Disappearing Petrol Stations

I don't think there were any gates that closed over the main road, it was quite wide and in those days not very busy (see the photo)the tracks had gates. A diagram I have seen confirms that it went under the GCR where there was a connection. It also connected to both the MR & GNR near Bestwood. The track was lifted about 1951 but I think the rails in the road were there a while after that.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

I owned a Betting Shop then in the old Commodore Building

In the early 90s there was a Travel agent Commair Travel

The quite elderly lady owner not so much sold you a holiday as pressed ganged you into one!

Booked one of our first Florida trips through her, Dunno how long she had been there?

• 2 months later...

Was there a Bristol Street Motors around there at one time. Think they sold Citroen and the odd Mararati. Maybe that was slightly down a bit towards the city at where Lidl now is? Not sure.

Yes, I think you're right. There was a Bristol Street who were a bit further down; I think they were on the city side of the New Inn (so probably where Lidl are now), I haven't been along that road for a while

Talking of Mansfield Rd any one recall the the petrol station on the right going towards Arnold just after Woodthorpe Drive?

I can remember that one, I reckon it was still operating for petrol until the mid 90s.

In its slightly earlier days wasn't it a branch of the Datsun/Nissan dealers who had another place on Woodborough Rd near the top of Ransome Rd

• Upvote 1

re Mararati, wasn't a rich Indian gentleman who rode on an elephant was it? or a character in The Goon Show? Back on topic Mapperley Top had a good few garages/filling stations, nearly as many as Castle Boulevard, don't think either has one selling petrol now? two I recall on the former were were one ("newish" in the 1960's) that stood next to new flats virtually opposite Bennett St, (bought a running, on the road Triumph Sprung Hub Thunderbird for £5 off guy who worked there) and the other at corner of Ransom Road., There was (so I'm told) another that sold petrol where AFD car sales is now, but can't recall pumps, seem to remember Ristes on Forest Road also had petrol pumps?

• 2 weeks later...

Was apprenticed to a small family run garage at the bottom of Sneinton road (Claringburn and Codd) in the late 60's early 70's that used to have the boom type petrol/diesel pipes that swung over the footpath to reach the road side, upstairs to the garage apart from the office was a spares room that had all sorts of rare and wonderful bits in it such as old sized tyres (1910 dated), wooden motor car wheels, old fashioned carriage/car lamps with wicks and some very old ledger books full of info dating back to the early 1900's when the place sold and repaired motor cycles and cycles, wish I had kept some of that stuff

Rog

Yes, if we knew then what we know now! that sprung hub T/bird was typical, on ebay today a rear mudguard for one is £250, a tool box £125!

Back on topic (or sort of) there was a garage on Radford Rd (next to Stevenson on corner opposite The Old General) They had at least one pump just inside the garage and filled cars on the road via a pipe, though not in use,

Also recall an old American 4 cylinder (in line) motorbike in the back of the workshop there, originally told it was an Ace make, later a Henderson? sorry to be vague but 40+ years ago! A similar garage still exists (I think) on Victoria Rd Sherwood though not sure if they had pumps

as I said a long time ago but seem to recall it was one of those "long square tank types" shown on wiki, late 1920's? though not looking like the ones on there, very rusty with read lead paint on most of it, going back to petrol stations I never saw any of them but am told Radcliffe On Trent had 3 on it's main Street in 1960's, nowadays a 5 miles round trip to fill up!

going back to petrol stations I never saw any of them but am told Radcliffe On Trent had 3 on it's main Street in 1960's, nowadays a 5 miles round trip to fill up!

I didn't know the area at all back then, but Picture the Past has a couple of photos which seem to show some of them.

Look in the centre middle distance and I reckon you can see two pumps at the side of the road

http://www.pictureth...009597&prevUrl=

And this looks like a garage which is partly hidden by the black car

http://www.pictureth...009596&prevUrl=

It was American - from right here in Detroit!

http://en.wikipedia....rson_Motorcycle

I guess I should have checked the facts before trusting my memory. Sorry for doubting you Ashley and thanks for the info Limey.

Know, what was that in line four I saw at the Woodpecker?

• Upvote 1

re Radcliffe on Trent pics, Ist picture shows one of those garages, the "middle" one, now site of the chemists, 2nd one whilst looking like a garage is and far as I know always was a butchers shop. the other 2 were one on the corner of main street opposite present day Black Lion pub, now a gym, and I'm told the former Lamcote Bus Depot which stood on a bend on the right of the main street just before The Cliff (now called the Horse Chesnut) pub sold petrol to the public

re Radcliffe on Trent pics, the former Lamcote Bus Depot which stood on a bend on the right of the main street just before The Cliff (now called the Horse Chesnut) pub sold petrol to the public

I remember the Lamcote Bus place. I recall they were also Ford dealers. The site is now apartments, like everywhere else.

• 4 months later...

Was THIS place ever a petrol station? Junction of Lenton Boulevard/Sherwin Road

The layout looks like it used to be one, but if it was I don't remember it

Was it the old JET service station?

Think this has been covered earlier? or elsewhere? I don't recall it being petrol station but that just me, off topic but do recall what stood where that block of flats is on left, an old church but by time I saw it used by a church organ builder/repairer, seem to recall it was a corrugated iron affair, There was a modern type filling station in 1960's on corner of Lenton Blvd/Church Street, a mate worked evening shift there then, just him in charge of money, keys to the safe, used to lock up at night etc, he was still at school!