Films & TV Series in Nottingham?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think you will find you have got your films mixed, Sons and Lovers was a great film about DH and set ofcourse in Notts,you refer to Women in Love..

Smiley's people was based on several real spy activities but some could not be told at the time. The exchange of spies usually took place on Glienicke Bridge in Berlin. Due to the Tom Hanks film, its

I had the dubious honour of being in the audience twice for that show... In the early 90's I had a saturday job at Asda, I never bothered with it but quite a few of the staff volunteered for the Supe

No it wasn't Wollaton. Just spoken to the Thurgarton CC chairman over a beer. It was Thrumpton. Boots farms owned the land at the time including the Priory and cricket ground. They didn't want the publicity as they had a large experimental animal centre nearby. Smoking beagles etc. They didn't want the animal rights people getting wind of it so they said no.

The first series was Wollaton, the second series was Thrumpton and the third series was somewhere else

Smiley's People...Lady Bay Bridge/acting as Checkpoint Charlie.

Smiley's people was based on several real spy activities but some could not be told at the time. The exchange of spies usually took place on Glienicke Bridge in Berlin. Due to the Tom Hanks film, its known as the Bridge of Spies. Checkpoint Charlie was not on a bridge and therefore security to exchange spies would have been severely limited.

As an aside, Rudolf Abel, in the Hanks film, was in fact a Geordie by birth!

• Upvote 1

The Pink Windmill Show was done there. And EMU TV.

There was also the spin-off series based around Grotbags the witch, who had been in some of the Emu programmes.

I had the dubious honour of being in the audience twice for that show...

In the early 90's I had a saturday job at Asda, I never bothered with it but quite a few of the staff volunteered for the Supermarket Sweep setup in the Hyson Green branch.

As already mentioned, Once Upon a Time in the Midlands was shot partly in Carlton, towards the top of Highfield Drive IIRC as you got some great vistas over towards the cricket pitch and Frank Wheldon (maybe even the ski slope if it was still there in 2002?)

If your of liberal mind then the film Weekend (which is actually very good) was also shot in Nottingham, mainly around the flats behind the Savoy on Derby road.

And I've been reliably informed that there is movie of XXX rated content on a certain rodent named adult movie website filmed by the shops on Mapperley Plains, until they retire to the bedroom.

• Upvote 1

"Somewhere else", after research, was Colston Basset but not at the cricket ground. Just a contrived set near the old church.

Thanks and well done for finding that thumbsup

trevorthegasman

Sons and Lovers, the film with men wresting naked in mud?

Never been a fan of DH Lawrence. It was part of the curriculum at Bilborough College but I hated The Rainbow. Later I learned that it is quite possible to despise "famous" works of literature without actually studying them for exams.

trevorthegasman

Sons and Lovers, the film with men wresting naked in mud?

Never been a fan of DH Lawrence. It was part of the curriculum at Bilborough College but I hated The Rainbow. Later I learned that it is quite possible to despise "famous" works of literature without actually studying them for exams.

Think you will find you have got your films mixed, Sons and Lovers was a great film about DH and set ofcourse in Notts,you refer to Women in Love..

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...

I absolutely love this thread. So many great actors and actresses hail from Nottinghamshire and they're all proud of the fact. Coupled with such great locations for filming, it's really the best in the country. It's a great pity that TV isn't what it used to be. I love everything made by Shane Meadows and the talent he has discovered. 

On 19 May 2016 at 8:40 PM, mercurydancer said:

Equally I must say that it is possible to read really great works of literature which never make it to the exams. Sillitoe was certainly excluded form any exam I ever took, although I did write an essay about his work at RMAS.

One of my set books for Isolation theme for English Literature O level in 1970 was The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe.

Tim

I recall one poet (Adrian Mitchell) who forbade any of his poetry to be used in an exam. I sort of enjoyed Eng Lit but it seemed limited. I have begun to appreciate Dickens, but he was writing serial stories for newspapers. When you get that, his stories make sense. 

Sillitoe doesnt really fit anywhere. Maybe in the 60s it was kitchen sink drama but his eloquence even now, transcends Nottingham in the 1950s. 

As for poetry, I adore TS Eliot. Once, on a return from France, the A1 was closed due to an accident and we were diverted off. I found myself in Great Gidding. Little Gidding was not far away. Happy accident of time and place. 

• 3 weeks later...

Happyinyork,Welcome to Nottstalgia, There was a topic posted a few years ago on this site about the Boon series and the locations around Nottingham it was filmed in,it was first started by a member called "Avocet" seemed to go on for ages,might be worth doing a search here to find out more or,wait for Cliff ton to come along,he'll know exactly where to find the topic

Rog

A mate of mine from the 60's, Bill Hammond from Aspley performed the motorcycle riding and stunts instead of Michael Elphick doing them. 

Not seen him for over 45 years.

One series that doesn't appear to have been mentioned is Playing the Field.  Although it was based around a Yorkshire football team, some scenes were filmed in Nottm, including several that were filmed in my own house (before I owned it!) in West Bridgford.  I was reliably informed by the seller that Ricky Tomlinson had been filmed on our 'throne', a bedroom scene was filmed there and some kind of party was filmed in our dining room as well as shots in the street (I think it was a postman delivering something).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144728/

Around 1992 Central TV had a kids series about a boy (aged around 10-12) and his dog, but I can't remember what it was called.  I think the dog could speak or something, but anyway they filmed that in various locations around Nottm including in the Meadows because I remember being blocked from entering Wilford Crescent East one day!

I've also just remembered that an independent made documentary was recently released that chronicles the 1980's breakdance craze from a Nottingham perspective.  Although much of the filming is recent interviews, it's all still filmed around Nottingham, and there are some great clips and photos from the 80's too!

There's a great clip of the old BHS in Broadmarsh in the clip on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34244395) and there are more clips on YouTube too.  For those who are really interested the film is available to buy on DVD

1 hour ago, Notts Boy said:

Around 1992 Central TV had a kids series about a boy (aged around 10-12) and his dog, but I can't remember what it was called.  I think the dog could speak or something, but anyway they filmed that in various locations around Nottm including in the Meadows because I remember being blocked from entering Wilford Crescent East one day!

With spectacular imagination, it was called 'Woof'.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0143078/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm