firbeck

Anyone still interested in cricket ?

22 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Countisbury Rd

Canterbury Road it's no. 2 Medway Street, lovely friendly family & a good laugh. Jefford coal yard next door 

• Like 1

Yes, I meant Canterbury. I was thinking of the hill in Lynmouth where I once ran out of petrol in a Capri!  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Tom Pearce, the ice cream man, was a friend of one of my uncles. Tom used to live on Catfoot Lane, just of the Plains almost opposite where the new crematorium is situated. His bungalow was called ‘The Lighthouse’ and it did have a small lighthouse in the front garden. I think the lighthouse is still standing. He emigrated to South Africa in around the early sixties. The name Pearce’s used to be on the roof of his old factory at Radford. It may well be still visible.

Google Earth shows the bungalow as ‘The Lighthouse’ and yes, there is a mini lighthouse on the front lawn!

In the 60's the bungalow was owned by the Broadbent's.  Knew the children, Jimmy and Shirley (who went to Carlton Le Willows school).  She asked me to a school dance once which I declined - big mistake!!!

61839.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgNottingham and England cricketer Alfred Shaw..making bats at his factory on Castle Boulevard in 1880.

Burton Joyce man Alfred Shaw is holding the axe as they grade willow timber.

Been working at Trent Bridge for four days, don't ask about the result. Great atmosphere though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My old mate Pat North used to go sick to watch matches..boss saw him on TV.

2 hours ago, denshaw said:

Been working at Trent Bridge for four days, don't ask about the result. Great atmosphere though.

I’m sure I saw you on the gate, on TV.   I thought you’d be there Den. 

• Like 1

60106.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgRecord crowds at Trent Bridge, 1938.

Test Match- England vs Australia.

This was the match that Don Bradman refused to play on...until the Trent Bridge  crowd stopped jeering.

Strangely re the posts above, today is the 110th anniversary of "The Don's" birth.

• Like 1

If you didn't use Mr Google, well done Ian, as Michael Caine used to say not many people know that.

More famous as being "The Boy From Bowral". Spent his last days here in Adelaide.

• Like 1

I remember these facts because i always mixed up Brabham with Bradman.

A few words of congratulations must be said in recognition of the England teams win yesterday against India. The press and other media had almost ridiculed them to failure, but they came good when it mattered. Well done chaps !

• Like 1

My 1997 season ticket with entry to the members pavillion, just after I bought this ticket I was put on unlimited overtime at work, it was frowned upon if you refused any, Sooo, here's my season ticket with all the pages intact,brand new never used, anyone interested?

P1060937.jpg

P1060938.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

Hopefully you’ll get chance to while away the time at Trent Bridge in the future Rog. No better place to be on a warm summer’s day.  When our little Jack runs over the Rainbow Bridge we may well get Season tickets but right now it would be unfair to leave him home alone for hours.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I'll bring this with me on Wednesday

Rog

Don't want to sell it Brew but if anyone wants it they can have it, it's just a bit of Notts history

Rog