Have you met anyone famous in Nottingham and where

I took a slash next to the darts player Bobby George in the chequers inn chillwell .

Once kissed Kate Garner out of Haysi Fantayzee in rock city

My best mate was the rock city DJ and was going out with Clair Grogan altered image

Met West Ham legend Trevor Brooking twice once in a car showroom Saab on wollaton street second time in Ladbrokes on Mansfield road.

Nearly ran over boon star Michael Elphick as crossed the road coming out of the walkabout pub

Spoke to Des Walker in the corner shop on Cobden street where he was buying some fags

Had a few drinks with three of the blokes out of the Beautiful South before there gig at the RCH spoke to Nigel Cough the same night in Forman's bar.

Got a locking in a pub with Shane McGowan in Irish bar just of Alferton road forgot the name .

Grimsby Town boss Russell Slade was at my school

Johnny Rotten / John Lydon told me to fcuk off on the steps to rock city

Its not Nottingham but once sold some 70s tin badges to red or dead designer Wayne Hemingway on ebay

I know it's crap and we all pi55 in the same pot - but i'm interested

• Like 1
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We  have had a  very long day today taking a neighbour  to Wales, near Swansea, to visit a sick friend. We left W-ton at 8.30am and didn't get home until 9.30pm, so understandably wackoed. We called i

Sir Alec Guinness, Colin Blakely and the cast of Little Lord Fauntleroy when they were filming.  Leslie Philips, Patricia Routledge (Mrs Bouquet) Lesley Caron . All customers at La Buca when we were t

Guest scooterboy

As most of you have seen the photo of me and Kilroy we wont mention that one. Ive met buster bloodvessel a few times. had a few pints with Rick Butler drummer for the Jam. after the jam split up he played for a psychobilly band called the Highliners for a while, drunk with them in ritzy. I've tried to sell t-towels etc to Paul Wellers mum, also at Mick Jaggers house got no sales off either of them. saved the best till last Bob Geldof put me flat on my back in the midland hotel in derby. he walked round a corner one way as i came the other. helped me up he apologised and off he went. :ph34r:

I once saw Elvis serving behind the meat counter in Tesco's..

when challenged, he denied any knowledge of the king, stating his name was merely Ernest Pike from Grimsby.

he gave the game away though when he happened to drop a chicken pie on his blue suede shoes, exclaiming ' now and then there's a Fewl such as I" .. and on reaching down to pick up the remains, I heard him mutter something to the effect of how he wished he was back in Dixie !

Yeah. Brian May, Kim Wilde, Linda Lusardi, Jimmy Summersault, Jake Thackeray, Judas Priest, Paul Usher(still see him for a beer in Wimbledon now+then), Derek Jacobi, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Butterworth, Jonathan Dimbleby, Terry Scott, Brian Clough, John Robertson, Gary Birtles, Alan Hull(Lindisfarne), Cheap Trick, The Macc Lads, The Members, Leslie Judd, Carl Howman, Peter Howitt, Roy Barraclough, Craig Charles, Roy Hattersley and Fig. And they've all met me.

That's all I can remember for now.

The Actual

Jeez boy you've been around a lot,around a lot of what i'm not sure? but not bad for a lad from the Medduz

I once went to Top Of The Pops & saw Blondie,Lynx,Kid Jensen,& a few others who obviously weren't that famous or I could remember there names,but I didn't meet them only saw them perform in the studio AND...............I caught a glimpse of myself when the show was aired,i'm sticking my chest out now like a turkey lol!!

laughing

• 2 years later...

back in the 70s Errol Brown was often seen around town. Calvin Palmer moved back there in the early 80s and lived at his ex-wifes house on Georg Road for a while - he wore my 'The Wall' LP out! Also I did a gig with Kit Jensen at the Brit and entertained the Chairmen of the Board up at Scamps!

PS - if anyone knows Calvin's ex - Norma Palmer (Norton) or (Leivers) or her Son Robin or any of her daughters Joy, Julie and - and - oh bu99er! - tell them i think about them often but don't have an address after Lutteril road. :(

Cheers,

Charlie

I worked for a little time in the mid-seventies at Trent Bridge cricket ground and so met many famous cricket players including Garfield Sobers, Colin Cowdrey, Geoff Boycott, Clive Lloyd etc. Probably the greates honour however was meeting Bill Voce, the old 'Bodyline' partner of Harold Larwood.

Also at the ground thered be many famous non-cricket playing folk taking the ten-bob tour. I got to meet John Le Mesurier (Sgt. Wilson from Dad's Army). I have to say he was exactly like Wilson - I almost expected him to 'I say sir, do you think that's wise' a la is character. Very much a gentleman.

I also saw Jimmy Cricket in a paper shop at the bottom of Friar Lane. As he would have said 'There's more'.

DJing various places I met most of the great Forest team and Notts players too

Loads of others ,including the late great Edwin Starr ,I snogged Carol Decker (T,Pau) for a free chip butty at the Mardi Gras (I didn't tell her that the boss had already told me to feed them and he would pay)

Another list to follow I'me just cooking the kids dinner

Probably the greates honour however was meeting Bill Voce, the old 'Bodyline' partner of Harold Larwood.

Had the great pleasure of working in the same office as Bill at NCB Area HQ, Bestwood, from '58-'63.

Wonderful bloke...my ex-wife and I (who also worked with him) would often call in to see him at his house on Nottingham Road, Hucknall, when we lived on Ogle Street in the early 70's.

He and his wife Elsie always made a great fuss of our two young children.

My abiding memory came in 1977. Was attending a course at the Victoria Station Hotel on the opening day of the Trent Bridge Test v Oz. Same day that Boycott ran out Randall in front of the Trent Bridge faithful, and the day that Brenda came to Nottingham to mark her Silver Jubilee.

Bill Voce walked in to the hotel bar accompanied by this small shambling old chap...saw me sat with a couple of colleagues, came over and had a drink with us for a while...also introduced me to his little companion - Harold Larwood!, who was making his last ever visit to the home country.

Was also the last time that I saw Bill...he died a few years later, following a long cancer battle.

Cheers

Robt P.

Met Tim Healy at Arrabellas, or whatever the new Ariba after station st was called?

Also Jim Bowen There.

Cozy Powell @ The Slipper in Bridgeford

Bob of Bob and Cyril fame asked me directions,

As did that skinny ginger girl off 70's TV, now Pantomime? God whats her name?

Princess Di in Nottingham

Not Nottingham

Stevie Wonder at Frys Electronics Los Angeles

Gaz Top @ Kenedy space centre

Helen Sharman (Astronaught, first britain in space) @ D*rby

Got a picture with her.

Passed Dirty Den on the escalator @ london underground.

And a few people have met me in Nottingham

I met Leslie Crowther in the lobby at the Albany hotel once - he stayed there when he was recording The Price is Right at Central. Spoke to him about Phil Lynot of Thin Lissie who was married to his daughter, as I had been to see them at the Intercon. A real Gent.

Not Nottingham - but I did get to spend an entire evening drinking with the members of Uriah Heap and Def Leppard in a hotel "club" in Salt Lake City a number of years ago!

I met Leslie Crowther in the lobby at the Albany hotel once - he stayed there when he was recording The Price is Right at Central. Spoke to him about Phil Lynot of Thin Lissie who was married to his daughter, as I had been to see them at the Intercon. A real Gent.

Seems like we were at the same Lizzy gig all those years ago, Frank. See the Berni Inns thread. It's a small world eh? (But I wouldn't want to paint it).

The Thin Lizzy song 'Sarah' was about Lynott's and Leslie Crowther's daughter's baby girl.

Met Tim Healy at Arrabellas, or whatever the new Ariba after station st was called?

Also Jim Bowen There.

Cozy Powell @ The Slipper in Bridgeford

Bob of Bob and Cyril fame asked me directions,

As did that skinny ginger girl off 70's TV, now Pantomime? God whats her name?

Princess Di in Nottingham

Not Nottingham

Stevie Wonder at Frys Electronics Los Angeles

Gaz Top @ Kenedy space centre

Helen Sharman (Astronaught, first britain in space) @ D*rby

Got a picture with her.

Passed Dirty Den on the escalator @ london underground.

And a few people have met me in Nottingham

I was there with you for Gaz Top and dont forget on that same Jolly we saw Green Day before they were famous, at that Ramada in Fort Myers Fla??

I was there with you for Gaz Top and dont forget on that same Jolly we saw Green Day before they were famous, at that Ramada in Fort Myers Fla??

Yes you were there as well. ("my friends call me") Garreth wes making a documentary about NASA. I saw it onTV a few months later.

THe name Green Day is familiar, but I could not tell you what they sing? I remember the group, but cant remember which hotel we were at.

Some people we did not see in Florida that year The England Team! (Sounds familiar dont it)

Yup got one too

Tim Healy and Garreth (Magic the beans) Hunt + Patrick Mower in Arrabellas, all in the space of a week

Marylyn Manson ,in my bar (Tivoli) the night his gig at Rock City was cancelled (Dec 96)

OK two things in one post!

If we can count famous people outside of town, once when I was in Toronto, Cassius Clay was staying in the same hotel! I was waiting to get into the lift one time and as the doors opened there he was. I always thought he was a big guy - but in real life he was a BIG GUY!

Then the mention of the Theatre Royal reminded me of one night when one of the PF Choir got really, really drunk. So drunk he couldn't even stand up any more, so his friends put him in his car - which was a Triumph Spitfire - to sleep it off and came back into the club. He of course woke up and decided to drive home. If you all remember there was a car park just up the street from the PF door.

So, he drove out of the car park and headed down Wollaton Street but couldn't quite negotiate his way onto Parliament Street - instead he drove straight up the steps of the Theatre!! !rotfl!

Muhammed Ali (Cassius Clay) lives in Detroit - Mary and I saw him a couple of years ago in the airport. I would not have recognised him, but Mary did. You could tell he was a big guy, but he isn't anymore, and can hardly walk. It was kindof sad to see him that way when my memory of him was of an athletic young man.