Did'nt know 'Rob 237'(before my time on the forum) but hopefully he would have enjoyed our Banter today on the sport he obviously loved,i certainly did,thanks folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

Rob 237 was a great friend of mine when I lived near Bingham. It was his first love, even before his beloved Forest.

In his later years he umpired many games in the surrounding area, and was always at Trent Bridge.

RIP Bob.

• Upvote 2

Rob is certainly much missed by me, we used to have loads of e-mail banter between us ( couldn't have done that on here, we would have been banned, or worse ). I rarely go on Facebook, but did so the other week and was shocked to find a 'Friends Request' from non other than Rob, I still can't work that one out??

Back to cricket, I don't think it exists anymore down here except at Felsted Public School, we drove over there in the summer as I wanted to show our Hungarian Uncle George the wonderful tomb of Lord Rich in Felsted Church ( no he wasn't on the board of England selectors, quite the reverse ). When we got there the village was packed solid as it was the schools annual cricket festival, as we picked our way through the Bentleys, it was clear to us that unless you can afford it, that cricket has died a death among 'The Great Unwashed'. I persuaded our friends 'Young 'Un' to watch the highlights of one of England's rare Test Match victories in the summer, he was quite impressed and the next minute was out on my lawn all padded up, enthusiastic, yes, but thanks to ECC education doctrines, no place for cricket in his sports curriculum, sad isn't it.

• Upvote 2
  • 10 months later...

Rob would have been well pleased today,..........England beat South Africa and took the series.........thanks in the main to Notts bowler Broad,and some great catches by another Notts player James Taylor..............

• Upvote 1

Well done England and Stuart Broad.

I'm less interested in cricket than I used to be but some of that is probably due to being time-poor as goes the modern vernacular.

Another here who used to correspond regularly with Rob 237 and always enjoyed his writings. The site misses his input but then any forum would miss those kinds of erudite, knowledgeable and well written contributions.

• Upvote 2

Stu, I, like you have lost much of my love for Cricket,yes its time,but I also think theres too much played now,all the different home competions and games in the middle east and that league in India,...........I used to love the anticipation of waiting for Test series to begin,especially the Ashes,but they seem to be constantly playing now,...................sadly Rob had gone when I joined the forum but from his picture i'm sure I came across him,i played a lot of Cricket in and around Nottingham in the 60s and 70s,i thnk he lived Bingham ? but he seemed to resonate to me the Bulwell area ?

Yes I think you're right, Benji. Like football there is probably just too much of it. It reminds me of what Cloughie used to say when we started to see football on the box every day, 'You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding every day and twice on Sunday'.

They ram these things down your throat all the time in order to make more profit but it only serves to take away the 'event' and the 'specialness' of it for want of a better word.

It's a long time since I watched regularly but I used to really look forward to the Tests like you and also enjoyed the three-day county game and John Player League etc. going back a bit I don't really enjoy some of the changes in the game, playing in coloured pajamas etc! I meant to try out a 20-20 but have never got round to it for some reason. The atmosphere sounds good enough but I never believed that cricket was about walking in to bat and slogging cross-batted at every single ball. I like to see the art of a batsman building his innings.

Yes Rob lived at Bingham. Don't remember if he was originally from Bulwell or maybe Aspley but sounds like Fly, as a long time friend will tell you much more about his past. I do know he worked at Bestwood Colliery in the offices. We would sometimes chat about Arnold cricket and football as was more in my knowledge and he was a cracking contributor here, bless him.

• Upvote 1

Watching sport is not something I do but I have nice memories of school cricket. At Portland Junior School we girls never played cricket but in the summer term there would be a cricket match that we all went out to watch. I think it was staff against the boys team but it was so nice and relaxing to sit on the grass in the sunshine and chat to my friends. I never understood what was going on and why suddenly they all swapped ends. I never knew who won! A happy memory. At BGS I remember a staff v school team match. Again, it was nice to sit on the grass and watch the 6th form boys play! Sports day was a similar pleasure. My husband did not have a good experience of secondary school cricket. In all the time he was at the school he never got in to bat once in a cricket lesson! They put the best ones in the team in to bat first and by the end of the lesson half the team had not been to bat. Next lesson it was the same order. At least with football and rugby the whole team got a go. Perhaps participation and understanding of the game is key to full enjoyment and becoming an active fan. To me cricket is still all about men with a "short square leg" "bowling a maiden over". I do not understand!

• Upvote 1

And some have a 'Backward short leg' to say nothing of a 'Fine third man out in the deep'...........lol.

• Upvote 1

Nice one Stu,was lucky enough to see all 3 play,...........Hadlee great NZ and Notts,Willey Northants and England,later an Umpire i believe,Dilley,Kent and England,sadly passed away far to young............

So it is mate.....................ive had too long on here today............Hadlee,Lillie,............yank,Aussie..............going bed...........lol.

Played all sports but never got into cricket.

I have a cousin Hugh Cecil Chilvers in my family tree who from 1929-30 to 1936-37 played in the same team as a certain Mr. D.G.Bradman. Apparently a useful bowler. I share his D.N.A but unfortunately not his cricket prowess.

img023_zpsrh1yavyc.jpg?1452986852956&145new%20south%20wales%20cricket%20team%201

• Upvote 3

Rob237 originated from Amesbury Circus, which I presume is what I would call Bells Lane Estate.

Prior to redundancy, he worked for the Prudential, but that was before I knew him in Bingham in the mid 80's.

Have a pint and a Parkie to celebrate yet another magnificent achievement by our Broadie.

#43 Davep................thats brilliant Dave,.........to have played in same team as The Don'...........to say nowt of Kippax,Oldfield and Fingleton......pity he did'nt make tour........being a Slow left arm spin bowler would/should have done well in India which was noted for wickets that took spin.

• Upvote 1