Have you met anyone famous in Nottingham and where

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We  have had a  very long day today taking a neighbour  to Wales, near Swansea, to visit a sick friend. We left W-ton at 8.30am and didn't get home until 9.30pm, so understandably wackoed. We called i

Sir Alec Guinness, Colin Blakely and the cast of Little Lord Fauntleroy when they were filming.  Leslie Philips, Patricia Routledge (Mrs Bouquet) Lesley Caron . All customers at La Buca when we were t

I have seen a picture of Cassius clay jumping up to match Tug Wilson's height

Might be on Bob's Nottscops site?

Got a photo somewhere of my older sister sitting on 'Tug' Wilson's shoulders at the Nott'm Air display circa 1968 cos she was too small to see, lovely man .Told me off once for dropping a sweet wrapper on the bottom of St Jame's street ,scared the living poo out of me (I must have been 6 or 7) but I don't think I ever dropped litter again

The bloke who played the 'Sheriff of Nott'm' in the Weetabix advert ,in Arabella's, Remember the one, about 12/ 15 years ago , with the tune of the old 50s /60s T.V. series starring Richard Greene, and the lyrics that went

'Robin Hood, Robin Hood,spies the Weetabix

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, could be in a fix!

Should he retreat, back to the wood?

Cause he should, cause he should, cause he should'

I think he was in panto with John Inman at the time

Whilst working for the R.A.C. (At either Trowel or Leicester Forest East Services) At various times ,Chas and Dave, Peter O'Toole (Drunk as a skunk) Norman Wisdom (and I got him to fall around the car park for me doing the 'Mr Grimsdale' routine) The late great Edwin Starr, Alan Knott and Bucks Fizz !clapping!

• 4 weeks later...

During my time on many radio stations ive met lots of famous folk, so i wont count them, except to tell you how rude Dennis Waterman was when i interviewed him. Basically he was appearing at the Theatre Royal in Nottm, and at that time i was on Trent 102.8 (Derby) and for some arse reason, the people of that town didnt like mentions of Nottm on "their" radio, so i asked Dennis if we could talk about Minder instead, it was at this point he was not as charming as he should have been, to say the least, mind you, after a while he admitted that he'd been up most of the night, imbibing of the Scottish fluid, and was then up at 6 to play golf.....so he wasnt in the best frame of mind to start with!

Anyway, one person springs to mind more than others, and you'ld have to have been around in the 60's to remember him......Harry Worth the actor/comedian.

At the time i was working at Dixons on King st, when someone said "Look at that bloke looking in the window...doesnt he look like Harry Worth?"

At this , i went outside and did the thing he used to do on the intro of his tv series, by standing at the corner edge of the window, and raised my outer arm and leg upwards, which in the reflection, looked like i had both arms, and both legs in the air, and thought how amusing it was, until i had to go back in the shop, and serve the person, who actually was Harry Worth!

"Hello, my name is Harry Worth, I don't know why, but there it is."

• 4 weeks later...

Joe Baker when he played for Forest and I had some coaching from a Mr McKinley who also played for them, think he was a prison warder as well at some point. Tommy Steele when I was a youngun outside the Gaumont Picture House, not a nice experience though!

Tommy Walsh came to see my garden and I appeared on the telly with him, a true gent he is. John Stirland and Martin Fish came to my garden and again I appeared on the telly with them both, they are insane by the way and thoroughly nice chaps to boot.

I also met Christopher Dean when he was a young plod and I was part timeing as a store detective, he was far too polite to be a police officer I thought lol!

Served David Needham when I worked in a pub near the Nottm School of Boxing and when I boxed at Ruddington ABC I was coached by Mick Varley a 1964 Olympic boxer and a great bloke. I used to spar regularly with Tony & Kirkland Lang who both went on to do great things in the pro ring as boxers.

Joe Baker when he played for Forest and I had some coaching from a Mr McKinley who also played for them, think he was a prison warder as well at some point....

Bob McKinlay, Forest legend! Long-serving centre-half who holds the all-time record for the number of club appearances.

Said by many in the game to be the best Scottish player never to be capped for his country.

Went in to a coachng role with Forest after his eventual playing retirement and then, as you rightly say, became a Prison Warder at Lowdham Grange.

Died, aged 69, some 3 years ago. I attended his funeral service at a packed Bingham Parish Church at which famous ex-players, from nationwide, were also present...a mark of the esteem in which he was held.

Cheers

Robt P.

A gentleman was Bob McKinley.

He was unfortunate to be up against a lot of good Scottish centre halves at that time. He was Mr. Consistency.

I have his autograph along with 'Zigger Zagger' Joe Baker's and the rest of the 1966/7 Forest side. I acquired it through meeting another well-known person in Henry Newton who kindly came to my parent's home and took my autograph book to be signed by the squad after I'd had a bad accident as kid and was bed-ridden. A good lad was Henry.

Served David Needham when I worked in a pub near the Nottm School of Boxing and when I boxed at Ruddington ABC I was coached by Mick Varley a 1964 Olympic boxer and a great bloke. I used to spar regularly with Tony & Kirkland Lang who both went on to do great things in the pro ring as boxers.

Remind me not to pick a fight with Don

I actually met Dave Needham (boxer ) outside his (motor cycle)shop on Derby road when I was getting a part for my old Honda

I acquired it through meeting another well-known person in Henry Newton who kindly came to my parent's home and took my autograph book to be signed by the squad after I'd had a bad accident as kid and was bed-ridden. A good lad was Henry.

Sadly, now left crippled...one cortozone injection too many,apparently.

Cheers

Robt P.

I don't remember them having one there ,the only one I knew was opposite the old Wollaton Park gates on Derby road

In your boxing days did you ever encounter Derek Groombridge from Bingham?

Derek was David Needham's boxing mentor in his early days, and still runs Bingham Boxing Club.

Both David and Derek still live in the town.

Cheers

Robt P.

Sadly, now left crippled...one cortozone injection too many,apparently.

Cheers

Robt P.

That is very sad to hear. Henry was an excellent and whole-hearted competitor who always went in to win the ball. I recall one televised Derby County game when the commentators enthused about Henry going into a ruck of four opposition players and coming out with the ball. That was Henry Newton all over.

I worked for a little time in the mid-seventies at Trent Bridge cricket ground and so met many famous cricket players including Garfield Sobers, Colin Cowdrey, Geoff Boycott, Clive Lloyd etc. Probably the greates honour however was meeting Bill Voce, the old 'Bodyline' partner of Harold Larwood.

Also at the ground thered be many famous non-cricket playing folk taking the ten-bob tour. I got to meet John Le Mesurier (Sgt. Wilson from Dad's Army). I have to say he was exactly like Wilson - I almost expected him to 'I say sir, do you think that's wise' a la is character. Very much a gentleman.

I also saw Jimmy Cricket in a paper shop at the bottom of Friar Lane. As he would have said 'There's more'.

I wonder if you recall "Ron Allsopp" the groundsman at the club for many years? Hes the wifes uncle by the way.

Bob McKinlay, Forest legend! Long-serving centre-half who holds the all-time record for the number of club appearances.

Said by many in the game to be the best Scottish player never to be capped for his country.

Went in to a coachng role with Forest after his eventual playing retirement and then, as you rightly say, became a Prison Warder at Lowdham Grange.

Died, aged 69, some 3 years ago. I attended his funeral service at a packed Bingham Parish Church at which famous ex-players, from nationwide, were also present...a mark of the esteem in which he was held.

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes thats the feller! I didnt know he had passed away, he really was a great coach, he did several sessions with us at the Meadows Boys Club (indoors) and at Trent Pool near ladybay bridge(outdoors). I doubt there were many more approachable pro footballers although Terry Henessey also stopped and spoke to us younguns and had a lot of time for us. Strange how these things stick in your head. RIP Mr McKinlay.

I wonder if you recall "Ron Allsopp" the groundsman at the club for many years? Hes the wifes uncle by the way.

Oh yes I remember Ron alright! He was a brilliant guy and was really good to me in the short time I spent there as a young lad leaving school. At that time Ron was assistant head groundsman to Frank Dalling. I think Ron became head groundsman the year after I left which would have been around 1975. It was curious to me to see my old workmate appearing on telly during the Test Matches after that! At that time I left and took an apprenticeship in the print industry and I remember seeing Ron afterwards and him saying it was the best things that could have happened to me.

Ron had a great sense of humour and was always singing! He loved to give you a rendition of Johnny Ray or one of the other crooners he favoured. I rmember one of his top tunes was "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone"!

I was a young shy kid in those days and Ron with his down-to-earth common sense and ready sense of humour used to make life a lot happier for me as a school leaver unsure of his first few faltering times out at work earning a living.

He won't recall me but I'd love to be remembered to him. A grand fellah.

I know i said i wouldnt mention all the famous people ive met in my job, cos i have an apparent unfair advantage, but 2 people ive met, during my pitch announcer stint at Forest (last time in premiership) deserve a mention.

Paul Gascoine was one, and a really nice bloke he is too, with time for everyone, the other one is David Beckham, who id describe as an ignorant arse. The kids had been standing at the barriers for ages waiting for an autograph or a greeting during the warm up period, and as Beckham approached them on his way back to the changing rooms,the kids were all shouting his name, he just lowered his head and ignored everyone of them, leaving a few of the younger ones very upset, as up to then he was there footy hero.

You reminded me of two from some years ago that I forgot.

Windsor Davies (Luvley Boy) and Don Estelle (Little Sh!t)

They were in Pantomime at the Theatre Royal

Estelle would not give an autograph to kids unless it was on a cd that they bought from him!

I know i said i wouldn't mention all the famous people Ive met in my job, cos i have an apparent unfair advantage, but 2 people Ive met, during my pitch announcer stint at Forest (last time in premiership) deserve a mention.

Paul Gascoine was one, and a really nice bloke he is too, with time for everyone, the other one is David Beckham, who id describe as an ignorant arse. The kids had been standing at the barriers for ages waiting for an autograph or a greeting during the warm up period, and as Beckham approached them on his way back to the changing rooms,the kids were all shouting his name, he just lowered his head and ignored everyone of them, leaving a few of the younger ones very upset, as up to then he was there footy hero.

I am sorry to hear of your experience with Mr Beckham but you have to appreciate that after he has been on the pitch to warm up, a player of his caliber is 'in the zone' and needs no extra distractions from his usual pre match routine.

I am willing to bet that if the kids waited outside the dressing rooms after the match he would have had all the time in the world for them (Proved in my opinion by the schools of excellence he has set up out of his own pocket ,and the fact that he turns up on a regular basis to help the kids.)

I have never met him myself, but I know a couple of people who have and they both say what a nice chap he is.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive seen scorpions twice,once at the concert hall and once at rock city. Ive seen rainbow and iron maiden at the concert hall and i went to see UB/40 the other month at the arena.

I've seen too many bands to list, mostly at Rock City. I saw Johnny Vegas on Parliament Street, Dean Gaffney asked me for directions to the Hilton, Robbie Coltrane at the QMC, Amir Khan on Glasshouse St the night before his Arena fight. And when I was about 15 i was in Allders toilets and Kenneth Clarke was next to me at the urinals, bizarre.. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Us gels were on a night out at Blotts, we all worked at a factory and one was leaving to have a baby ( any excuse for a night out )

Anyroad, Liz Dawn was the star act, she was having a warm up drinky in a side bar as me and my mate walked by after going to the loo, now then, my mate had the biggest pair of knockers and as we walked by a voice called out " F***ing 'ell, are they real ! " and she shouted us over to have a drink with her, 2 or 3 drinks later she had to go on stage, she never left us alone all night, what a laff she was, very good singer too, we all got rat arsed and she danced the rest of the night away with us, I remember I had a jersy dress on that kept slipping down, as we were dancing she got behind me and lifted it above my head and her photographer got a lovely shot of my underwear, smashing lady and great fun, no airs and graces there :Friends:

Us gels were on a night out at Blotts, we all worked at a factory and one was leaving to have a baby ( any excuse for a night out )

Anyroad, Liz Dawn was the star act, she was having a warm up drinky in a side bar as me and my mate walked by after going to the loo, now then, my mate had the biggest pair of knockers and as we walked by a voice called out " F***ing 'ell, are they real ! " and she shouted us over to have a drink with her, 2 or 3 drinks later she had to go on stage, she never left us alone all night, what a laff she was, very good singer too, we all got rat arsed and she danced the rest of the night away with us, I remember I had a jersy dress on that kept slipping down, as we were dancing she got behind me and lifted it above my head and her photographer got a lovely shot of my underwear, smashing lady and great fun, no airs and graces there :Friends:

She's dead now though eh?

Saw it on telly I did

Well at least Mrs Frank thinks she's dead!

Why do all you females think telly's real?

Only jokin'