Have you met anyone famous in Nottingham and where

Actually Ian, you could get your chance on Thurs/Fri...

Likelihood, (not yet confirmed) that I may be coming over to Holmes Chapel to meet an old friend - in some downmarket County apparently...

Last went there whilst sucking a Farley's Rusk...so unsure of the route - looks like an A50/M6 job...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We  have had a  very long day today taking a neighbour  to Wales, near Swansea, to visit a sick friend. We left W-ton at 8.30am and didn't get home until 9.30pm, so understandably wackoed. We called i

Sir Alec Guinness, Colin Blakely and the cast of Little Lord Fauntleroy when they were filming.  Leslie Philips, Patricia Routledge (Mrs Bouquet) Lesley Caron . All customers at La Buca when we were t

Yup A50 to Stoke , just past the 'Brittania Stadium' the road signs send you left on the big roundabout (At least my sat nav does) , ignore them and turn right, up the A 500 (the 'D' road as the locals call it ) to the M6 , then north for 2 junctions , junction 18 turn right straight into Holmes Chapel . (And if you were sucking a Farleys rusk last time over , I doubt that the Romans would have let you in to this down market County)

wow the dragons den bloke!

and some of the names on here! :D cool.

I went into Ice Nine, hockley, nottingham, as i was looking for a silver rat ring, and went downstairs.. and saw..... Richard O'brain! thumbsup:Vampire:

or i thought it was him! :rolleyes: but alass it was a bloke that was the spitting image of him! and he sounded like richard o'brian too! spooky! and to make things more great, i found a silver rat ring and i'm just waiting for them to phone me to say it's in. :D wooo! :yahoo:

Yeah Rocky Horror! ha ha haa! lips0

(wow it's gone really dark, within 2 mins or so! :O

I went into Ice Nine, hockley, nottingham, as i was looking for a silver rat ring, and went downstairs.. and saw..... Richard O'brain!

Com'n then Sam - put us old 'uns out of our misery. What's a Rat Ring and who is Richard whatsisname?

I've seen too many bands to list, mostly at Rock City. I saw Johnny Vegas on Parliament Street, Dean Gaffney asked me for directions to the Hilton, Robbie Coltrane at the QMC, Amir Khan on Glasshouse St the night before his Arena fight. And when I was about 15 i was in Allders toilets and Kenneth Clarke was next to me at the urinals, bizarre.. :blink:

Erm...correct me if im wrong, but surely this topic is about more or less "accidental" meetings of famous folk, not seeing them on stage!

I'd have thought peeing alongside Kenneth Clarke*, seeing a boxer coming out of the clap clinic, waiting in A&E with Dumbledore and being asked directions by some alleged personality could all be deemed 'accidental'!

* Trust he didn't shake hands...

Cheers

Robt P.

Loads, I won't go into that, I'll just tell you a funny story.

I used to be very pally with John Holmes, who I gather is back on the local radio, is that right?

When Kid Jensen, who I met in the chipoil on Maid Marion Way, was having a special party, back in the 70's, and I can't remember why, John Holmes told me all about it and where he lived, which was in a big house down Lenton somewhere. So me and 'Erbert wandered in, helped ourselves to a drink in the kitchen and were immediately pounced on by some rinse haired old bag who asked who we were, on explaining that we were pals of John Holmes, she said 'He's on the other radio station, we have nothing to do with him' and were asked to leave, feeling very guilty and much intimidated by this Barbara Cartland lookalike, we downed our pints and left, never saw Mr Jensen or Mr Holmes, who I reckon was in there but was no doubt cracked up laughing at our misfortune, he never let on.

ah okies :)

here's a pic of the silver rat ring i'm getting sometime this week,

R139.jpg

and Richard O'brien, played Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Picture Show :D

rhps_091OscarMoment.jpg

wait for the end of the video and he'll sing :)

he sang, "I'm your new commander, you are now my prisoner, we return to transalvania"

rocky horror picture show - wild & untamed thing

here's the wiki write up about him,

Richard O'brien

hope that's shed some light on the subject, lol :D

Richard O'Brien was actually the creator of the Rocky Horror Show

He also used to present The Crystal Maze on Channel 4

I'd have thought peeing alongside Kenneth Clarke*, seeing a boxer coming out of the clap clinic, waiting in A&E with Dumbledore and being asked directions by some alleged personality could all be deemed 'accidental'!

* Trust he didn't shake hands...

Cheers

Robt P.

Absolutely right Rob, but I was referring to the top part of the message, about seeing famous people on stage.

• 7 years later...

In 1988 Andrew Eldritch and Patricia Morrison (Sisters of Mercy) walked towards me in the Broad Marsh Centre in full goth regalia (I was 18).

I just looked up and they were walking right at me about 12 feet away.

I thought the angel of death had come to collect my soul.

Shortly after I came to enjoy their music and still have many albums. 

Put the wind up me at the time though and if you look at their Floodland period photographs you may see why :)

• Upvote 1

Sir Alec Guinness, Colin Blakely and the cast of Little Lord Fauntleroy when they were filming.  Leslie Philips, Patricia Routledge (Mrs Bouquet) Lesley Caron . All customers at La Buca when we were there. It was the dining place for the Theatre Royal. Alex Guiness and Colin Blakeley were fantastic, they just wanted quiet meals out of the way of prying eyes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

Yootha Joyce exited the Victoria Hotel, stumbled on the bottom step and barrelled into me (probably under the influence of the contents of a barrel). 

I steadied her, she thanked me and whispered "hope I don't do that on the bloody stage tonight"

Nigel Hawthorn walking down Derby road near the playhouse,

Frazer Hines,lives just down the road from me,often see him in the village shop

Rog

Frazer Hines often came in the Body shop at Newark when I worked there, bit of a miserable

person. Chris Chittel ( Eric Pollard in Emmerdale) did a lot of charity things with our shop.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

When the Playhouse opened in 1963(?) main organisers – John Neville, Peter Ustinov and Frank Dunlop were very keen to get a young contingent of followers for the theatre so they formed, I think it was called, The Playhouse Club or it may have been The Young Playhouse. Either way, it was an informal group of 16 – 25 year olds who paid a small weekly sum (sixpence or so) to entitle them to a Saturday morning workshop (most, but no all Saturdays), reduced price tickets to most stage performances (except first nights) and very much reduced or even free admission to Student Previews which were held the night before a first night to enable any potential problems there may have been when an audience was present but which weren’t experienced during rehearsals*. The best part of the Club was that after the performance of Student Previews, all members of the club could stay behind and discuss the merits (or otherwise) of the night’s work.

Doing that, I got to meet and talk to loads of stage performers – some well known, some not so well known and a good number yet to become well known. I never got to be part of a stage performance, though, as some members of the club did.

Some of the people I met via the Playhouse Club: John Neville, Peter Ustinov, Ian McKellen, James Cossins, Wilfred Brambell (I also met him on another occasion in the Gents on Trinity Square, but that’s another story), Jonathan Miller, Vanessa Redgrave, Fenella Fielding, Judi Dench, Beryl Reid, Simon Dee (who he?), Bill Maynard.

There are loads of others. I’ll list them as they come to mind and post later – if anyone’s interested.

*On one occasion the curtain went up and the draught from the warmth of the audience cause a full stage backdrop to blow backwards and knock down all the scenery for the rest of the play.

Were any Nottstalgia members also members of the Young Playhouse or the Playhouse Club?

• Like 1