Love this picture too.......wonder if bad light stopped play?0_kirkby2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

Stokes did not come up with the runs, neither did Bairstow but Harry Brooks's 75 steered the ship home to keep the series alive. Did anyone notice the rainbow stripes at the bottom of the stumps. WTF

Cricket will live forever in Kirkby in ashfield...........i pass these statues everyday........the two Englishmen Bill Voce and Harold Larwood both from Nuncargate Kirkby in Ashfield were the main Bowlers in the infamous Body-line series of 1932-33 played in Australia.......it actually caused diplomatic tension between our two great cricketing countries.........The Batsman is the great Aussie opener   Don Bradman''

Edit........Voce was actually born in Annesley....

3_JS175610475.jpg

Ben, I'm slightly off piste with the cricket; but can you recall my maternal family name of Alcock who's origins were in kirkby and the local coal mining.

No Alpha sorry.............don't know many folk in Kirkby.....my origins are Bestwood and Bulwell........with a bit of Basford thrown in........:)

@Alpha my maternal family lived in Kirkby in the early 1800s. Hodgkinson and Shacklocks. Hodgkinson were local worthies, I believe, and have a street named after them. Shacklocks are still there: solicitors and plumbers.

11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hodgkinson were local worthies, I believe, and have a street named after them.

They certainly have it joins the main road through Kirkby the B6020 and at that end is called Urban Road. Hodgkinson Street near where it meets Urban Road is where the Kirkby Leisure Centre is. I worked just down Urban Road before I emigrated.

59 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Notts got off to a spectacular start

All out for 80 in their second innings. Essex's Cook took 6 for 14 after snaring 4 in the first innings giving him match figures of 10 for 73. Apparently, Essex may suffer a points deduction after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field size check. Sounds more like the EPL than cricket.

Meanwhile back in OZ, South Australia's long term Sheffield Shield Redbacks coach and coach of the Strikers T20 team for nine years Jason Gillespie has resigned. He has not announced why and what he is doing next. Some reckon the new Saudi league, involvement in the IPL or a lucrative international team coach, West Indies?