Disappearing Petrol Stations

Yes Ashley, I remember the building in question and the name of the company wont come to me?

Almost wooden church type building?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed this before, from this site. http://www.trolleybus.net/ And I've linked to it before in other threads. This is the trolley turn-around in catfan's photo.

One which hasn't cropped up before. Market Garage on Huntingdon Street / Parliament Street.

Thought people might like this photo of Tyreman Terry's Garage on Glebe Road. I have high resolution copies of the photo if anyone wants one just let me know

Posted Images

Mick and Ashley, Lenton Times have the answer to your query. Scroll quite a long way down, and you'll find various old photos of the place I think you're referring to

http://www.lentontim...e_boulevard.htm

There was a modern type filling station in 1960's on corner of Lenton Blvd/Church Street, a mate worked evening shift there then, just him in charge of money, keys to the safe, used to lock up at night etc, he was still at school!

I remember that place. Always used to go there because they were cheaper than anywhere else. Couldn't understand why no-one else seemed to realise that. I was disappointed when they closed

• Upvote 1

Just down the road from The Jolly Higglers or The Tesco Express Inn as it's known now.I used to have a Phase 1 Vanguard same as that.All demolished and long gone now.

Seems I got it wrong re the old church, it wasn't (later) occupied by church organ builder, at least not the one I was thinking of who at one time had took over an old bakery corner of chard street/zulu road, Old Ace and possibly others may recall Pete ? (won't say his nickname) worked there? my memories of the place go back to the bakery days when as kids we'd go round the back and get straight from the oven hot cobs, mum used to go mad warning of agonising stomach aches ! (which I never got)

Back on topic didn't the now "Low Cost Tyres" on Haydn Road/Crossley St corner have pumps when a garage. looks to still have tank vent pipes up the wall

Thanks Cliff Ton for the link

As I remember a church type building.

Thanks to Lenton Times. The proprietor of which is a member here.

castle_boul_tin_chap.jpg

Quite a few have closed on Sneinton Dale/Oakdale Road over the years. There was Claringburn and Codd just up from Southwell Road; then there was one opposite Green's Windmill; a Fina Station (which is now the Pak Supermarket) that replaced an earlier garage; a Mobil station that is now the site of the police station; one just past the junction with Parkdale Road and one opposite the old Coop at the top of Douglas Avenue.

Digging around on Picture the Past I found these which I don't think have been mentioned before, and I don't remember any of them

sneinton.jpg

Colwick Road, Sneinton

parkside.jpg

Derby Road, Lenton (that's the Savoy cinema on the left)

holly.jpg

High Road, Beeston

beeston.jpg

Also High Road, Beeston (Durham Ox and Greyhound are still around)

The house with the Bay Window which appears to be part of the petrol station on Colwick Road is where my old freind John lived in the late 60s. I left home when I was 17 and stayed there for the first couple of nights. It therefore has memories for me.

sneinton.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I am looking for the location of a Mobil Petrol Station, that was located in the Notts area. It was featured on Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and filmed in 1985. The only thing I know for the location is, it was a A/B road, not the A1 or a Dual Carriageway. I have put together a picture below, and please forgive the roughness, but its a mash up of screen shots as it appeared on screen.

You get to see the Mobil station first, then a large house right next door, and then about 200 years down, the next house as you see it in the picture, from Right to Left.wpab25b9df_05.jpg

Return of the Seven Part Two.

The scene starts at the Kegworth/Radcliffe on Soar road the A453, but that isn't the road, as its nothing like it, with no petrol station etc, so the continuity isn't right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl51jEGua0w

Starts at 39.08 exactly...

Like I said the continuity is all out, but the shot above of the Mobil Petrol Station is...

Lee

• 1 month later...

Anyone remember Sid's filling station and shop top of Westdale lane 'Esso Golden' opposite Bates engine machining workshop. Used to fill our 'bikes up there for the weekend coast run rain or shine. Sorry no pic's.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly Nottingham, but does anybody remember this place on Easthorpe Street in Ruddington?

http://goo.gl/maps/g7ExS

It was originally a Shell petrol station and an Austin/Morris dealer that belonged to my uncle. Became a Jet station, before he sold it.

I know that place. It's had a bit of a chequered history in recent years. It was a Skoda dealer for a long time, when they preferred smaller, family-run dealerships. Then for whatever reason, it stopped being Skoda around the turn of the century and became Daihatsu (as shown in Streetview above). A year or so ago, Daihatsu pulled out of Britain (in fact, all of Europe) and the last time I went past the place, it looked a bit neglected with just a few random cars lying around - no dealership or anything significant.

Give it another 12 months and I bet someone builds apartments on the site.

I do believe my uncle still owned it when it was Skoda. He changed to Renault after British Leyland dropped a lot of their smaller dealers in the mid '70's, then switched to Skoda - probably in the late 80's. My guess is that it changed again after he sold the business, probably around 2000.

I remember going to visit and pumping petrol for customers - before the self-service era!