Disappearing Petrol Stations

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

Came across this photo I'd never seen before. Abbey Street, Dunkirk, opposite the Johnson Arms. Couple of pumps which swing out over the pavement; H & S would have a heart attack now.

It was still a petrol station until a few years ago, but it's now a car wash - like all the others.

dunkirk.jpg

Was there a garage round there known as Triangle Garage?

I've learned something new today........seems to be the same place in an earlier time.

triangle.jpg

According to Pic the Past the photo above is dated around 1973. The earlier photo is dated around 1950, but it's obviously the same place.

• 1 month later...

I can see "Shell" pumps there in my minds eye, but not 100% sure

Can't remember a garage there but church in background was used by a piano company, Clements?

Yep, the church was Clement pianos, but it has now been demolished. If you look back at my original Streetview picture, the modern building on the left of the picture (student apartments) is where the church was.

I can recall a car sales & garage, but not fuel pumps.

Daykins Garage

Never seen that photo before. I guess Daykins Garage is the building which has survived HERE as the Top Floor Carpet place

I used to visit a vehicle electrical factor underneath the arches in Abbey Bridge - PCP Electricat (Pollard-Cooper-Pollard)

The forecort in question was always full of vehicles. I cannot recall a petrol station. Maybe there was a fuel pump or two against the garage.

In the 70's it was a small supermarket. I think it was called Liptons.

Closed about 1983, due to continual break-ins, used to service the burglar alarm when it was Liptons. Same routine every time, smash the large window, in, grab a load of ciggies and away, all in less than two minutes. Heppened almost every week, some times daily, even twice the same night sometimes!!

Cost them loads more in repairs than they lost, but obviously unsustainable. Council wouldn't let them fit roller shutters so they cut their losses and shut it down.

• Upvote 1

Hello All... I'm a newbie here so please excuse me if some of these 'random memory' moments have been covered elsewhere....

I worked at the old Sytner place on Mapperley Plains in the late 1970s, when it was called ' Plains Motor Company' ran by a fellow named Trevor Perkins, I was the apprentice, the 2 mechanics were Ray and Kev , many a long lunchbreak was spent at the Tree Tops pub with these guys... I can't remember the sales managers name but he was a posh bloke ( well... he talked posh ).

The girls on the petrol pumps were Eileen and Jaquie, not forgetting old Les the old chap who used to wash the cars, run around fetching parts nand generally help where needed... I remember one day frightening the life out of Les, who had roadtested a Austin 1300 and had had the misfortune of someone ( who shall remain nameless ) not tightening the wheelnuts up... when he came back he was as white as a ghost, oh how I chuckled .

Petrol was offered at the time for 70p a gallon... we sold a lot, although I remember having to dip the tanks and there was an awful lot of water in them...Hmmmm.

Later in the 1970s, I worked for a bodyshop in Netherfield, Manor Coachworks I think but I only stayed a few weeks.

Hello All... I'm a newbie here so please excuse me if some of these 'random memory' moments have been covered elsewhere....

I worked at the old Sytner place on Mapperley Plains in the late 1970s, when it was called ' Plains Motor Company' ran by a fellow named Trevor Perkins,

Hello Ged Ling

I remember the Plains Motor Company, but weren't they along Mapperley Top near the Tree Tops (like you mentioned)? My memories of the old Sytner place are that it was on the site near the Plainsman pub (or whatever it may be called now). Unless I'm getting my garages mixed up

Before your time, Trevor Perkins was involved in a car business called Dean and Perkins (with a Mr Dean, can't remember the first name) and they were on the site at the top of Woodborough Road which is now occupied by Nottingham Autopark.

• 1 month later...

My father used to get petrol at a garage alongside the 44 trolly terminus at Bulwell Hall Estate, I think it was called Bell's. Is anything there now?

Its about 100 yards away (just after The Swinger Pub.) Its still a garage but just one that repairs cars. it still has the semi circle drive that the trolley buses used to turn on

Its about 100 yards away (just after The Swinger Pub.) Its still a garage but just one that repairs cars. it still has the semi circle drive that the trolley buses used to turn on

Thanks for the info, I found it on Google Maps, I left Bulwell in 1972, there have been so many changes, roads that I never drove on, trams I have never seen. Yet remembered as a child and young adult. So many memories on this forum I am glad I found it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one?

bulwell-2.jpg

An image I've borrowed from www.trolleybus.net which has a few more Nottingham trolley photos

That's where my Dad got his petrol, I remember it was "Regent" run by a Mr Bell.

The L plate trolley, is war time utility one 4wheels the 44 opposite is a 1951/51 6 wheeler, There was 102 of those KTV 500 to KTV 601 the first 25 were 8 foot wide the rest 7'6" wide. The wide ones had the area between the back wheels painted black the rest were green. The wide ones were usually on the 38/39 to Carlton. I cannot recall seeing them in Bulwell. The 4 Wheel trolleys were usually on the 40/47 Wilford Road routes.

The City boundary was here and just beyond was where the railway line crossed to go to Hucknall No.1 Colliery on the Watnall Road. It was disused when I knew it.

Yes Billy Bell was the owner, Mr Noy and Brian Noy who lived a couple of doors from us were related and also worked there. I bought a new car there it was an Hillman Minx automatic. ( Around £800 ) It was 1967 the year Foinaven won the national at 100-1 A good year for me as I owned a Betting Shop then in the old Commodore Building and had what was known as " A Clear Book "

Re Foinavon, watched the race at a girl's house, (it was Val's, Tappet) had been taking the mick before the race as she had put a £1 on it to win! watched in amazement as she won £101, quite a lot in 1967,

Re the no.1 Pit Crossing, did it have gates etc? had always assumed until recently the line went up that path opposite the swinger and under the later arch below the GCR,