Victoria Centre Iron footbridge

The replies in the Victoria Centre Development thread reminded me of the iron footbridge over the Victoria Station, that lead from Huntingdon Street to the city side near Shakespeare Street.

This photograph was taken from it.

B-82-34.jpg

I never crossed it when the station was operational. I remember it being panelled with plywood and there was no view of the construction in progress? Now would that be around 1968/9?

It seemed to me at the time to go on for a long distance, and always felt like there was little support?

When was it eventually closed demolished, and are there any images of its entrances on both sides?

Any info on this bridge would be interesting.

We used to go over this footbridge to get to Huntingdon Street bus station for our bus home from school.This would be late 1950s.

I`d quite forgotten about it but now I can see it clearly in my mind`s eye!

Thanks for the memory! (Good song title, that!)

Was this the bridge which went from the bottom of Mansfield Road (next to the pub currently called Bensons) through to Glasshouse Street ?

I remember it as a kid because when you stood on the bridge and a train went under, you were surround by the smoke/steam from the engine

This photo shows the remains of it when Vic station was being demolished

vicbridge.jpg

weren't there in fact 2 bridges? one a road bridge which joined Mansfield Road/York Street with Huntingdon Street opp Union Road? and another a footbridge through the station to Glasshouse Street which I recall was some lattice thing but had wooden boarding up the sides which much to my annoyment prevented any view of the trains below, I think this bridge was there to continue a right of way in the form of one of the streets demolished, maybe part of St Annes Street? when the station was built, such Right of Way still continues with the 24/7 passage through Victoria Centre at side of the clock tower to Glasshouse Street. This was in addition to the access bridge actually within the station with steps down to each platform. VC.jpg

weren't there in fact 2 bridges? one a road bridge which joined Mansfield Road/York Street with Huntingdon Street opp Union Road? and another a footbridge through the station to Glasshouse Street platform.

You're right, and thinking about it I reckon there were, in a way, three bridges over the lines.

The road bridge which was Union Road; I don't really know it because it wasn't our area.

Then there was the footbridge to Glasshouse Street which started off this topic, shown on the two photos posted; seems that had filled-in sides so you couldn't see the trains. (on this map below it's marked as "Public footway")

And also, there was the bridge which must be the one I remember, where you could be surrounded by steam - that was the internal station footbridge for getting across the various platforms if you were actually going on a train

This shows a bit more........

vicstation.jpg

So the entrance to the city side of the footbridge is land hand side of the clock tower?

Is this open all night at present?

if I remember right you used to be able to pass through broad marsh centre near the coop towards the midland station at night?

Public right of way?

So the entrance to the city side of the footbridge is land hand side of the clock tower?

Eh ?

Do you mean left hand side ??...................LOL

...Then there was the footbridge to Glasshouse Street which started off this topic, shown on the two photos posted; seems that had filled-in sides so you couldn't see the trains. (on this map below it's marked as "Public footway")...

Sort of...

Certainly the construction at both the Mansfield Road and Glasshouse Street ends of the 'Public Footway' were filled-in sections but, the central third (which passed directly above the platforms) was built of latticed iron - which accounted for being surrounded in loco exhaust and gave a view of the station which was, perhaps, 30 or 40 feet directly below.

Cheers

Robt P.

Extract from an item that I wrote, some years ago, in http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.willis/history/memories.html

"My first encounters with Nottingham ‘Vic’ came as a child in the late 1940’s, when family visits to relatives took us onto the footbridge, which ran from Glasshouse St to Milton St.[sic!] This elevated walkway was sited immediately over the cavernous station beneath, and the sounds and smoke, which rose up, formed powerful (if somewhat intimidating) impressions of the goings-on beneath. Certainly a precursor to my fascination with the station, which remained through until it’s eventual lamented closure some 20 years on..."

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes theres still 24 hour access through victoria centre from the clock tower to glasshouse st. opposite The White Hart, at night grills come down to shut off access to any of the shops but still allowing access through and also to one set of lifts, 2 serving the flats, one the car parking, no idea now of times grills are lowered.

I remember the footbridge, several of us were caught fighting on it by one of our teachers after school. He wasn't too happy with us all. We were lucky we didn't get the cane the following day.

I don't recollect Union Road crossing the station, I can remember the bridge at the north end next to the tunnel. Was the Union Road crossing demolished???? If so when?? All my memories of Union Road, were it terminated at Huntingdon Street with wasteland used as a car park opposite. That's mid to late 1950's BTW.

I don't recollect Union Road crossing the station, I can remember the bridge at the north end next to the tunnel. Was the Union Road crossing demolished???? If so when?? All my memories of Union Road, were it terminated at Huntingdon Street with wasteland used as a car park opposite. That's mid to late 1950's BTW.

The Old Maps site has the Union Road bridge still there in 1969 according to their dating. I'd be surprised if that's correct

I remember the wasteland car park

huntingdon.jpg

• 6 months later...

As far as I know the Union Road bridge was in place until the station was demolished, it is shown on various videos of the last few specials just before closure of the GC as a through route, so would suspect it was removed on demolition.

The route through the Vic Centre is, I believe, a right of way, and is open all year. The Broad Marsh one, I don't think is a right of way and closes on Christmas day, to prevent it becoming a right of way.

Interesting to note the different street names and routes, also the site of the north turntable could clearly be seen any frosty morning from the vic centre flats before the hole vanished under lastest development, the frost forming far heavier on the distinct "O" despite it being buried and invisible normally