Disappearing Petrol Stations

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

I had got Glebe st mixed up with Orange st in a earlier posting of mine re "Globe Petrol" etc .

The Tyre place was "n t s" or Briggs Tyres  I had been told his son worked there before I now remember after all this time ....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bloke in Chequered Flag must have been out cleaning my nose marks off the winders every time I passed.  Beardalls VW, mentioned a while back was in that unit before of course.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone any photos of thegulf  later became Mobil station on westdale lane next to Doug Fearns builders merchants I ran it for a while in the 80s , open 24 hrs then I had to sneak up to woodborough road and read the rival garages pump readingsto getMobil price support

Ah,the old swing out over the pavement pump hoses, we had similar when I was apprentice at the bottom of Sneinton road,Shell 4 star = 5/10p gallon, Major 3 star = 5/1p gallon, Major 2 star = 4/11 1/2p gallon, 1968

Rog

• Like 1
On 8/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, denshaw said:

Swe, is that now Kings car sales? There was another petrol station on Westdale near Elmhurst ave.

kings it is ,Ihad some great times there and made lots of friends,Doug Fearn and the lads were brilliant neighbours ,pity you can,t turn the clock back

Anyone remember the garage/petrol staion along Castle blvd with the sign " marine diesel" or "Marine petrol" it ran alongside the canal,must have had some sort of frontage on the canal to serve the boats

Rog

68180.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgSammy Wards has many special memories for me...when i worked across the road...when out carousing...sometimes it was too late to go home..i often waddled to the portacabin at Island Street gates and kipped in the night watchmans chair..limping into Sams early doors Saturday morning for a coffee and a hot pie or sandwich. Gave Albert Sprideon a heart attack one day...nipped over in me Hyster for an ice cream in between unloading tautliners...good times!

• Like 1

Bullimore and Parker were the outfitters of choice for our family, all our clothing (apart from underwear from BHS or Marks) supplied by them and I used them until we moved up to Yorkshire. One reason was the weekly payments facility that they offered at a shilling in the pound, this was a common way for a lot of folk to buy anything at the time, and I think may have been financed by City and Suburban Supply Co who were next door to Bullimore and P.

My first "Made to Meaures" came from there, and they undertook this from the bespoke department on the first floor, you felt as though you had really arrived when you accessed the first floor!

• Like 1

Bluecoat Street.64746.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgSome changes have been made in the form of bricking up the entire gable end.

This was a blue & yellow fully open National Garage in my day...Pumps and car wash. The wall of Bluecoat School is visible.Across the road are the dwellings of North British Housing Assoc...Cutts factory on Huskinson St.once stood there.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...