A couple of years ago I went on holiday to Sri Lanka and there were several sports channels on the tv’s in the hotels. All of them were Cricket. I think I have mentioned before that here in Memphis there is a very competitive Cricket League manned mainly by ex pat Indians. There is an Indian guy who I know fairly well (he owns the local liquor store) who has put his livelihood at risk, given the amount of business I do with him, because he will not let me play.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

Might of mentioned this before,,,,,if i have sorry,,  used to play Cricket for ABGibsons the company i worked for in the 70s,, the owner Mr Barry (Gibson) also had a village team where he lived Orston,, he was ex Forces an Officer Captain or something,,and liked his Pink Gin,,you get the picture?........anyway he arranged an evening match at his Village,,

Orston v ABGibsons..........cut a long story short i had a really bad game.....out for 0 and my bowling was murdered,, leaving the ground proper gutted and passing Mr Barry who was sipping his pink gin with a few others,,he shouted...in his Officer way'.....by b,,,,,,n my surname and ''Thanks for nothing''..........the Git.......liked him really,,,lol.

Thats right cliff ton,,and back then i quite enjoyed it,,it seemed to be played just for fun,, Sussex i think without looking it up) won most one-day competitions,,they never really won much in the County Championship,,so it was a bit of a novelty........Jim Parks wicket-keeper Batsman was their main man.......

I've not been to a match for years but when I was in  pre-teens and early teens I used to have a season ticket for Notts and saw many great players from the past from all teams including West Indies with the three W's. Still got the autograph albums with many autographs.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Pearces Ice Cream. That's a name that had completely dropped from my memory. I even remember that poster now.

Pearces used to be rivals with Buckleys in Hucknall with their travelling ice cream businesses.

• Like 1

I was born in 1945 and I remember Pearces from before I started school to well in my secondary school days. Don't what happened after that, or why the company had slipped completely from my memory.

Thinking back now, I recall a school sports day held on the rec. on Linby Lane (actually Linby Road) where there was an altercation between Buckleys (who were on the rec. and had the contract to supply) and Pearces who wanted to be there but had to supply from the roadside.

This was the occasion us kids found a block of dry ice at the back of the ice cream van (don't know whose, but it doesn't matter) and we had a great time breaking bits off and chucking it into the puddles that were around and producing huge clouds.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

this cricket field i seem to recall..viewing off the upper deck of the 45 bus.68477.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgJohnson/ Derby Rd.68475.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgCripps also.

Reckon the ground was called Lenton Gregory...?......recall it from my football days of the late 50s

33 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

this cricket field i seem to recall..viewing off the upper deck of the 45 bus.68477.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgJohnson/ Derby Rd.68475.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgCripps also.

I used to play in a good quality 6 a side competition in the 1970s on that ground. 

13 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Someone might recognise a face.78229.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgBestwood Electricians, 1950.

Great picture.....Suits,,collar and ties,men dressed properly back then,,but i seem to recall the big untidy looking chap on the back row,,will be showing this to an old friend of mine born and raised in Bestwood village,,sure he'll give me some names...............

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonab said:

Pearces Ice Cream. That's a name that had completely dropped from my memory. I even remember that poster now.

Pearces used to be rivals with Buckleys in Hucknall with their travelling ice cream businesses.

The name of Pearce's ice cream seems very familiar to me.... I seem to remember a shop opposit Judges on  Mapperley Top which sold this ice cream - it had tiny pieces of ice in it.  The lady in the shop had white hair and glasses... I always thought her name was Mrs Pearce, but I expect that was just a childish connection I'd made.

Tom Pearce, the ice cream man, was a friend of one of my uncles. Tom used to live on Catfoot Lane, just of the Plains almost opposite where the new crematorium is situated. His bungalow was called ‘The Lighthouse’ and it did have a small lighthouse in the front garden. I think the lighthouse is still standing. He emigrated to South Africa in around the early sixties. The name Pearce’s used to be on the roof of his old factory at Radford. It may well be still visible.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Tom Pearce, the ice cream man, was a friend of one of my uncles. Tom used to live on Catfoot Lane, just of the Plains almost opposite where the new crematorium is situated. His bungalow was called ‘The Lighthouse’ and it did have a small lighthouse in the front garden. I think the lighthouse is still standing. He emigrated to South Africa in around the early sixties. The name Pearce’s used to be on the roof of his old factory at Radford. It may well be still visible.

Google Earth shows the bungalow as ‘The Lighthouse’ and yes, there is a mini lighthouse on the front lawn!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, denshaw said:

Been working at Trent Bridge for four days, don't ask about the result. Great atmosphere though.

I’m sure I saw you on the gate, on TV.   I thought you’d be there Den. 

• Like 1