• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

I don't mind some versions of one-day cricket, but there's too many variations and some of it has come closer to showbiz.

I tried watching The Hundred on TV, but didn't like it at all. It reminded me of American Football (which isn't a compliment).

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I tried watching The Hundred on TV,

We don't get "the hundred" version of the game down under. From the title I assume that each team receives one hundred balls? That is just short of 17 overs. What is the difference between the 100 and 20/20 cricket?

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The problem is that professional cricket has become an Anglicised form of baseball.

Americanisation is slowly creeping in to many "British" sports with its short attention spans obsession with useless statistics and endless substitutions. I have one message to the administrators of all our sports

"WE WANT OUR GAMES BACK"

10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

We don't get "the hundred" version of the game down under. From the title I assume that each team receives one hundred balls? That is just short of 17 overs. What is the difference between the 100 and 20/20 cricket?

I honestly don't know. I've never watched it long enough !   It's full of irritating Americanisms, with the cricket getting pushed into second place.

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Anyone watching England vs Australia from that magnificent stadium at Ahmedabad? 

I don't have Sky so can't watch anything live, but the 1hr highlights (?) are shown on Channel 5 at 12 midnight. Shunting it off to that time may be because they think it could be embarrassing.

• Like 1

What the hell is happening in English cricket these days? I've just heard that they have offered some of this hapless, inept and clueless team extended three-year contracts. It is nothing short of farcial. I guess it is in fitting with this team's performance.

Never mind about Mike Tyson...or even Tyson Fury....this was the real..Tyson.....probably the Fastest ever bowler.....if you recall him you must be as old as me......... Who is cricket's fastest-ever bowler? Benedict Bermange looks at the ...

8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

this was the real..Tyson

Yes Ben, Typhoon Frank Tyson, a fearsome fast bowler. Bradman said that Tyson "was the fastest bowler he had ever seen". I remember that Fiery Fred Trueman replaced him in the England team. I have one thing in common with Typhoon Tyson, we are both ten pond poms! It was only 8 years ago that he died aged 85 at the Gold Coast in Queensland.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just watching the Australia vs West Indies test from the magnificent Adelaide Oval.

From the glorious days of the 1960's with Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths ponding the batsmen, the elegance of Garfield Sobers and Rohn Kanhai batting, and the guile of Lance Gibbs and other great Windies cricketers of the past. To today, where the Windies are 3-64 at lunch on the first day. The Windies are blooding seven uncapped players and all the pundits are saying it will be like lambs to the slaughter and it certainly looks like that early on. My, how the once mighty Windies have fallen. It looks like they would struggle to beat a UK Minor County team. We have seen a couple of them in our 20/20 comp but so far the have not set the field on fire.

If I had a day 5 ticket I would be 100 sure it will not be used and be worried about a day 4 ticket and doubtful if play extends to a full day on day 3.

The pundits were right! Collapso cricket underway the Windies are 40 for 5 wickets still needing another 55 to make Australia bat again. Don't know what the administrators were thinking of, starting a test on a Wednesday and with a weak opposition denying the public some weekend test cricket. They seem hell bent on destroying their own game.

The second Australia vs West Indies test match in Brisbane is underway and at lunch the Windies are 79 for 5.

They are an embarrassment to the game and their test cricket status should be under serious consideration. If the administrators are wanting to kill test cricket then having teams like the Windies playing test cricket is a sure way to do it

Two large slices of humble pie for me this morning courtesy of Kavem Hodge (71) and Joshua Da Silva (79) in a 149 6th wicket partnership that has turned the game from a farce into one that could well be worth watching. The Windies resume today at 8 for 266. 

Joe Root and Stuart Broad are the only two English players that make the ICC's 2023 Test team of the year. Five Aussies are included and had the captain also. India were represented by two spinners. Sri Lanka and New Zealand claimed the last two spots.

Australia provided 5 players for the Womens ODI team of the year. New Zealand had two, England one, South Africa one, and two from Bangladesh including the captain.

The men's ODI team of the year was populated by six Indian players including the captain, two from Australia, one from New Zealand and two from South Africa. Notably not one from England

England were saved from a low score by 70 from Ben Stokes which kept them in the contest. All out for 246 with India at 1 for 119 after pummeling a rather weak England spin attack.

West Indies all out for 311, their tail really wagged Sinclair scored 50 on debut and just taken a blinding catch to dismiss Labuschagne. Australia 2 for 13, Sandpaper Smith out for six and Labuschagne out for three as lunch in this day/night test approaches.

It's Australia's turn to play collapso cricket, 4 for 24 at lunch Roach will be on a hat trick when they resume after lunch Green out for 8 and Head a golden duck Khawaja watching the carnage from the other end is not out 6. The weather looks dark and gloomy so there may be some interruptions in play after lunch. 

The West indies have beaten Australia by 8 runs in a thriller at the Gabba in Brisbane. In only his second test Windies quick Shamar Joseph took 7 for 68.

Earlier in the day in another shock the Australian women's T20 team suffered their first ever T20 Loss to South Africa by 6 wickets.

Not a good day for Australian cricket.

• 3 weeks later...