Disappearing Petrol Stations

Now we've covered the subject of disappearing car dealers, how about petrol stations. If you take away Asda and Sainsburys and Tescos are there any old-style real petrol stations left?

Talking to a mate of mine a few weeks ago, and we were counting up the former petrol stations in the Castle Boulevard/Lenton area, and in the last 25 years it's amazing how many have disappeared.

1. One opposite the Castle Rock/entrance to The Park - closed and demolished at least 5 years ago, site still empty

2. The small triangular-shaped Jet station on Castle Boulevard near the bridge to Castle Marina - demolished and been empty for years

3. A bigger Esso garage across the road from that one - demolished years ago, been a car wash for ages

4. Petrol station on Lenton Boulevard near junction with Church Street - demolished quite a few years ago; now shops and student flats

5. Further along Lenton Boulevard opposite Cottesmore school - petrol station closed years ago; been a car wash for a long time

6. The petrol station next to the Savoy cinema - demolished within the last year, currently empty site

7. The petrol station next to the White Hart pub on Gregory street- disappeared years ago; been a car wash for years

8. The one on Abbey Street near Dunkirk flyover opposite the Johnson Arms - closed years ago, been a car wash for ages (notice a pattern emerging here....?)

9. The former Mann Egerton garage on Derby road next to the Wheatsheaves - hasn't had petrol for years

That's 9 within a radius of about half a mile, all gone since the mid-80s. And there are empty former petrol station sites all over Nottingham.

How many petrol stations still exist which aren't in supermarkets?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

There's one on Mill Street in Basford (Murco - reasonable price) and one past Cinderhill island going out towards the M1 (BP - ridiculously over priced).

You'll like this story, a kick up the backside for Tescos.

When they built the Braintree by-pass 25 years ago, a local petrol station was slightly re-located on a roundabout on the by-pass. It's since aquired a small Somerfield/Co-op shop, very useful as it's open 24 hours. Meanwhile, Tesco decided to build their THIRD Braintree store just up the road at the next roundabout. Without Planning or Building Control Approval, Tesco secretly installed all the underground mechanism to eventually open up another petrol station, and of course, to go with it expand the store, despite planning restrictions. Well, they've been stuffed, they applied for the expansion and the petrol station and the local council turned it down on the grounds that it would affect the trade of a long established local business, namely the old petrol station. Nice one, clearly Tesco haven't a representative in the local Masonic Lodge, I like to see Tessies humiliated, why do we have to suffer 3 of their stores in this small town anyway.

There's another 2 you've missed in that locale Cliff, Sam Wards on the big London Road roundabout was a Shell staton , and there was a Texaco station just a bit back up Lower Parliament Street.

There was a Chrysler dealers opposite the Nottingham Castle pub too, in the same building as the NCT

Claringburn and Codd at the bottom of Sneinton road used to have the pumps inside the garage and the pipes on booms going across the pavement to the roadside, they sold "Major" petrol and diesel and Shell four star petrol, Major petrol was 2 star 5/1d a gallon, 3 star 5/3d a gallon and the Shell 4 star at 5/11d a gallon I think the diesel was 4/9d a gallon that was back in 1968 when I started my mechanical technology apprenticeship, last time I was in that area I think the place was a quick fit tyre establishment

Rog

Someone Remind me of the name.

Hucknall Road Sherwood, just on the left before you get to Haydn Road, Going north?

Always cheaper petrol in the 70s.

I think this may be a view of the site today, though I dont remember

it being on a road juntion?

petrolstation.jpg

Claringburn and Codd at the bottom of Sneinton road used to have the pumps inside the garage and the pipes on booms going across the pavement to the roadside,

Rog

Until a few years ago, this place on Nottingham Road Basford had some very old pumps at the side of the road which swung out over the pavement. Maybe they hadn't actually worked for years, but they were still there

Pump

Mick, you must be thinking of Teesdale Garage about 100 yds to the right of that picture. They had about 3 pumps and a large spares department. The owner stated that it was cheaper for him to buy petrol from Tesco rather than in bulk from his supplier, so decided to close down.

Thanks Bro Teesdale it was.

There was a small filling station at Carlton Square,

just up from where the current petrol station is.

It was opposite the old Windsor Castle.

There was one on Station Road ,Carlton, between the bottom of Mar Hill and Crow Hill it's (Or was) a used car lot last time I looked,

The Hucknall Road/Teesdale Rd picture is of a former shop that in later years was used car dealers, carpet store, and I think D/Glazing firm? at some point it was burnt out in arson attack.

The Nottingham Road one was Ropers (Star) Garage, mentioned in another thread it was here my mother mistook one of petrol pumps for the telephone box across the road in a pea souper during the blackout WW2!

On Valley Rd Basford, originally Fairfax Street was Fairfax Garage (as per the one in Heartbeat) opposite the old labour exchange with (rich) owner living in big house behind it and though I don't recall them in use The Five Ways Garage corner of Church Street and Vernon Road had old petrol pumps on it's forecourt.

For years there were disused pumps outside a former garage on the left of Mansfield Road just before Woodthorpe Park, and an open petrol station on same road next to Metropole cinema

Maybe 20 years ago there was a big outcry when plans were put forward to build a petrol station on the triangular land where Wilkinson Street joins Western Boulevard, at the time my son said there wasn't a petrol station on left side of the(through)road from Redhill to Clifton Bridge?

Off topic, but just noticed time of last post in this thread. 12.58am? didn't know such a time existed?

I've seen photos (but can't find any now) of a petrol station on Central Avenue, West Bridgford where the pumps came out over the pavement.

my son said there wasn't a petrol station on left side of the(through)road from Redhill to Clifton Bridge?

Would that be the former Cripps garage on Lenton Lane? It was on the left-hand side coming from the Lenton end towards Clifton Bridge. Definitely sold petrol until the late 70s

There was a small one on Arkwright Street betrween the Chippy and Orange Street.

A bit further towards town on the same side was 'Petes' (The Greek or Italian?) Chippy.

I must've been past this place as a kid but I don't remember it at all

It's at the junction of Gregory Street/Lenton Lane/Abbey Street, opposite the White Hart pub

Lenton

This garage was demolished for the Red Cross building - which is now abandoned and looking quite sorry for itself.

The one on the corner of Glebe Street was known as Tyreman Terry before it was demolished, think they had two fuel pumps.

Tyreman Terry - Terry Fuller, really nice guy, motorists friend. He sold tyres, cheaply, from a site on Broxtowe Lane.

Re Priory Garage, a mate of mine's uncle (I think) owned or ran such, I remember such from White Hart days, not sure if meant as "replacement" for the garage or what but later next to Hart car park was a filling station, for years now another ethnic hand car wash

Radcliffe Road, back of the cricket ground, Stan Williamson's,he had a motor accessories shop and pumps that looped over the pavement.He sold Cleveland and Cleveland Discol and I always had shot of Redex with it.

Off topic, but one of the Aces, Moggy Mick was buying petrol there one day in the early 1960's, when a big yankee car pulled up and the driver, a Canadian airman fron Langar, asked if his bike and sidecar was for sale. Mick sold him the old bike for a three figure sum. It was a Brough Superior SS100 with Brough Chassis.