The Caves - Question

I am fairly certain that I once saw (Pathe?) newsreel footage article on families still living in some of the Nottingham caves during the early nineteen fifties, but I can't seem to find any other recorded evidence.

Can anyone help me? Were there families, officially or otherwise living in the caves in the fifties, and if so, when were the last families evicted/moved/re-housed?

thanks

chris

Welcome Chris

I have a feeling the most recent Cave Dwellers were possibly on Sneinton Hermitage?

However there are those here more knowledgable than me?

Now I've just read that link, but I'm pretty sure I heard that it was the early 30s that the last cave homes were vacated, regardless of the road widening mentioned , as I'm pretty sure the last ones are still there (Near where the Plum tree arms pub was)

I remember my mam telling me that her older sister lived in a house that was part cave - the rear of the house was dug into the rock. This would have been in the early thirties but I thought it was 'Narrow Marsh'. But I could have got that last bit wrong.

(Why don`t we listen when they`re alive telling us things?)

I remember my mam telling me that her older sister lived in a house that was part cave - the rear of the house was dug into the rock. This would have been in the early thirties but I thought it was 'Narrow Marsh'. But I could have got that last bit wrong.

(Why don`t we listen when they`re alive telling us things?)

You could be right about your mam living in Narrow Marsh having houses with caves, because when they were demolished in the 1930s the remains looked like THIS

Yes I think Long Stairs is still there.

Quite a few of those old names like Short Stairs, Malin Hill, Short Hill have been preserved in that area, but they are hidden amongst the developments of apartments. Often they are just pathways and cut-throughs between the new buildings. Don't know if they are actually in the same place as the originals