, re your post #50;

There is also a 1953 R-type Bentley for sale (1st motor car column-3rd from the bottom) and the address seems quite strange....No 1 Council House, Owthorpe, Radcliffe on Trent.

Google will refer you back to the Council House in Slab Square each time unless you put in just Owthorpe, Rushcliffe District and that will give you open fields in Owthorpe.

Searches of various sites have no mention of Owthorpe having a council house and one even states that Owthorpe was that small that it as not classified as a Parish.

Unless some landed gentry or rich farmer (??) lived in Owthorpe and called his residence the Council House?

Is it a 1966 version of 'spot the fake ad"?

Just what was No 1 Council House in Owthorpe??????????

Hi Trevor , yes I did read that advert for the Bentley and thought at first the local council were selling some of their fleet !

Never visited but I know of Owthorpe because some of my wifes ancestors came from there (and Hickling) in the early 1800s .

They had the delightful surname of Dickman .

At first on Genesreunited there was just us and and a lady in Canada with a connection to the name but now there are dozens and dozens connected . If we have a "hot match" on Genes for that name I don't bother anymore as everyone just seems to have "nicked" the Canadian ladies research ! .

It was certainly a parish in 1853

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/Owthorpe/White1853.html

Up to the 1930s there were never more than 150 inhabitants .

The only thing I can think is that maybe there were a new lot of Council Houses built in the 1960s and they didn't have a street name adopted at the time of the Bentley advert ?

But I'll buy a 1953 Bentley R type for £255 !!!!.....wheres me cheque-book ?

It will probably cost £255 to fill it up with juice these days.

True ! I would probably just polish it then . Theres one for sale for 30 grand on one site , same year .

This is a 53 Bentley R

8063807417_a6b70799b7_z.jpg

I was offered one of those in Grey by Johnny Knowles at Epperstone By Pass Garage around the same time...£250

Around the same time I called in Moons Garage in Daybrook...they had a 'Bishops Rolls Royce' on the forecourt.Brown stained windows, the windscreen with a crack across it.

"How much for the Roller?"

"£120"

"But it's got a cracked screen!"

"Yeah...but it is a Rolls Royce!"

It was the smallest Rolls you ever saw...called a Bishops Rolls 'cos the religious brigade didn't want to look too flash being men of the cloth :dry:

The huge radiator was far too large for the size of the motor.

These were the days before Collectors cars became the in thing...Same with a Lagonda I was offered at Westdale Service Station for £200 God knows what year but a huge machine with running boards.Salesman said it would go round the bend bottom of Breck hill at 50mph with the incredible road holding.

OH FOR A TIME MACHINE!

Just had a gawp on Streetview at Owthorpe and its a lot smaller than I thought .

Its actually at the end of a cul-de-sac . The church is difficult to find and appears to be down a grassy track .

As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be much in the way of newish houses that could have been Council houses in the 60s apart from maybe the two on the right of this picture .

8606453753_17bd823332.jpg

These? http://goo.gl/maps/1clhb

Not quite yer average council house setting is it?

No and proves a Park Lane address is not to be sniffed at ! When I was searching didn't go that far down the lane on streetview .

If you swing the image round , its a good shot of the church across the fields too and one day I when I'm in the area , need to go and look at some grave-stones there for my wifes ancestors .

I should have searched on streetview a bit more......... :blush:

But tell me, who would be living in a council house in 1966 and selling a Bentley?

"Cor Guvnor, shovelling sh*t, digging ditches and feeding t'pigs earns me a fair bit of dosh and what with welfare payments for the 12 kids; missus and me are off to the Costa Brava this Summer. Innit nice of Harold and his Government to give us a house for nearly nowt? Lets me buy a nice flash motor to get to work - nice and warm on these nippy mornings. "

One of half brothers in Nottm had a used Bentley T Series for a short time in the 80s.My mum just Looking it o2-17-2012_008.jpgver.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/23/2012 at 10:54 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

What year was the newspaper strike, the one in the late 50's, and did anyone save those two page or so papers the NEP and the other paper printed to keep us appraised of things???

I remember the newspaper strike in the 1950s. It was in the summer during the school holiday. It was wonderful. When dad was not on the picket line he took me out to the park. We had great times! I think it was 1955 or 1956. I had started at school and it was before my grandfather had his heart attack. 

The wifes cousin John Parkin batted opposite Gary Sobers when he hit six sixes i think it was against Glamorgan he lives in Kimberley and played for Kimberley Institute Cricket Club in the 60s before playing for Notts.He still takes care of the cricket field today at 76 years old. He is mentioned in the book Six Of The Best, he is also president of KICC.

• Like 1

Sobers did indeed hit his 6 sixes against Glamorgan, the bowler was Malcolm Nash and an ex boyfriend of mine, Roger Davis, dropped the 5th strike as it went over the boundary.  

As I recall, Gary Sobers got married at the Registry Office on Highbury Vale, somewhere near the bottom of Kersall Drive?

• 2 weeks later...