Right from going to Trent Bridge when i was 5 in 1950 i was obsessed with Cricket.............and knew all the Test match countries teams,Dad and Grandad were equally as keen,and they spent hours talking about it,.....hence knowing some of the players names your relative played with,

I was lucky enough to play all thru my school years,used to think i was Len Hutton,Frank Tyson and Jim Laker all rolled into one,lol.Sadly it turned out i was'nt,but the love of the game stayed with me,playing for a few local teams for many years,............i also played alot of football,but it was Cricket that one of my Ex wives actually cited as one of her reasons in the Divorce,being away most weekends she deemed it 'unreasonal behavior' funny women arn't they.

Only joking ladies,............she's still my friend...........she just hated Cricket.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

I was fortunate enough to work at Trent Bridge for a short period after leaving school in the mid-seventies. Always interesting to hear what the ground staff there had to say about some of the legendary players that had appeared on the hallowed turf.

Perhaps a surprising consensus for people who had witnessed the like of Bradman, Hutton and Compton and in more recent times, Sobers, Richard (Viv and Barry) etc. but they maintained that Peter May of Surrey and England was the best batsman they had ever seen.

• Upvote 1

Yes he was summat special Stu,............without looking owt up lol............reckon he was England capt mid 50s.........and for some reason recall him scoring 111 in a Test,............bet you knew some of my relatives at Trent Bridge............without using my surname there was Clive and Eric ?

edit..........111 Commonly known as a Nelson,..........remember the umpire Shepard ?

Struggling to remember now, Benji. My boss was Groundsman, Frank Dalling and his assistant was Ron Allsopp who was a great guy and looked after me as a young lad. Frank Dalling's brother Harry was there as was Frank's son of the same name. Those names ring a bell, were they gate staff or scoreboard operators?

Yes, Peter May - one of the great back foot players apparently and a very strong straight driver with a classical and textbook straight-batted technique. He sounded something special.

Peter May's straight drive often hit the stumps at the bowlers end,.............Clive is my cousin and worked in the scoreboard,and Eric was my uncle and was a well known face as a steward for years.

Ron Allsopp always used to tell me about what moaners Geoff Boycott and Dickie Bird were.

Anyway going back to the Aussie theme, I have a handwritten letter from Don Bradman to a worker at the Adelaide hotel they used to stay in

IMG_20160118_134617.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think he was,he was there for a good few years lived on Teesdale off Hucknall rd,.......good fast bowler in his day,his Dad another Uncle was still playing in his 70s, Ernie his name,played with him a bit for Tudor c.c.

• Upvote 1

Seeing the picture of the NSW cricket team reminded me that the record for the 10th wicket in first class cricket is still held by NSW

Alan Kippax & Hal Hooker 307 v Victoria 1928 - 29

• Upvote 1

That's an excellent artifact of 'The Don'.

Yes, I have to say Geoff Boycott in particular was pretty unpleasant, having had the brief 'pleasure' of speaking to him. This was unlike some really classy nice people in the game at the time like Colin Cowdrey, Clive Lloyd and Basil D'Oliveira etc who were gents.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean WAS the old Tyke is still alive he always appears rather arrogant to me.........................But there again I could be wrong ;)

He 'was' in my experience. Which is quite correct to say.

He was renowned in the game at the time I speak of for being arrogant and obnoxious.

Brian Close in my eyes was a great,.............think he was youngest to play for England...........and yes Ian they brought him back to face the West Indians when they were in there Pomp'...............stood his ground and was hit and bruised all over his body,.....even heading one into the slips......never even rubbed it........

Brian Close was a really excellent captain who had forgotten more about the game than most people had ever known. Recall him skippering Somerset against Notts one time when (I think) Notts were on a run chase and he used the rules very well, appealing bad light etc., to stop our fun and make sure the game ended as a draw through being called off or something!

There were some great captains came from the White Rose county, another being Ray Illingworth who was incredibly knowledgeable about the game. Great figures.

• Upvote 1

Always liked the 'Ethos' of Yorkshire cricket........Hard and not always fair.......lol..................and just out of interest Fred Trueman was almost a man of Notts,born in a small place on the border nr Maltby,..........in fact i seem to remember reading his book years ago,....on his birth certificate it read born in the counties of Notts and Yorks.

• Upvote 2

The achievements of Stuart Broard has certainly instilled a sense of pride in Nottinghamshire folk, a hopefully will invigorate an interest in Notts CCC.

• Upvote 1

I think you're going to see a few greats coming out of this England squad we have now. Two of the bowlers are already up there and Captain Cook has to go down as one of the best captains, I think he's No.1 in the world at the moment.

Always liked the 'Ethos' of Yorkshire cricket........Hard and not always fair.......lol..................and just out of interest Fred Trueman was almost a man of Notts,born in a small place on the border nr Maltby,..........in fact i seem to remember reading his book years ago,....on his birth certificate it read born in the counties of Notts and Yorks.

Up until the period we've just been talking about Yorkshire also refused anybody to play for the county that had not been born within it's borders which was also some achievement. Mind you they do have the most sizable county!

The achievements of Stuart Broard has certainly instilled a sense of pride in Nottinghamshire folk, a hopefully will invigorate an interest in Notts CCC.

Yes, it's great to see the pride that Stuart and one or two others have brought back to Nottinghamshire. Our county were one of the original 'giants' of the county game going way back and it's great to see Notts on the map.

Pity Swannee retired..... Far too early in my opinion.