15 hours ago, LizzieM said:

£135 a month

Flippin heck that's $200 in our money. I refuse to have any "Cable" TV because of the business model they use here, base level, kerching, sports package 1, kerching, sports package 2, kerching. movies, kerching,and so on.

If they had one fee that allowed me to pick say ten channels of my choice then I might, dependent on cost, consider it.

Sri Lanka beating England by 20 runs, not seen the excuse list yet.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

18 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Trent Bridge

Hi Lizzie, watching the World Cup coverage from Trent Bridge I was wondering about the strange shape of the playing surface resulting in one stupidly short boundary.

I can't remember the outfield being that shape back in the 60's and early 70's or am I mistaken?

What happened?

Oz, we were rubbish.  I didn’t see much of the match as I’ve been out most of the day but England were awful.  

I’ve been thinking about your ‘short boundary’ question.  Does it just depend on which wicket they decide to use? 

JUST tonight ?

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:42 AM, LizzieM said:

I’ve been thinking about your ‘short boundary’ question.  Does it just depend on which wicket they decide to use? 

Yes Lizzie on most grounds it does as the actual playing surface is one of a number on what is called the wicket square and when they use the outer ones they result in much shorter boundaries.

I was referring to the unusual shape of the ground itself that seems to result in a shorter boundary too. Most cricket grounds are oval in shape but when they built the stand in the left hand corner of this shot from You Tube it seems that the architect only had straight lines in his CAD system and no curves. Most unusual! 

Image result for trent bridge cricket ground

• Upvote 2

I know it's a bit late and I know it's not cricket, but Pearce's ice cream was mentions earlier. Their factory, in the 1950s was at the top of Grant street, Radford. I know, I lived there, I was that soldier !! Can remember a gang of us kids nipping in their yard and nick prices of dry ice or " hot ice " as we called it. Used to take great delight in breaking bits off and dropping em down kerbside drain grates and watching the resulting turmoil. Happy days.... And now back to cricket.

Caught Out !

Charlie Pearce used to live at the top of Catfoot Lane, just off Mapperley Plains, in a bungalow called The Lighthouse. The miniature lighthouse is still there in the middle of the front garden. He emigrated to South Africa around early 60's. His name is still visible from Ilkeston Rd. on the old factory roof. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some body asked me a while ago if I knew the name of my sister in laws dad, who's ashes are under Trent bridge ground. If you can get back to me I'll furnish with what I found out. Beekay.

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb !

An extra G & T. Tonight.  englandflag

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Yes got to admit fly,,although my interest in cricket has waned,,todays final was brilliant,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was only going to watch a bit, early this afternoon, but was hooked, and I'm still on the settee wobbling like a jelly ! 

5 pm, I was pacing around despondent and swearing profusely. 7.30..... Delighted, delirious and drained mentally and physically.

• Upvote 1

CH 4 coverage wasn't bad, but the bleddy adverts pee me off. Especially when it's for Skodas ! 

I watched our innings with 5 Live commentary, but gave up after Tuffers did his bits, then it was all Antipodian accents which I abhor, so I stuck with CH 4.

My late mate Rob would have been ecstatic at the result. The Johnny Walker or Bells would have been flowing like Niagara Falls.

RIP Rob237.

Today’s sport on the telly has been fantastic, we had two TVs on constantly, plus the tv changers were flicking channels too.  Cricket World Cup Final, Silverstone Grand Prix plus men’s Wimbledon Final.  Just brilliant viewing.  As for cricket  being boring?  It’s never been boring to me, I grew up with it.  

• Upvote 1

Just lets Notts CCC can be inspired, and pull themselves away from the bottom of the league.

Two brilliant efforts by the Kiwis in the semi and now the final. The game played in the way it should be. England won but the overall winner was the game itself. It did not finish 'til around 4:00am Monday local time here. A quick kip, breakfast and then a slow snoozy day here.