Disappearing Petrol Stations

Hello Ged Ling

I remember the Plains Motor Company, but weren't they along Mapperley Top near the Tree Tops (like you mentioned)? My memories of the old Sytner place are that it was on the site near the Plainsman pub (or whatever it may be called now). Unless I'm getting my garages mixed up

Before your time, Trevor Perkins was involved in a car business called Dean and Perkins (with a Mr Dean, can't remember the first name) and they were on the site at the top of Woodborough Road which is now occupied by Nottingham Autopark.

Nigel Dean...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

Bulwell Motor Company, Piccadilly Bulwell, now sadly gone. So has the Piccadilly Club to the left. Also had a petrol pump outside with an enormous hose to reach the road.

We finished a late shift on the buses & then into the club for a few beers !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.995201,-1.189128,3a,75y,294.86h,92.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKZfH5lNtXTCH4EczyvAlFw!2e0?hl=en

I remember when one of Teds sons,Ross I think came to get fuel from our garage on St Albans Road (after they`d stopped selling) in his recovery truck...they used to do all the accidents recoverys for the Police...Whilst leaving the pump on autofill,I took a look in the wrecked car on the back to see to my horror a foot,still in the shoe that had been missed by the police and ambulance service...we quickly called 999 and they came very quickly to go and try and reunite it with it footless owner..

• 2 months later...

I remember when one of Teds sons,Ross I think came to get fuel from our garage on St Albans Road (after they`d stopped selling) in his recovery truck...they used to do all the accidents recoverys for the Police...Whilst leaving the pump on autofill,I took a look in the wrecked car on the back to see to my horror a foot,still in the shoe that had been missed by the police and ambulance service...we quickly called 999 and they came very quickly to go and try and reunite it with it footless owner..

I remember when Ted Williams had Regency garage on Station Rd in Carlton -- we all took our bikes there for MOT -- he always looked after us.

Was apprenticed to a small family run garage at the bottom of Sneinton road (Claringburn and Codd) in the late 60's early 70's that used to have the boom type petrol/diesel pipes that swung over the footpath to reach the road side, upstairs to the garage apart from the office was a spares room that had all sorts of rare and wonderful bits in it such as old sized tyres (1910 dated), wooden motor car wheels, old fashioned carriage/car lamps with wicks and some very old ledger books full of info dating back to the early 1900's when the place sold and repaired motor cycles and cycles, wish I had kept some of that stuff

Rog

Plant fit 107874,Ok,I know we are supposed to be talking notts,but they have one of those petrol filling stations where the pipes swing over the footpath at wainfleet,on the way to Skegness ,first time I've seen one,I reckon it was still in use about 3years ago,
  • 1 year later...

For once, the trend is reversed. This site on Lenton Boulevard had been a car wash for many years, although it originally started life as a petrol station. Within the last few months it's stopped being a car wash and gone back to being a petrol station.

lenton%20blvd_zpsz0hedszq.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I ran "Tyreman Terry" Arkwright st for a few years (until it was demolished in the seventies ) and was at Broxtowe lane until its demise if anyone is interested I could give all info on this ?

• Like 1

Always interested in local history Eric, welcome to the site by the way,keep posting

Rog

On 04/04/2018 at 4:48 PM, eric said:

I ran "Tyreman Terry" Arkwright st for a few years (until it was demolished in the seventies ) and was at Broxtowe lane until its demise if anyone is interested I could give all info on this ?

Was this it ?  

VHF0kuB.jpg

Almost.

• Like 2

That,s the one Thanks

I have seen this photo before but not as far to the right capturing the "Tyreman" sign ! Thats my window display with 5 1/2j wheels  I put the duckhams oil sign out and thats my fiat 500 parked by the pumps (super regular and derv) amazing !  .

• Upvote 1

On rethinking it might have been 1971 I started...

Was his name " Wilf "or something like that ? I was chasing petrol accounts he had left behind and I think he liked the "New Bridge Inn" next door also ?