I recall hearing that both Michael Parkinson and John Alderton were born in Yorkshire, their mothers being made to spend their final days of confinement there purely so the babies if male would be able to play for Yorkshire.

My great grandfather was a cricket bat maker and made them for the great W G Grace. I was brought up on cricket, my father would take a radio on holiday so he could listen to the matches. There also used to be a dial service like the speaking clock, I think it was 16 for the latest score?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

YES !  England win the World Cup in dramatic fashion. I swear my ticker stopped at least five times. Ben Stokes, superb ! An extra G & T. Tonight.  

I forgot all about the dialing Anne,Dad always had a transistor radio for the test matches on the Beach in Rhyl,.........and John Alderton might have wanted his off-spring to be born in Yorkshire............but he was a 'Yellow-belly' from Gainsborough ,

Thanks to everyone who commented on this topic.

Like I said I didn't really get into cricket but I've picked up on so many terms and now have a bit of an understanding.

The knowledge of the players in the NSW team is helpful in filling in some more detail in my family tree.

Just one last request in the article #43 The last sentence - in his veteran years he was said to have two types of wrong-un mixed in with his leg-breaks. I like it, sounds typically Oz but any ideas as to what it was likely to mean?

ONE thats turns to leg instead of off' with an off break action..............and the other turns to off instead of leg.......with a leg break action

HOWZAT.......young Dave............lol.

• Upvote 1

I don't care what you say, cricket is my first love as far as sport is concerned. Yes, we had the good old days in the 50's/60's when the BBC used to show live matches in the afternoon, I recall watching Gary Sobers setting the record for Notts at Glamorgan by scoring 6 sixes in one over, one of his hits disappearing down the road outside.

It is a very technical and skillful sport, I can understand why people compare it watching paint dry, I've always felt that unless you play it yourself, it must be hard to understand the rules, skill and the passion. We formed a cricket team at our Structural Engineers office back in the 90's, I was captain, then in addition I went on to play for the Finchingfield Village cricket team, destroyed by managerial backstabbing, but that's another story.

The most epic match I ever saw was England V West Indies at Headingly, 1991, I recall queuing ages to get in, Viv Richards came out to bat which I was able to watch on my then new fangled pocket TV, he was bloody well out before I got through the turnstile, I got in to see him retreating off to the pavilion, caught Lamb, bowled Pringle, the rest of the team collapsed after that. The thing about that match was that I was sitting at the side of the wicket with all the West Indian supporters, the loveliest and funniest bunch I've ever met. Unlike watching it on TV, you can really see the power and speed of the deliveries from the side. I recall watching Malcom Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson bowl, it was terrifying to watch, how Goochy stood up to it was beyond me. Apart from that, it was all about the atmosphere in the ground, you could wander around at will, there was no bad Kharma, you bumped into all sorts of people, the Test Match Special team, Fred Trueman wandering about smoking his pipe, even John Major who was then PM, appeared in front of me, no bodyguards, like me he was just taking in the atmosphere, and felt safe and relaxed. But then just like football, that evil piece of filth, Murdoch, has stuck his oar in and turned it into a money making game, mainly for himself. What are you thinking of Jerry Hall?

• Upvote 2

Nice post Firbeck,.......i remember seeing Sir Gary hit his six sixes,i think his last shot was caught but the Fielder stepped over the boundary,the unfortunate bowler was 'Malcolm Nash'...........

Nice post Firbeck,.......i remember seeing Sir Gary hit his six sixes,i think his last shot was caught but the Fielder stepped over the boundary,the unfortunate bowler was 'Malcolm Nash'...........

And the unfortunate fielder who dropped the fifth ball of the over was Roger Davis :laugh:

• Upvote 2

OK Lizzie 5th ball...........you pedantic little thing..........feel like ive just been wrapped on the Pads...........lol.

edit. and I knew it was Roger Davis..............just didn't want to show off.

• Upvote 1

Gary Sobers was generally thought of as the greatest all rounder ever,and Notts were the only English county he ever played for late 60s and early 70s,and did you know he got Married at Basford registry office.

When you saw Garry Sobers bat, bowl and field it was difficult to even remotely conceive that there could have ever been a better cricketer. He could do anything and he did it with uninhibited style, panache and elegance. I've seen some good 'uns but he was head and shoulders above them all for me.

Not least, he was a gentleman too.

One of the elite sportsmen of all time. And he was all ours for a while.

Sir_Garfield_Sobers_9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got me thinking now Stu,.............about that laid back almost surly style and attitude that some great Cricketers had,especially the West Indians,they made it all look so easy...........Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards being prime examples,present day Chris Gayle is another of that ILK,.........Did you see that 50 he made in 12 balls the other day,brilliant...............although it was a slog match 20-20 that i'm not really into,and dressed in Red,just not the cricket i love.

The best English laid backers i recall were David Gower and Tom Graveney,they made it look easy.

• Upvote 2

Yes, the West Indies players did 'languid' better than most. Clive Lloyd always reminded me of a big cat - especially when athletically patrolling the covers where he was phenomenal. Viv Richards was almost impossibly arrogant in style from the very beginning but what a player - just incredible.

Just thinking about laid back English players now. Tom Graveney was just before me so I'm going on repute. I know he was a very elegant player from everything I've read. David Gower could be a brilliant stroke maker but I never think he produced as much as his enormous natural ability promised. When he was 'on' though that bat looked like a magic wand in his hands. He could get himself out at any old time though.

I'll need to think of a couple of other English examples!

''Languid''............what a Lovely word Stu,.........like a 'stroke thru the covers'......if you'll pardon the expression,......lol.

Yes the bowler was Malcolm Nash and he went on TV to say that thanks for Gary Sobers his name too would always be in the record books

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 2

Chris Broad is now considered the worlds best bowler, at the moment. Do any of you agree with that. Having watched the West Indian bowlers at their best, not so sure of that, but he is a good lad, he should get more confident in his obvious batting abilities, a good old blaster in the Botham mould. You are a great bowler Chris, you could be a great batsman, get confident and concentrate on your technique, you could be the worlds best all rounder with a bit of confidence, trouble is there are too many hard acts to follow, you must ignore what has gone before and do your own thing.

Yes 'Firbeck' very good bowler,and his batting is better than folk give him credit for,..............his Dad wai'nt bad either.

Both Broady and Jimmy baffle me. Both of them bowl fast right handed but bat (well) left, Zaheer Khan, for example, is the other way round. what's that all about? I can't pick my nose left handed never mind hit a ball.

I understand that being a left handed golfer who plays right handed can have it's benefits. A right handed player tends to allow the right hand to take over but a left handed player who plays right handed doesn't have that issue, in fact the hand that does the guiding is the strongest. Is this the same for batsmen?

I used to play golf with a guy called Bok Wessels in South Africa who was a lefty playing right handed. He was so good, exceptionally accurate and straight. His handicap varied from -1 (not possible for a professional) to 1 and I asked him how come he hadn't gone pro. He stated that although he was accurate and long he couldn't draw or fade the ball at will which is an issue in the professional game.

LOTS of people are mixed handed,i am left footed at football,left handed writing,both hands at Tennis,but cricket right handed batting and bowling and throwing,i don't pick my nose but if I did I think i'd be 'Ambedextrus........lol.

Brian Close got down to a single figure handicap at golf, playing right handed so as not to affect his batting. He later played golf left handed to the same level. He once went round in 76, hitting the ball alternately left- and right-handed.

• Upvote 1

Good footballer as well TRD,..........Think played a few matches for Bradford.......and England youth team.