• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

It's no wonder your telly's  switched of B.

The way England are playing !!

Well !   no comment.

• 1 year later...

Anyone watching the T20 semi-final, England versus India from my home town of Adelaide?

England won the toss and chose to bowl. After their 20 overs India scored 168 for 6. Game on.

The winner plays Pakistan in the final at the MCG on Sunday. The bad news is that the weather forecast is not good

• 3 weeks later...

To my knowledge for the first time ever in a cricket match, the final of the Womens Big Bash League Sydney Sixers versus the Adelaide Strikers at North Sydney Oval. Good light stopped play. At the change of innings the setting sun was directly in the eyes of the opening batter for the Sixers and play was delayed for 12 minutes to let the sun set at it was deemed dangerous to play in those conditions. Adelaide ended up winning the game and are now BBL champions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just watched the most amazing game of 20/20 cricket in our Big Bash League. The Adelaide Strikers batted first and scored 139 for from their 20 overs. All the pundits were saying they doubted if it was enough runs against the Sydney Thunder as they had a powerful batting side.

Sydney were all out for 15 off 5.5 overs the lowest score by a senior grade team in 20/20 history. There was some seriously good bowling and some amazing catches.

If you are a cricket lover and get a chance to watch it, do so.

Another ridiculous cricket match in Australia. This time the second test in Brisbane. South Africa all out in their second innings for 99 in the 38th over. This leaves them with a 33 run lead over Australia. The problem, it is just after the tea break on 2nd day of a five-day test and the game is almost over! Reasons, South Africa's batsmen were wearing concrete wellies, couldn't move their feet and the curators prepared a "juicy greentop" Someone should be getting a right royal bollocking for that. Now got to wait until Boxing Day for the Melbourne test.

It's a bright sunny day 28 deg here in Adelaide and I am having a few prawns and a beer as we approach lunch on the first day of the Boxing Day Test from the MCG. Just about to have my sea legs fitted for the start of the Sydney Hobart yacht race and the charge of the super maxis out of the heads for the long run down to Hobart.

Can anyone tell me why years ago the batsmen were happy with just a normal sight screen, yet now we have to have half an acre of seating covered with white sheeting for a sight screen. The bowlers now are certainly not any faster than back then?

It's a bright sunny day here too Oz, only It's still bloody freezing !

My cocktails consist of a dollop of Olbus oil on me hanky and  Liberal swigs of Buttercup syrup and Paracetamol.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the behavior of the current Australian cricket team playing South Africa I really hope the Indians and then the Poms really stick it up them.

David Warner's ongoing bleating about being banned from the leadership group after "Sandpapergate" and wanting the ban rescinded. As far as I am concerned he, Smith and Cameron deliberately cheated by trying to doctor the ball and should have been banned for life. He should be lucky he is still playing.

The action of the Australian captain Pat Cummins declaring overnight and denying Usman Kawaja a well earned double century, he was left not out on 195. The game is a dead rubber and that action showed that Cummins is not the leader that Australia deserves.

The almost threatening way that the Australian bowlers and close fieldsmen appeal and try to pressurize the umpire into giving them a positive decision needs to be addressed. It is just not cricket and If Australia had a captain worthy of the name he would stamp it out immediately. A short square leg fieldsman appealing for almost a minute for an LBW decision when there is no way he could have judged it, disgusting

• 1 month later...

Cricket tips for the Poms to win the Ashes

1 Prepare dry, dusty, cracked pitches

2 Select a mix of top notch spinners

3 If you win the toss bat and thus ensure the Aussies bat last on a crumbly wicket

Australia went into collapso cricket mode against the Indian spinners in Delhi, they lost 9 wickets for 48 runs with just plain stupid batting by continuously employing the sweep shot. For example Alex Carey has been out three times playing the reverse sweep.

Also get back in their heyday Botham, Willis, Lamb, Knott, Vaughan, Boycott and Cowdray.

Can we also have Viv Richards and Garfield Sobers (used to live down the road from him when he played for Notts) as honorary Brits ?

Topic for discussion lads, pick a super team!

11 hours ago, MRS B said:

Topic for discussion lads, pick a super team!

What about Fiery Fred Trueman and Brian Statham for fast bowlers, Len Hutton for a batsman, Larwood and Voce, Jack Hobbs. Peter May, Ray Illingworth, Fred Titmus, Tony Lock, Jim Laker. So many legends, I'll ponder some more.

We need an Oz “in their heyday” team too. Warne and Gilchrist would have to be in there if only for the entertainment value. Dennis Lillee too.

11 hours ago, MRS B said:

We need an Oz “in their heyday” team too.

No we don't Mrs B. I want the Poms to stick it up the Aussies right royally.

Been here almost 50 years and never regretted coming but when it comes to sport my loyalties lie solely with England.

• Like 1

Oh good for you for your allegiance, can’t fault it. Thought it might be fun to field an Oz team too.

• 3 months later...

It is 7:30 pm here at the moment and just enjoying an after dinner single malt whilst I am watching Australia vs India from the Oval on a beautiful clear sunny day in London. Travis Head has just been dismissed for 163 with Steve Smith unbeaten on 110. It looks like India are having the same problem that the Poms will have, getting Smith out. Travis Head looked vulnerable to chest high fast balls but scored his runs at a quick rate and was not afraid to wield the willow.

Sadly no Ashes Test at Trent Bridge this year but there is a Womens Test which will be well worth watching.

Oh to be in England now that summer is here, who knows, maybe one more time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:04 AM, MRS B said:

Thought it might be fun to field an Oz team too.

Yes, first on the teamsheet of all-time greats would of course be Bradman. I would then pick that female fast bowler Lillian Thompson. DK Lillee is a must too along with your choice Gilchrist. I never liked Warne so he would not be in my team.