Forest Mills, Radford Baths & Washhouse, Nottingham

That Austin truck is a 60s collectors piece now.It had a 'step in easy cab' where the doors were angled backwards...when the delivery driver opened his door it just stuck out from the bodywork 2 inches...a good safety feature for regular stop/start vehicles.

I must have driven one of the first in Nottingham for Crawfords Biscuits...it's livery was red and white stripes over the whole body...boy! did that stand out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few days ago I went past the site, and here's a few photos which update those of taxiray a few months ago Radford Baths as they are now A bit further down the road Top end of Highurst Stree

Here are a couple of shots taken inside Radford Baths in, I think, 1976

Bit of an update from when I went past the area a few days ago Radford Baths are gradually disappearing Forest Mill used to be here Junction of Alfreton Road/Boden Street Highurst Court pr

Posted Images

I like the 'up-skirt' window in the lower part of the cab.

vampire2

The trucks were nicknamed "The Threppeny bit" due to their shape , all lumps and bumps all over the place !!

Was that the type of cab that was The DJs Box in 'The Mill' bottom of Hockley?

A Davenports truck if I remember right?

That's the one Mick. I had the pleasure to spin a few platters on the 'wheels of steel' (Yes indeedy doo!) in there on a few occations when my mate was double booked.

They used to pay well too. IMMSC it was a hundred and fifty quid for the Friday/Saturday night , which was quite a few bob back in the late 80's (More than I was getting driving a lorry for 48 hours a week !)

Those were the days Ian.

Remember the lasers that used to draw shapes on the walls and ceilings?

How could a pub like that ever close down?

I remember The Mill, as well as Browns Wine Bar, as being the two businesses that really initiated the kicking of Hockley and the Lace Market back to life in the early eighties. I used to wander over Hockley to see the newly-reformed Nottingham Panthers from 1989 and the area seemed quite dead as far as night life was concerned. I also worked on Plumptre St in the Lace Market at that time. Suddenly people were walking over from pubs which were 'on the route' in the centre of town, over that way.

The last time i was in "The Mill" was June 5th 1999 on my 'Stag night' It had become 'Gay Bar' . So that could explain it's demise !!

We did all the pubs down Hockley that night , Browns, The Nelson, (Complete with it's famous well) and of corse The George Hotel, I was rather tiddly by home time !!

• 3 months later...

A few days ago I went past the site, and here's a few photos which update those of taxiray a few months ago

baths1_zpsc7b859d0.jpg

Radford Baths as they are now

baths2_zps3bacdc70.jpg

A bit further down the road

mill2_zpsd16825af.jpg

Top end of Highurst Street with the ugly office block and Forest Mill

mill3_zps111c6b4c.jpg

Forest Mill, a bit further down Highurst Street

mill4_zpse2fe0b30.jpg

Further down, and looking inside the old Forest Mill

mill1_zps52c86c01.jpg

Round the other side looking in to Forest Mill. from Thackery Street/Boden Street

flats_zpsfb79db64.jpg

Looking like avant-garde art, one of the small tower blocks off Highurst Street about to be demolished

• Upvote 1

I hope I find out before Radford Mill disappears...There was an old beam engine in there that powered the whole mill....wonder if it still is?

The clatter of the belts running the machines must have made a helluva racket in their heyday.

Generations of Nottingham folks working in there since 1850...they must have looked forward to their holiday week each year.

2331ec75_zps6839f8cf.jpg

1b6209c6_zps5ce135fc.jpg

Poohbear's Streetview image in #41 has a few memories for me. It's Garden Street, Radford, and moving a bit further along, as in this view.......

street2_zps182371d0.jpg

...the inset area where the cars are parked used to contain a row of terraced houses. I had two elderly aunts lived in one, and I just about remember visiting the place, and being aware of how their house seemed to be surrounded by factories. Even by Victorian standards, the industrial parts were close to the domestic parts

The modern part of The mill, Jersey Kapwood, had a car lift/carpark in it, like an elongated big wheel.

I have this in my mind as it was being built? I lived opposite above Dewhurst's butchers around 1964?

Or did I dream it

• 4 weeks later...

Poohbear's Streetview image in #41 has a few memories for me. It's Garden Street, Radford, and moving a bit further along, as in this view.......

street2_zps182371d0.jpg

...the inset area where the cars are parked used to contain a row of terraced houses. I had two elderly aunts lived in one, and I just about remember visiting the place, and being aware of how their house seemed to be surrounded by factories. Even by Victorian standards, the industrial parts were close to the domestic parts

Our house on Bloomsgrove st used to back on to the terraced houses on Garden st, I remember you could see part of them through the scullery window. Its all a far cry from the cobbled st with its gas lamposts that I roamed as a child

I worked in Radford mill for J.B Armstrong and co, from 1972 to 1976, as a cutter on the 3rd floor, it was a good place to work and full of places to hide if you wanted to skive off for a few minutes

We finished work at 5pm, but I had to catch my bus in Broadmarsh at 5:22pm I used to run like a mad man to Alfreton road and catch a bus to the city, outside Gagg & Sons then I walked very quickley to Broadmarsh to get my bus to Langar.

The bus fares were 2p for the NCT bus and 18p to Langar . How far whould you get for that today , or has any one got an Idea what you would pay today ?..............

logo_broadmarsh_new.png