Shopping on line

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Went downs Notts 

Love that 'up Notts' & 'down Notts' you only ever hear that from some outside of Nottingham, whenever I hear it said 'going up Notts' or 'down Notts' I always have to think to myself 'where they going?' 

Its always 'Dahn tahn' or 'Down town' for the more central of us?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning Mrs Williams,...........Mr Smith would you get a chair for Mrs Williams please, Hows your Tommy? he's got a new job thats good,...........now what can i get you? Quart

Marsdens would have been right up your street Jill,.........high class grocers' for high class customers..........obviously served by 'high class staff'........''would there be anything else Madam''..

Really ... I blame Sidney Pearson Hill we all left bit thick .... My youngest lad got his Masters degree yesterday or is it Master's? hey clever clogs? 

Hi radfordred 

Even though I live out side the city I do not class myself as an out sider I'm a Nottingham though and though as when born it was St Ann's and I lived in the city for 20plus years. If any of my friends ask me I will all ways tell them that I am a Nottingham person and proud of it. Maybe I have lived in the sticks to long. If you can find me some place to live in the city please let me know.

• Upvote 3

On BBC1 tonight the Watchdog programme had an excellent analysis of the cleanliness of the crates that a certain supermarket chain uses when delivering orders to homes.  A significant proportion were likened to the inside of a bin!  Staff were given no time or facilities to clean them. Crates were put down in the street.  I have never shopped on line for food.  After this programme I do not intend to in the future!  

• Upvote 1

Likewise, other than that, it's downright bone idleness. 

I've never contemplated doing grocery shopping on line, would sooner go and choose what I want to put in my fridge, mind you almost all of our neighbours have deliveries but they work full time so good reason I suppose.  One family has at least 3 deliveries a week but they look as if all they do is eat anyway!  When I get really old and can no longer drive then I might take the option of food deliveries. Never say never ......

• Upvote 1

I must insist on choosing my own fresh fruit and veg though. I don't want to be palmed off with any old tat.

a friend of mine buys EVERYTHING on line, don't think she ever moves from her computer ...... Asda sent her 5 lbs of tomatoes in place of a bag of spuds, so yes, they send a close alternative!!!

• Upvote 1

We do 'click and collect' from Tesco and find that's very good.  It saves us time as I can order a fotnight's worth of food on line in about 15 minutes, using 'My Favourites'.  And it's free!  I use the village shop for certain fruit and vegetables and the village butcher for all our meat.  I always tick the box which says 'No substitutes' so if they don't have the item it's not put in the basket.  Each to their own, I suppose..

• Upvote 1

I notice that there has been a certain amount of criticism and offhandedness towards Aldi and Lidls products. Not only on this topic but others too. I've recently used three Aldi stores, and other than that low prices, I was not impressed with the variety or the quality.

I have also frequented three Lidls stores recently and have noticed a vast improvement in range, variety and certainly quality and low prices. 

The fruit and veg are good, the meat products are superb, and they now stock HP and Heinz sauces. The bread and biscuits are very reasonable. In fact I shop there regularly now. However, some of the tinned stuff is not from a known producer, as it's not always printed on the wrapper. At the end of the day, a baked bean is a baked bean. 

• Upvote 1

Some of their smoked salmon isn't bad and fruit and veg can be ok but it does vary. Personally, I don't like veg and fruit packaged in plastic. Prefer to see it loose, so tend to buy from either a good market stall or Greengrocery shop.

Some years ago, Aldi had some decent wines. Don't know about now, as I've been a member of a wine club for a few years and purchase through that.

If there was a Marsden's locally, I'd shop there. I believe one of our members used to work there...or have I got that wrong?

;)

• Upvote 2

Marsdens would have been right up your street Jill,.........high class grocers' for high class customers..........obviously served by 'high class staff'........''would there be anything else Madam''............lol.

• Upvote 4

I definitely can't stand veg in plastic. Broccoli is very temperamental and doesn't last more than a couple of days. 

I bet he did, and a dickey bow and a navy blue and white striped apron.

• Upvote 1

No Jill...........would have spoilt my 'Billy Fury' hairstyle...........short white coat with white Apron,and ofcourse a 'slim jim Tie'...............

• Upvote 1

Blimey Ben, we don't get that in Lidls !

• Upvote 1

Talk about 'shopping on line'..............always remember when I was Manager of Chilwell Marsdens,.1967.........Mrs Pettigrew of Field Lane (lady in her 80s) used to ring up to have her Andrex toilet rolls delivered,sent our Granville with em,and if they were wrong colour she'd send em back..........bless her, how was that for service.................

• Upvote 1

I did watch the Watchdog program, must admit those crates Asda used to deliver food, yeah they was dirty, but I think if you looked behind the scenes of most things we eat you would never eat anything, I've been in the manufacture & the food & drink industry I could put my finger on a lot worse things that happen I'm sure we all could.

Re #49. Lidls do a lovely and reasonably priced Pinot Grigio which is extremely palatable.

Also their cheap weak lager which I drink in the summer when I'm out in the garden, or sitting on the patio is far cheaper than the big 4. 

• 4 months later...

Good morning Mrs Williams,...........Mr Smith would you get a chair for Mrs Williams please,

Hows your Tommy?

he's got a new job

thats good,...........now what can i get you?

Quarter of best Ham and an Ounce of yeast please,

Bit over a Quarter Mrs Williams.....shall i take a slice off ?

No leave it, it'll get eaten.

weigh me half a pound of 'Tub Butter' please

Will that be all?

Yes thanks

Adding the goods up.....with Pencil and Paper).......ok Mrs Williams that will be 5/6

Opening the door........thanks Mrs Williams,remember me to your Tommy........

I will 'Ben'   see you t'morra..........

That was a typical service to customers,in Marsdens all over Notts in the early 60s.............or do you still prefer 'On Line' Shopping ?

• Upvote 4

Bit like 'Open all hours''really was'nt it.................by the way her name was Mrs Williams...............lol.

• Upvote 1