Disappearing Petrol Stations

Worth a bob or two now !!

Oh and by the way, don't worry, It's not as far off topic as my discussion re an electrical bargain which then turned into a conversation on house bricks !!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

Brings back memories Old Ace, bought a 250 AJS from Mick about 1963, "race" trim no lights, clipons, manxman tank single seat etc, think actually a 350 engine in it with some stupid 12:1 piston, went well till crank snapped! another memory was going "witch hunting" to Byards Leap from Jacks Cafe after it shut, went on that brough, out all night, Petal Pat was there, think on back of fritz or johnny coombs? finally I too did an "export", sold a sprung hub thunderbird to a yank, Freddie Merkel, Alwyn Kettle sorted the deal, at time like winning the pools, (would be worth 10 grand plus now!)

ps again not that far of topic, there was an old filling station at Byards Leap, and here's another one c/w with pumps outside, on Radford Rd going towards town between Eland St and Egypt Rd, as I recall an old house actually, Alot of these old filling stations were forced to shut as it became illegal or at least against rules to fill up at side of road,pipes crossing pavement etc, those overhead booms were introduced to combat that but those too later outlawed.

I remember that night we went to the Byards Leap cafe and filling station, which was shut for the night. It must have been about 2am when I was telling the legend of Byards Leap and some of the weird things that had happened there since, eg the bus full of air cadets that crashed there during the war.

We heard a crunching sound coming towards us out of the dark, it turned out to be the old woman who owned the place, she was dressed in a full length white nightdress, and was in a wheelchair, crunching the gravel. Oh! how some of those rufty tufty rockers nearly s--t their wrangler jeans. She asked us to leave, and we did.

The petrol station connection?. We were sat around in her forecourt.

On Valley Rd Basford, originally Fairfax Street was Fairfax Garage (as per the one in Heartbeat) opposite the old labour exchange with (rich) owner living in big house behind it and though I don't recall them in use The Five Ways Garage corner of Church Street and Vernon Road had old petrol pumps on it's forecourt.

More petrol pumps in Basford...... I don't remember this one, (the bridge of Church Street up on the left, Vernon Road where the Thames Trader is, and Valley Road going to the right). It's been a crossroads with lights for as long as I've known it; this roundabout must go back a few years

trolley.jpg

There's a few filling stations gone along the road from Raleigh Island to Ilkeston,

Middleton Service Station at Raleigh Island - still there but no fuel, Car Shield used to be behind the forecourt, under-sealing cars in the 50's, 60's & 70's.

Shell on the junction of Russell Drive & Wollaton Road - operated by L Frost of Toton for it's last fuel years,

Dial Service Station - next to the Roebuck pub - Esso,

Garage opposite the Co-op, now a pet shop, used to sell Jeep, I cannot recall the fuel brand.

Zeibart used to trade on Henry Road/Gloucester Ave Lenton. It was a very thin but strong underseal. Car Shield used 3M underseal which was quite thick.

The 3rd player in the 80's was Enviroguard.

The problem with underseal is that if it did not adhere 100% pockets formed in it that held condensation and in fact promoted rust rather than prevent it.

Yes that's the Five Ways Garage Cliff Ton, that island and the one at Valley Rd/Nottingham Rd were still there in 1963, we used to see who could scrape their footrests going round such, had an old rigid back end Panther that was great for that! there was a bad crash at the vernon rd island, a lorry loaded with steel had a brake failure approaching such on western Boulevard, hit a bus going round the island, lorry driver virtually cut in half by his load, which continued through cab and also killed one, maybe two? on the bus

How did you manage to unravel that twisted memory of mine ????

Twas indeed "Duck Oil" and "Dum Dum" that I was thinking of (And had managed to mix up in my own convoluted way !!)

I think this is still no topic - almost,

Can you recall the freebies given away with fuel purchases?

Shell did:

Free films

Match-Money

Glasses

Man in Space and Old Car coins

More glasses

Christmas puddings

Even more glasses

Esso did World Cup coins

Any more memories?

ESSO did bank notes (Facsimilies unfornately) from around the world.

They later (Late 80s) did a voucher scheme , whereby you collected them and got what you wanted from their booklet. I got an electric scewdriver , and a hairdryer for my mum!! (Good swop)

Texaco did a 'Star' collection (early 90s) loads of good stuff there. I got a mini TV which I still have (still works , but not round here as I'd need to carry a free view box too!!)

Shell did a collectors card a bit like a credit card in the late 90s early 2000s (Foot spa , video recorder, and a bread maker all of which I still have and still work !!)

can't recall which petrol company did it, Esso maybe? know Ropers Garage did such, but when you bought petrol you got a sealed envelope with sort of one half of a banknote, if you got the other to match you got the cash, can't recall amounts but big prize in the thousands, only trouble was there were like 50,000 left hand halves to 1 right hand half (or vice versa)! before the public cottoned on you'd see adverts in evening post "wanted whatever hand note, share money" then as they got wise it would be say "£90 offered for R hand half of £100 note" or whatever,lol might have been this money match mentioned earlier

I went in to my local petrol station the other day and there was a sign in the window saying 'Free sexual intercourse with £10 worth of petrol.' I put a tenners worth in and walked inside to be greeted by a stunning looking young lady laying on a bed "Here's my tenner, is that the girl I get have a bit of rumpy pumpy with ?" I said to the guy behind the counter.

He replied in the positive but also said " But it's not as simple as that , you have to pick a number between 1 and 10 "

"5 said I" quick as a flash.

"Nope " he said "It was 7!!! "

"Ow c'mon " I said (A little bit disgruntled) "Lets have another go "

"Oh go on then " he said "Just one more"

"8 " I said hopefully

"No , I just told you it was 7" !!!

"Bloody con" said I as I walked out of the door.

"No it's not , your wife won three times last week !!"

(Roy 'Chubby' Brown, cirrca 1985!!)

can't recall which petrol company did it, Esso maybe? know Ropers Garage did such, but when you bought petrol you got a sealed envelope with sort of one half of a banknote, if you got the other to match you got the cash, can't recall amounts but big prize in the thousands, only trouble was there were like 50,000 left hand halves to 1 right hand half (or vice versa)! before the public cottoned on you'd see adverts in evening post "wanted whatever hand note, share money" then as they got wise it would be say "£90 offered for R hand half of £100 note" or whatever,lol might have been this money match mentioned earlier

Hi Ashley, This sounds like Shell "Match Money".

I seem to remember getting a digital watch from the filling station opposite the Wollaton Park shops near the Crown,this would be mid 80's. I taped it to the steering damper on my A10.I can't remember how many gallons I had to buy.

We had some green glasses given away with petrol,like whiskey tumblers, and the bottoms were thick dimpled glass. You couldn't break them, they lasted forever. I think we gave them away when we moved over here, and most likely they are still being used!